Scamp 19' 5th Wheel near Niagara Falls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
Scamp 19' 5th Wheel near Niagara Falls

hi, my name is Jared and I would love to see a Standard or Deluxe Scamp 19' fifth wheel. I live in the Niagara Falls, ON area, but I am willing to travel over the border. Hope someone can give me some help; my wife and are both interested in this trailer, but are concerned it might be too small for our family of 4.

thanks for your help,

jared
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
Hello, not sure how far you would like to go but my wife and I are on the East end of Lake Ontario, and have a 96 scamp delux fifth wheel. You would be more than welcome to come look.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
... but are concerned it might be too small for our family of 4.
Jared, obviously the determination of "too small" is an individual decision, but I can share our experience. We have a family of 4 and everyone is over 5'7". We camp 4-5 weeks per year over several thousand miles in a scamp 13'. We used to have a much bigger pop-up and everyone prefers the scamp.

If you have questions on how to make it work, let me know. Good luck with your decision. I hope you make as many good memories as we have.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Yes. We are also a family of 4 and usually camp for about 3 to 4 trips a year, and I stay in the camper in the lawn lots in the summer. My family are all about 5'8 and we are just about right for the sideways beds. We have logged about 7,000 miles on our scamp since getting it in the fall of '07. It has some nice options and plenty of storage. Our longest family trip was just over 2 weeks in 2008 to Yellowstone. And we had a great time, never really too concerned the camper was too small. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Yea it just depends on how much room you want for comfort. If your stuck in the unit for days due to rain it can get cramped. It's camping though.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Jared, obviously the determination of "too small" is an individual decision, but I can share our experience. We have a family of 4 and everyone is over 5'7". We camp 4-5 weeks per year over several thousand miles in a scamp 13'. We used to have a much bigger pop-up and everyone prefers the scamp.

If you have questions on how to make it work, let me know. Good luck with your decision. I hope you make as many good memories as we have.

Eric, you've brought up another big question that my wife and I have. How DO you make it work. I figure if you can do it with a 13', my wife, two little girls and 25 lbs dog can do it too, however I could use some pointers.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Ontario
PeterK, where abouts in NY are you?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #8

New York
Registry
We are in Henderson/ henderson harbor area in NY. Near Watertown. On a map of the lake look on the east end about half way up the lake. You should see Henderson.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Ontario
PeterK what do you use to tow your Scamp? I've been trying to figure out if I could use either a f150 or Toyota Tacoma with a composite box?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

New York
Registry
We use a gmc sierra crew cab with a little v8 When we got the scamp In 07 we had a Tacoma with 4 cyl. Metal box. It worked but we got the gmc preparing for the 5000 mile round trip to Yellowstone in 08. Average gmc mpg was 14.5 for that trip. The 5 hour trip home with the scamp unloaded with Tacoma got 19 mpg. Either would work. There is a thread on here for building a hitch for the composit box.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #11

New York
Registry
For four people the crew cab was much more comfy as compared to the jump seats in the extended cab Tacoma
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Eric, you've brought up another big question that my wife and I have. How DO you make it work. I figure if you can do it with a 13', my wife, two little girls and 25 lbs dog can do it too, however I could use some pointers.
First, you have to adjust your expectations. If you want "home on wheels" this whole thing is probably not for you. However, we like the family time and don't mind being in close proximity for a few weeks.

Second, most people here customize their trailer. We added AC and more storage (shelves, cupboards...) to make the limited trailer space more usable and comfortable for what we wanted.

Third, have some options. Obviously we can hang out in the trailer and we all sleep in the trailer, but in reality we didn't go camping to spend time inside. We want to be outside and the camper is where we store stuff and sleep. Some people intentionally turn the beds into couches and tables every day so they have more living space. We on the other hand like being outside and leave all the beds as beds. If we go inside we just lounge around on the beds. We also bring a 11' gazebo that has optional screens and wall for situations where we need shade or wind/rain/bug protection. Ours is a Walmart special. We also make sure we have our favorite card and board games for when the weather is limiting our activities. We bring full rain gear and sometimes just choose to do activities in the rain. We are willing to just jump in the van and go exploring when we have a full day of rain and we just need to get away to a movie/mall/restaurant/Walmart/grocery store/local attraction.

I hope that helps. If you have specific questions, let me know.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #13

Ontario
more q's

Hey Eric, Peter and anyone else reading:

So I have two daughters (both under 3yrs) and I'm unsure what to do about sleeping arrangements and whether I want a deluxe or a standard model scamp 5th wheel. The deluxe seems to have more storage, but the standard has the bunk bed/couch set-up. Does your kids sharing a bed guarantee that you will have a war every night you're camping? Or am I better off to lose a bit of storage and get the standard with the couch/bunks?

Hope someone out there can offer some advice.

j-rod

ps: eric-thanks for the great info and perspective
peter- I'd love to come and see your trailer sometime this summer (june maybe) if you're going to be around.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #14

New York
Registry
Our kids were a little older when we got the scamp (about 7 and 11) but usually when we went to bed at night there was maybe 15 minutes or so of goofing but camping has a way of tiring everyone out. At least with us. Also could make it special like maybe personal sleeping bags so they are next to each other but not together under same blanket. ( just thinking. Could work. ). As far as delux v standard. We love our delux. Love the wood. Also the bathroom separates the upper bunk from the rest some so can put kids down there for afternoon naps and still use the main area without bothering them too bad.
June sounds fine. Just let us know. I know I wish there were some closer when we decided. Would have loved to see one up close. I travelled to Meadville PA. 5 hours away to buy ours.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
So I have two daughters (both under 3yrs) and I'm unsure what to do about sleeping arrangements and whether I want a deluxe or a standard model scamp 5th wheel. The deluxe seems to have more storage, but the standard has the bunk bed/couch set-up.
j-rod - I have no experience with 5th wheels or deluxe scamps, but I'll share my experience. We like the white standard interior. It is relatively tough and cleans easily (which is nice for families). However, we did like the look of the deluxe trailers.

We have camped with the kids their entire lives. Separate beds when they are 3 are not a "must" but as they get older it gets more and more important quickly. We find everyone getting enough sleep is one key to a happier life.

Storage is always an issue because you fill whatever space you have. I backpack and when you have to carry everything you bring for a few days and 50 miles it gives you a different perspective on the definition of necessity. We find that even with 2 teenagers and a scamp 13' there is plenty of storage. It is just a question of how many optional items you bring. We use the plastic tubs to organize things and we added shelves and bins here and there in the camper to make use of the space it has. We also keep certain things in the minivan. We do what we call light/fast camping where we are moving around a lot and heavy camping where we go setup for a week and bring tons of stuff. When we bring lots of stuff the floor of the scamp is full of tubs/games/stuff and gets moved outside or to the vehicle when we stop. Search for storage on the forum and there are lots of threads with many creative ideas on how to make the best use of your closet and other spaces. We also added shelves above beds and screwed in plastic containers to create little nooks here and there to give everything a place.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #16

Ontario
so three beds?

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for the input. I am getting the feeling that the scamp 19' standard might be the best option. it has the bunks as well as a queen bed and a dinette. I only wish that the bunks and the dinette could switch places, that would be AWESOME, but I talked to Scamp and they indicated that this wasn't possible. How do you and your wife find sleeping on the dinette?

Thanks again,
Jared
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

Ontario
other trailer options

Hey guys,

The other trailer I'm looking at is the Skyline Eco-camp 21bh. It has bunks a queen bed and a dinette but doesn't have the fibreglass build that the Scamp 19' does. Are there any other options I haven't thought of that would be in the $20k range?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
How do you and your wife find sleeping on the dinette?
Jared, We don't have a problem sleeping on the dinette. We tend to sleep on our sides and snuggle so I think that takes less room. We do have a queen bed at home, but I don't miss it when we camp. I am 6'2' and when I stretch out I still can fit. As people have noted, it is not spacious so you have to know that up front, especially if you like lots of space. We choose to make the best of it and view it as a benefit. However, during some hot and humid weather a couple years ago when we didn't have AC, my wife went 4 nights without every touching me at all in the bed because it was so hot. That was how I got permission to modify the trailer to add AC.

I hope that helps. Keep asking questions if you have them.

I just got the trailer out of storage and cleaned it up yesterday. We are getting ready for a trip to the FL Keys. I can't wait.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have a 2004 19ft Deluxe and pull it with 2013 6 cyl. Tacoma, four door, short bed. Bought it a year ago and put 8k miles on it last year, will be back home in Vermont after mid April from a trip to Arizona, so it will be another 7k miles or so. It works great for the two of us, with two kids it would be OK. Deluxe comes with a lot of storage cabinets and decent size bathroom with shower. We even made it to Chaco Canyon in NM, but had to repair a few things inside (stove and the exhaust hood) after many miles of terrible washboard road abuse. The drawers that I epoxied last year and secured for travel made it, but one of their supports popped out. That road is well beyond what should be considered normal use. I would recommend the Scamp 5th. I also posted how to mount the Reese hitch in the plastic bed of the 2013 Tacoma. (Search for my posts.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Are there any other options I haven't thought of that would be in the $20k range?
It sounds like Alf's 5th wheel Escape may be coming up for sale soon. I'm not sure of the pricing or if it has not been presold already, but it will be relatively local to you.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post450174
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall, scamp