Insights on Casita or Scamp 16 with bunks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: shopping
Virginia
Insights on Casita or Scamp 16 with bunks?

We're shopping for a 16' that can be pulled by my 2015 Jeep Wrangler (3500# and 350# hitch weight). We want a small bathroom/shower and bunks for the kids. Our use will primarily be weekend camping trips.

We haven't seen either model in person yet so I'm looking for insight from people who have experience with them. I like both the scamp 16 and the casita 16 spirit deluxe (with bunks). We're in Virginia so getting in one will take some work. I think the 17 Casita will be too heavy. There's the limited headroom, but I'm 5' 10" and think I'll be okay. My wife is 5' 1" and the kids are well... little kids.

I do like that the casita has an option for a high lift axle and 15" wheels. My JKU is lifted and has 35" tires. Also the smaller AC unit is probably able to run on my Honda EU2000 generator.

Thoughts?
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Call either manufacturer and they will put you in touch with a local owner. Owners receive a commission should you purchase a trailer so they welcome visitors. Another manufacturer that may restart production is Parkliner in North Carolina. Worth a look. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Biggest advantage of the Casita is the larger front bathroom. Some like the full fiberglass underbelly. The optional lift and larger tires are better for back country use. The galley is tiny. The side bunk option gives up the large dinette window.

The Scamp 16 (layout 4) has more headroom (6'2" vs. 5'10"), a lot more galley space, and better ventilation (back window opens). It will probably be a bit lighter as well. But the side bathroom is small and has limited headroom.

Scamp offers roof AC; Casita installs a window-type AC through the front corner. The former is more efficient for cooling, but the latter reduces overall height and drag. Scamp lines the shell with marine headliner over foil bubble insulation; Casita uses residential-style foam-backed carpeting. Scamp supplies (very thin) curtains; Casita provides mini blinds. Lots of little differences.

Raz's advice to get a look at both is good. Things like headroom, bathroom size, beds, etc., need to be experienced in person. The main dinette bed is the same in both at 45"x76" and some find it too confining for two adults, while others just call it cozy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Interior height

I have a 2014 Scamp Standard 16', layout 4 with two bunks in front. The Scamp.com site lists interior height as 6'3", but mine measures 5'11" from floor to ceiling (vinyl flooring). The AC unit height measures 5'9". I am 5'9" tall so I have to duck under the AC, which has been less of a problem for me than I would have expected. (I guess I don't normally stand up as straight as I should) I don't know why Scamp continues to sell the 16' Standard Trailer as 6'3", but they still do. It never occurred to me to ask them about interior height. I assumed their measurements were correct.
We are happy with the Layout #4. It is working well for us.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interesting… I measured 6' 1-1/2" in my post-fire 13'er, and I have carpet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I agree with everything Morganza said. We also have a 2014 Scamp, layout 4. I measured 6' from vinyl floor to ceiling. My wife and I are 5'6", so it is perfect for us. The side bath is tight but functional and we love all the counter space. We've solved the small bed problem by making a removable, storable extension into the galley space that converts the bed into a T bed, allowing us to sleep with our heads towards the rear. We love our Scamp.
Doug in Sacramento is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
... There's the limited headroom, but I'm 5' 10" and think I'll be okay. My wife is 5' 1" and the kids are well... little kids.
But how little is little? The headroom is a minor issue* IMHO.

Re Scamp 16...

More important is bed space. The bunks are OK for younger children and even some small adults but they are small. You really should take the brood and all of you lay down in one for 10-15 minutes at least. You also will likely want to add some foam to soften the beds. If you get to NC you can see mine (layout 4).
--
* at 6'0" I also hit my head on the AC, so one has to duck a little in these trailers regardless. But its no problem.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 16
Oregon
Converted top bunk

We got a layout #4 this summer, but after a while decided to remove the to bunk and put up a shelf at the same height that extends from the wall to the edge of the bathroom. It adds a lot of storage and makes for a little less of a claustrophobic experience for the person in the lower bunk. We added several lightweight plastic storage drawers the shelf to keep things organized.

Of course if you need the sleeping space this wouldn't work, but I often sleep with my 2 dogs on the rear bed and my wife sleeps in the lower bunk.
mray28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Michael, it looks like you need to update your Trailer from looking for a Scamp to what you have found.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: shopping
Virginia
The boys are 3 and 5. Wife and I are in the Navy so were used to narrow bunks. I would have to rig up something to keep the kids from rolling out onto the floor though.

I also just found out the Escape 17b is offered in bunks too. I need to research that as well.
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
We have a 17b with the bunk bed option, as well as 3 and 5 year olds (ours are girls). The girls love the bunks but they're full sized and I've comfortably slept on them as well. Top bunk is limited to 200 lbs though. Finding a used 17b with this option might be hard though, and wait time if you order new is over a year. We were lucky when we found ours, it fits us like a glove. Literally. Good luck!

Tags
casita, scamp