Bonair Oxygen Molds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bonair Oxygen Molds

Does anyone know what happened to the Bonair Oxygen molds?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm still trying to find the mystery Burro molds in Mexico
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Destroyed in the Bonair factory fire in 2002.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks Carl, I just read about the fir but still thought I drop a line to the town where the factory was. You never know where things will lead.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

The site of the old Bonair factory is now used by a structural steel factory (Canatal) Absolutely nothing left of Bonair.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Thanks Carl, I just read about the fir but still thought I drop a line to the town where the factory was. You never know where things will lead.
Norm the company was in financial trouble just before the fire - actually as I understand it they started making the Oxygen in the hopes that producing such a unique trailer might save them.

After the fire they declared bankruptcy so I don't think you will find anything left around in regards to the company.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the Bonaire Oxygen is one of the most unique, beautiful all molded-towables ever built. YMMV I'm very visual and there's something about that shape that makes my heart sing. Lucky, lucky folks that own one I feel very fortunate to have been able to physically see one at the Oregon Gathering several years back. Totally cool!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Florida
Everyone,

Thank you for your help. I have been able to track down the last owner of Bonair. I have now read all the posts and find the Bonair an interesting and physically attractive design.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I agree with you about the Oxygen. I saw one (exterior only) in person while camping in Minnesota a few years back, and it was visually very exciting.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It is attractive but inside it was a bit lacking. Space and storage was not well utilized. I know a party who has one and they have done some pretty great custom wood and fiberglass work inside theirs - blending it in with the original stuff - hard to know where the new items start and old end. I think if they had sold it originally as they have modified it, it probable would have been flying off the shelf .
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Florida
Carol,

I believe you are absolutely correct.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only bad thing I've read about for the Bonaire Oxygen... was backing it up! Because of the pointed back end, there wasn't any way to determine where the rear of the trailer was. Thank goodness for cameras and spotters .

I agree, the interior needed some help. Lots of owners have figured out how to make it work. They're still a beautiful, wonderful all molded trailer. SWOON!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
It is attractive but inside it was a bit lacking. Space and storage was not well utilized. I know a party who has one and they have done some pretty great custom wood and fiberglass work inside theirs - blending it in with the original stuff - hard to know where the new items start and old end. I think if they had sold it originally as they have modified it, it probable would have been flying off the shelf .
Carol, Would you send me a PM with that person's name?

Thank you

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bonair
Nova Scotia
If you should be fortunate enough to find the owner or someone who was involved with project development, please post some history and rational for the concept and it's evolution. The design is so unique that it deserves documentation.

We just returned from a trip through the NE and I was surprised by the interest and questions folks seem to have about this trailer.
Vann in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann in NS View Post
If you should be fortunate enough to find the owner or someone who was involved with project development, please post some history and rational for the concept and it's evolution. The design is so unique that it deserves documentation.

We just returned from a trip through the NE and I was surprised by the interest and questions folks seem to have about this trailer.
A couple weeks ago we took a trip up the Maine coast. On the way home we spotted an Oxygen pulling out of a mall (walmart?) on route 2 in Rumford, Me. Was that you? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: Rob
Nova Scotia
Yikes a coincidence or what.. that was us pulling out of the Mardens and Tractor Store parking lot in Rumford.
We drove Rt 2 through ME,NH,VT and NY to visit friends in Ontario and came back the same way...
Vann in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Yikes a coincidence or what.. that was us pulling out of the Mardens and Tractor Store parking lot in Rumford.
We drove Rt 2 through ME,NH,VT and NY to visit friends in Ontario and came back the same way...
We waved
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #18

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Bonair Oxygen molds?
Starting to get that entrepreneurial spirit again Norm?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #19

Florida
Rick...Maybe

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #20

Name: Grant
Alberta
Quote:

I wax the exterior of my oxygen every 2 years (I find it to be a gruelling job, hence every 2nd year), about 4 years ago I made the mistake of parking it in our front driveway for waxing and was inundated by passers by with compliments to its design as well as offers for purchase. What also resulted was a gentleman stopping by that seem very knowledgeable about the origin, manufacturing and moulds. He suggested that he knew where and who possessed the original moulds and that they had indeed been saved from the fire. He was attempting to orchestrate their purchase for his own interests. His interests it seems was once acquired he was going to incorporate the units into the design of "houseboats". The oxygen units would be affixed to a platform and pontoons would offer the floatation. He felt that due to their design they were perfect for the application into a marine environment. Initially my bs sensor kicked in but as I inquired further any incongruencies seemed to dissipate and I was convinced that at least the moulds still existed. About 2 years later my front door bell rang and it was the same gentlemen as my unit had been parked in the front drive and he was just stopping in to chat. I asked about the previously described "moulds" and his progress in acquiring them. He indicated that he had "missed the boat" (no pun intended regarding the houseboat refit). He indicated that he'd experienced a heart attack and after surgery and an extensive recovery it had come to light that the moulds had gone in another direction.
To this day I believe his story regarding the moulds existence, as for his desire in obtaining them for the purpose of a houseboat refit, probably just a desire or dream.
No yarn here, at least not from me.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen