scamp mod to front dinette - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
The boss is a boss, the prosthetic forehead you refer to is what the rest of us call the eyebrow.
Ok; whatever... but once again, digression confounds the point. I'm sure you now know to what I was referring... A unique LoveBug feature which was not present on mine.
Happy Festivus!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ok; whatever... but once again, digression confounds the point. I'm sure you now know to what I was referring... A unique LoveBug feature which was not present on mine.
OK Floyd,
I'm going to go out on a limb here with some postulation. I'm going to suggest that your Love Bug was either a rebranded boler American or a very early initial production Love Bug.

Very early in the Love Bug history there was a fire that destroyed the plant. The newspaper article refers to a number of both Boler Americans and Love Bugs being saved by towing them away from the fire. Here is a link to what I posted from the newspaper articles before:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post220962

Now Roger C H posted some linking information he retrieved from his online newspaper searches. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post257047 which I quote:
The Oelwein Daily Register – Saturday, November 27, 1971
Kansas firm purchases Iowa Portable Mill

Iowa Portable Mill Mfg Co, Oelwein, acquired by Eleanor International, Inc, Wichita, KS. Boler American Corporation, a subsidiary of Eleanor and marketer in the US of a FG camping and travel trailer has placed an order with Iowa PM for 5000 trailer frames to be delivered during the next 12 months.
This order expected to quadruple Iowa PM’s sales to nearly $1,000,000. Frames will be shipped to production plants at Tripoli, IA, Aurora, NE and Backus, MN.

So what makes me say that about your trailer? Reading between the lines on the first newspaper link above. Tri-Fab made the Love Bug from September 1972 until the fire on Monday July 30, 1973. I'm assuming the molds were lost because they only spoke of saving trailers.

Interesting that we have a new member Carl Brooks that has kindly posted pictures of his newly acquired 1973 Love Bug. His shows the "window boss" and the raised floor under the front bench seat. I'm thinking that his is the new or post fire body using the old frames mentioned above.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post454711
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 73 Tri-Fab
Texas
Registry
4/1973 is the mfg. date on the vin plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Tri fab 4.jpg   Tri fab 6.jpg  

Carl Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #44

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Some details of any fiberglass trailer will always remain a mystery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Interesting that we have a new member Carl Brooks that has kindly posted pictures of his newly acquired 1973 Love Bug. ... I'm thinking that his is the new or post fire body using the old frames mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brooks View Post
4/1973 is the mfg. date on the vin plate.
That is a mystery indeed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
Take out the existing bench. It is screwed into some wood strips that are fiberglassed to in the inside of the walls. Its call "tabbing." There are plenty of threads on it. I used the exisiting supports, but I highly suggest tabbing in supports that are higher up the wall. West System Epoxy also has step by step videos on how to do it. It is very easy.
That's what I am looking for.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #46

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Can the middle dinette photo be done to accommodate an air conditioner? Over the hitch seems to be the only place left in my 13 ft. Scamp for it.
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #47

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Here is a front dinette mod on a Scamp13, below that, one done to a Trillium. These are mods done with a simple approach. pretty much the same approach for both trailers except for accommodating the A/C installation on the Scamp.
BTW, the last picture shows the addition of window maxx vents which allows open windows without the complexity or the "Red Rider" syndrome which comes with jalousie windows.
Hi Im installing a power converter into my scamp. It looks like yours is under the dinette, how do you like that location, does it get in the way under the feet?? Thanks
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp