Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #41

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Seriously, I was not attempting to make an analogy between a Scamp and a privy (the PC way to refer to a $#/+house). I was really only trying to let Floyd know that my dissatisfaction with my Scamp did not lead to hyperbolic posts (I have in no way exaggerated the problems/shoddy construction I perceived plagued my Scamp). Hey, if you love your Scamp, great. I absolutely hated mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Whoa, easy there big fella... no offense taken, and none meant. I thought your analogy particularly apt given that ALL molded fiberglass trailers owe their heritage to Ray Olecko who found inspiration for his 1968 invention of the Boler in a fiberglass septic tank he'd designed. If you follow the link I provided in my earlier post, it goes to the History of the Boler on Bolerama.com.

The history of Scamp is that they were originally contract builders for the American Boler Company, and when Boler went under, they began building Scamp trailers in the Boler molds which makes the Scamp a first-generation cousin of the original Boler design...

FWIW I have, in fact, owned five Scamps spread over many years and have found them, like most fiberglass RVs, to be of simple, reliable, and when something breaks or leaks, repairable construction. They're not necessarily superior nor are they inferior... they're just a good, solid product. But then so were the UHaul CT-13, the Trillium 4500, the Love Bug II, the Burro 17 I had. I have to put the two Bigfoot trailers I had in a separate class as they were a LOT more expensive and had features unavailable on most other trailers (at that time.)

So, I wasn't dissin' you, nor was I dissin' Scamp... I just thought your analogy about the rollin' porta-potty was amusing and in some ways, at least moderately accurate... given the lineage of the genre.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have always been under the impression that this forum welcomed owners of ALL brands of Fiberglass trailers. Thats a good thing as it allows people such as the original poster to ask the question he did ask and get feed back from from others, even some who have actually owned both brands of trailers!
I (briefly) thought that was the case here, but as one of those who has owned both I foolishly stuck my head up above the trenches and the fires were quickly lit under the stake. I'm going back to only offering my experiences to folks who PM me and ask -- angry folks hereabouts!!

I'll quiet slink back over to the Escape Forum where us heretics "belong" I recon.
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #43

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Everyone,
I just have to talk here. Although I am listed as a Senior Member, I am by no means senior in knowledge of FGRV's. In fact, my senior status was certainly arrived at by posting countless questions to others when problems or just general inquiries popped into my head. Most of the time, I am just a lurker and a learner here. One of the reasons why...

I become so saddened when posts/threads turn into jumping grounds. Jumping down another's throat, that is. As for this thread, I believe the simple thing we are seeing here is just like you witness with automobiles day in and day out. For every 10 people who love their Ford, Chevy, Toyota etc., 10 more have had a bad experience and this formulates their negative opinion of the product. This is normal! Experience is the basis of opinion. I, personally, am not offended in the slightest when a person here posts a negative experience with any brand of trailer, and that includes a Scamp (of which I own). This site is not to tout one brand over another. This is simply that person's experience. I am grateful for all postings, and then if I am interested further, take that information as a springboard and begin my own research.

Hey, I've never even stepped foot into another brand of FGRV, although I do see from reading here that all brands have their pros/cons. I own a Scamp because it came my way through serendipity and human kindness, and I could afford it. Heck, if it had been a Casita or Escape or other brand I probably would have bought that too, for I knew little of FGRV's when I made my purchase. As embarrassing as it sounds, I bought one because I thought they were cute. In all fairness, now that I'm a big old, 2 year owning big shot, I can say there would be several things I would ask Scamp to change if I were buying a new one, with one being glassing in the top of the floor instead of just the ground side (would be nice for potential indoor leaks) and using plywood instead of OSB. Just my opinion! It doesn't make me a "hater" as my kids' generation calls it.

So please...keep posting all of your experiences, good and bad, and let's be loving, intelligent people and realize these are just others' experiences, taken for all their worth for us to learn by or simply to read, and stop waiting around the corner to jump somebody. I sadly admit it is one of the reasons I don't post much advice here, even though I am certainly well versed enough to help a newbie with general questions about maintenance and care.

If we can't simply share our experiences without being accused of brand slander, then I really don't know what I'll write in the future when I have a problem and am in need of venting and help.

With Warmest Wishes for a Very Happy Holiday Season,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Whoa, easy there big fella... no offense taken, and none meant. I thought your analogy particularly apt given that ALL molded fiberglass trailers owe their heritage to Ray Olecko who found inspiration for his 1968 invention of the Boler in a fiberglass septic tank he'd designed. If you follow the link I provided in my earlier post, it goes to the History of the Boler on Bolerama.com.

The history of Scamp is that they were originally contract builders for the American Boler Company, and when Boler went under, they began building Scamp trailers in the Boler molds which makes the Scamp a first-generation cousin of the original Boler design...

FWIW I have, in fact, owned five Scamps spread over many years and have found them, like most fiberglass RVs, to be of simple, reliable, and when something breaks or leaks, repairable construction. They're not necessarily superior nor are they inferior... they're just a good, solid product. But then so were the UHaul CT-13, the Trillium 4500, the Love Bug II, the Burro 17 I had. I have to put the two Bigfoot trailers I had in a separate class as they were a LOT more expensive and had features unavailable on most other trailers (at that time.)

So, I wasn't dissin' you, nor was I dissin' Scamp... I just thought your analogy about the rollin' porta-potty was amusing and in some ways, at least moderately accurate... given the lineage of the genre.

I repeat, I was NOT making an analogy, and I in no way implied or thought you were dissin' me; I was simply stating that I wasn't trying to compare a Scamp to a portable toilet or make reference to its lineage. You have mistaken the meaning/intention of my post. Again, I was explaining to Floyd what type of sarcastic statement I could make that could be considered hyperbole (see definition of analogy and hyperbole), after he stated a lot of the anti-Scamp dialog on this forum exuded hyperbole. Since I've only owned one Scamp I'm not as experienced with them as someone who has owned multiple Scamps. My contempt of Scamp is based on a single trailer with multiple flaws. All that means is that I learn from my mistakes and I don't repeat them. I prefer quality over cost because I learned a long time ago you get what you pay for, and when choosing cost over quality, you get what you deserve. What I find interesting is that some of those here who love their Scamps (and they are completely entitled to do so) are so defensive of Scamp or appear to be offended when I express displeasure with the one I owned.

And, FWIW, I do not go by "big fella."
Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #45

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Happy Holidays, Carl.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #46

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Happy Holidays, Carl.

Thank you very much, Roger. Same to you and your loved ones! And I hope the upcoming camping season is your most enjoyable yet.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I repeat, I was NOT making an analogy, and I in no way implied or thought you were dissin' me; I was simply stating that I wasn't trying to compare a Scamp to a portable toilet or make reference to its lineage. You have mistaken the meaning/intention of my post. Again, I was explaining to Floyd what type of sarcastic statement I could make that could be considered hyperbole (see definition of analogy and hyperbole), after he stated a lot of the anti-Scamp dialog on this forum exuded hyperbole. Since I've only owned one Scamp I'm not as experienced with them as someone who has owned multiple Scamps. My contempt of Scamp is based on a single trailer with multiple flaws. All that means is that I learn from my mistakes and I don't repeat them. I prefer quality over cost because I learned a long time ago you get what you pay for, and when choosing cost over quality, you get what you deserve. What I find interesting is that some of those here who love their Scamps (and they are completely entitled to do so) are so defensive of Scamp or appear to be offended when I express displeasure with the one I owned.

And, FWIW, I do not go by "big fella."
Hey Carl, I get it...
Thing is, I never accused you or anyone specific of hyperbole.
I was talking about a trend I have seen on the this site in recent months.
I am never offended by your opinion or that of others on this site.
A simple counterpoint response should not cause offense either.
I hope to see you again this year around the campfire for some more of the best conversations of my year.
Don't forget though....

Carol H...
I recognize that this is not a Scamp site, I have owned a bunch of different brands and have not bad mouthed any of them, as far as I am concerned the SOBs are still welcome!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #48

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Hey Carol, LOL. Loosen up lady. See how this thread has progressed? Just as I had hoped and expected. Have some fun too and don't worry about who goes where, etc. Going strictly by the numbers it's mostly a boys club anyway, and I don't care where/if they whip em out and compare. Just here for the entertainment.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=floyd;563622
Carol H...
I recognize that this is not a Scamp site, I have owned a bunch of different brands and have not bad mouthed any of them, as far as I am concerned the SOBs are still welcome![/QUOTE]

Floyd never thought YOU were suggesting or would suggest owners of any brand to go hang out elsewhere. My comment was in response to a comment made by another member.

Cant wait for the brand bashing that will take place when word gets out as what Brand I have been scooping out for myself under the cloak of darkness
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Cant wait for the brand bashing that will take place when word gets out as what Brand I have been scooping out for myself under the cloak of darkness
Perchance?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 6.30.05 PM.png  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #51

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about them Bears?

I'll do just about anything to get everyone back to the "kind" mod...
Attached Thumbnails
chicagobearscoincidence.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about them Bears?

Isn't that the "com"-MODe...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #53

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Point taken, Donna.

I'm going into kind mode.

No more brand bashing (except by PM if asked).

And no more beverage bashing either!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #54

Cool. I readily admit I drink cheap coffee and expensive beer!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #55

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Thumbs up

Did someone say BEER!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Did someone say BEER!
Excuse the tent...
Attached Thumbnails
camping.JPG  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #57
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Everyone,
I just have to talk here. Although I am listed as a Senior Member, I am by no means senior in knowledge of FGRV's. In fact, my senior status was certainly arrived at by posting countless questions to others when problems or just general inquiries popped into my head. Most of the time, I am just a lurker and a learner here. One of the reasons why...

I become so saddened when posts/threads turn into jumping grounds. Jumping down another's throat, that is. As for this thread, I believe the simple thing we are seeing here is just like you witness with automobiles day in and day out. For every 10 people who love their Ford, Chevy, Toyota etc., 10 more have had a bad experience and this formulates their negative opinion of the product. This is normal! Experience is the basis of opinion. I, personally, am not offended in the slightest when a person here posts a negative experience with any brand of trailer, and that includes a Scamp (of which I own). This site is not to tout one brand over another. This is simply that person's experience. I am grateful for all postings, and then if I am interested further, take that information as a springboard and begin my own research.

Hey, I've never even stepped foot into another brand of FGRV, although I do see from reading here that all brands have their pros/cons. I own a Scamp because it came my way through serendipity and human kindness, and I could afford it. Heck, if it had been a Casita or Escape or other brand I probably would have bought that too, for I knew little of FGRV's when I made my purchase. As embarrassing as it sounds, I bought one because I thought they were cute. In all fairness, now that I'm a big old, 2 year owning big shot, I can say there would be several things I would ask Scamp to change if I were buying a new one, with one being glassing in the top of the floor instead of just the ground side (would be nice for potential indoor leaks) and using plywood instead of OSB. Just my opinion! It doesn't make me a "hater" as my kids' generation calls it.

So please...keep posting all of your experiences, good and bad, and let's be loving, intelligent people and realize these are just others' experiences, taken for all their worth for us to learn by or simply to read, and stop waiting around the corner to jump somebody. I sadly admit it is one of the reasons I don't post much advice here, even though I am certainly well versed enough to help a newbie with general questions about maintenance and care.

If we can't simply share our experiences without being accused of brand slander, then I really don't know what I'll write in the future when I have a problem and am in need of venting and help.

With Warmest Wishes for a Very Happy Holiday Season,
Wendy

Just so you know you didn't get lost in the shuffle. Good post. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #58

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post

Wendy, I second that. You stated this point eloquently. The truth is my displeasure with Scamp is based on my personal experience, and I am aware that others feel differently. Any negative comments I may have made about my Scamp experience were not intended to insult or offend the Scamp faithful, any more than if I were to say I don't like cauliflower, it wouldn't mean that I think produce department managers who stock it are providing a disservice. Most opinions presented are based on one's likes/dislikes and though someone may not agree, it does not make either one right or wrong. Tolerance, like patience is a virtue.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #59

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Point taken, Donna.

I'm going into kind mode.

No more brand bashing (except by PM if asked).

And no more beverage bashing either!
I always thought you were kind! My experience with our Scamp will be available only via PM. I had more than a lifetime worth of being attacked for my views back in the days I participated in the Yahoo Scamp Group.

Happy Holidays to Everyone.
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #60

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Wendy, I totally agree with Raz.

In your relatively short ownership you have taken the time to learn as much as you can. As they say "you have come a long way baby" and you should not feel at all hesitant with posting your experience.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, escape, scamp