Possible bent Axle on 2014 Scamp 16 ft - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
When you get inside where like you described on the inside . replace the wheel bearings . had same problem with a trailer . when the bearings are loose or worn what happens as you pull the trailer. they splay out an causes the tires to scrub on the inside .on mine we did all of them problem solved .PS. Use bearings made in America as the off shore ones don't last . Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
All so if you want to check your axle when you do your bearings .Put a tape an check from axle end to center of tong and compare with other side. If it is with in 1/8" its will be fine .If it is lots then you have axle problems .i have bent axles on trailers you will notice right away .Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
When I installed the new axle on my Scamp I used a wire as a gauge to get the thing square with the direction of travel.
A little difference in where the frame lines up is less important than where the wheels are in relation to the centerline as defined by the hitch!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #24

Name: Chas
Trailer: Escape 21 - previously 16' Scamp
Washington
I had the exact same problem with my 16' floor model 6 Scamp. I always check the tires often and would estimate that the damage occurred in less that 300 miles - from no damage to "thumping" bad.

A lot of things complicate the issue. Beside the above mentioned items (axle, tire/wheel balance, etc) add to it WDH and sway bar - both of which SIGNIFICANTLY affect the trailing characteristics. The WDH also adds significant weight to the trailer axle - and not necessarily equal across both wheels.

New tires and new vehicle (no WDH, but still sway bar), and no problems yet, but you can be sure that I check both tires before and after every outing.

CVZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post

A lot of things complicate the issue. Beside the above mentioned items (axle, tire/wheel balance, etc) add to it WDH and sway bar - both of which SIGNIFICANTLY affect the trailing characteristics. The WDH also adds significant weight to the trailer axle - and not necessarily equal across both wheels.

New tires and new vehicle (no WDH, but still sway bar), and no problems yet, but you can be sure that I check both tires before and after every outing.

CVZ
I do not think many here actually use a WDH on a 16' Scamp. Not something someone communally sees on such a small light trailer.

As you say WDH can add a whole new chapter to problem issues - particularly if the WDH has a max weight rating well over the actual weight of the trailer & not set up correctly ... which can happen pretty easily with many of our relatively light trailers.

There is a gentlemen who is well respected in the hitch install industry who has written in publication about how a WDH that is over rated for the trailer or incorrectly adjusted can/will do more damage to the trailer than good. Trailer frame fatigue on light framed trailers and pooping rivets are two such items.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #26

Name: Chas
Trailer: Escape 21 - previously 16' Scamp
Washington
Carol -

I totally agree with you (and the experts) that WDH with 16' Scamp can cause overloading of frame/wheels/tires and axle. It's very possible that the WDH tension was set incorrectly (I'm innocent - dealer did the setup). However, the owner's manual for my previous tow vehicle (2003 Odyssey) stated that WDH was mandatory for any trailer the weight of the Scamp. ....and I ALWAYS follow the rules - haha - not so much. In the event, it certainly handled much better with the WDH.

I take this issue very seriously. The degradation of my my tire was so severe and so sudden, that a catastrophic failure was imminent. I'll be sure to post back if the tire degradation reoccurs in my current configuration. I've got about 2500 miles with the new tow vehicle (2003 4Runner V8) and new tires and I don't see any wear indication that the wheel alignment is awry.

Cheers,
Charlie VZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
From reading the 1970's studies on trailer towing the researchers stated that air shocks ( or bags) gave approximately half of the benefits of a WDH without the chassis and trailer stress.
They actually recommended using both with the air being set to it's maximum abd then the WDH being adjusted to level the rig.
The majority of the rear lift from the air bags.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #28

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
If the axle tube was installed out of square to the frame it would cause the trailer to "dog walk", which is where the trailer would follow the vehicle off center. The off center would cause the tires to scrub laterally producing heat and uneven wear. (wear on outside of one tire and inside the other). A trailer manufacturer like Scamp would likely use a jig fixture to locate the axle centered and square to the axis of travel. The torsion axle spindles swing on the axle tube centerline, and are likely square and parallel when manufactured. The spindle could be damaged from hitting a pothole, which could cause camber and toe problems which would lead to tire wear and trailer handling issues. As mentioned above, simple string alignment can reveal toe problems. An alignment shop should be able to check the camber (tire leaning in or out) with a gauge.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A straight edge across each wheel horizontally, and measure across at front and rear from one wheel to the other works to check toe-in. Have also done it by spinning each wheel and scribing a line in the center of the tire and then measuring. I also have a spring loaded toe-in gauge but it's not as accurate if the tire or rim has some runout. I've only used the string method to check alignment of the drive axle to the steer axle on trucks. Later we got a straight edge with a laser pointer for that and it was more accurate.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp