anyone using a Reese 66069 on their scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #41

Name: Blaine
Trailer: 16ft scamp camper
Mississippi
Registry
hitch

middle of hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Ph.jpg   P1.jpg  

Ph4.jpg   Pinto hitch.jpg  

Pinto-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #42

Mississippi
Registry
MC1 I do remember installing some like these back in the 70s but most were on the hitch end were attached at the very end and a smaller square tube went forward two or more feet to a cross bar that hook to the front of the chases , mine hooks to just on each side with three 3/8 bolts each side, that side part is almost 12" long , has a extra hole there on both sides, planning on drilling out them out in put in the bolts because it will be pulling down the front of it with the WD hitch , not pushing it up like before , pictures are good , over kill is better
Old 03-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #43

Mississippi
Registry
muffler side

right side
Attached Thumbnails
Ph3.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Sounds and looks to me like you know what you're doing, Blaine.

Per earlier Dark Warnings about the Pinto's gas tank etc. etc. etc.:

It may interest this thread's readers to know that there's an ongoing recall of certain Jeeps right now. It seems that their gas tanks are vulnerable to rear end collisions, too and the fix is...wait for it....installation of a trailer hitch!
Link to article.

Blaine's so smart that Chrysler is following his lead! ....
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #45
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto-One View Post
MC1 I do remember installing some like these back in the 70s but most were on the hitch end were attached at the very end and a smaller square tube went forward two or more feet to a cross bar that hook to the front of the chases,
... over kill is better
For sure. Over kill is a good thing where the connection is concerned. Many rigs have just marginal, or inadequate hardware for the job at hand.

Here is an image from the airforums.com site of a custom receiver platform being installed by Can Am on a Subaru. HD is nice especially if you are going to use a WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru Hitch.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

Here is an image from the airforums.com site of a custom receiver platform being installed by Can Am on a Subaru.
Can you provide a link to the discussion you got that pic from, W?

I've long been interested in the particulars of such mods and would like to read the whole thread.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #47
MC1

Ontario
Sure thing FK. Here ya go.... Hitch for 1957 Dodge passenger car - Page 2 - Airstream Forums
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #48

Mississippi
Registry
yep that looks about right , only it had the large tube like that in the back, and it was heavy, it was shipped to us on a pallet and we use a transmission jack to get it in place on those Big old LTDs , Torino station wagons, F250 camper specials , soon as I can remember they called it a H hitch because when you looked down on it that was the first thing that came to mind, but that is over forty years ago and 40 cent gas,
Old 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Thanks for the link, MC1- spent some time checking it out and also found some other discussions/pics over there.

I have a question about the pic (below) that you posted earlier, though:

What am I looking at there at the forward attachment points? Is that rounded silver crosspiece part of the Subaru, or is that something fabricated by CanAm for the job?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
but my total camper weight is less than 2000 lbs , and TW is now 300 lbs I guess I am in the middle of the ball park, but still got see If it will fit without reinventing the wheel , if not soon to be on E-bay again, my stock scamp weight is 1750, Tw 190 , empty, lP bottles empty also , no water in tanks,
I am assuming those are your unloaded weights? If its loaded weights thats the lightest 16' Scamp I have heard of. My own when loaded for camping - no ac or micro wave etc and no water in the tanks comes in between 2500 and 2600 lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #51
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
What am I looking at there at the forward attachment points? Is that rounded silver crosspiece part of the Subaru, or is that something fabricated by CanAm for the job?

Thanks!

Sorry, I wouldn't want to speculate.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Thanks!

The side mounts appear to be going in at the general area of the automakers attachment points but the silver crosspiece certainly isn't - nothing like that on a standard hitch made for a Subaru so they would need custom holes drilled. The other normal attachment point on a standard Subaru hitch can be seen at top front of the photo - that round piece in black - it where a large bolt would normally be put to hold the hitch in that area.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #53

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I am assuming those are your unloaded weights? If its loaded weights thats the lightest 16' Scamp I have heard of. My own when loaded for camping - no ac or micro wave etc and no water in the tanks comes in between 2500 and 2600 lbs.

See Post #26.
Facts only serve to confuse the decisions already made.

Considering that this thread has morphed into mounting a (WD?) receivers on a Subaru and a 1957 Dodge, what difference does it make.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
see what you mean on the weights, and guessaments , yes I will just have to weigh it to see what I realy got , might have a wait until august so I will have my hands on some certified aircraft scales , ,
Or you could just take it to a local road side scale which is what most people do. You can weight the tongue in your driveway with a bathroom scale. Just make sure the tongue is sitting at the same height it would be when attached to the car.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
See Post #26.
Facts only serve to confuse the decisions already made.
Too, too true!

O.P. is long gone, having made a determination that "winds" are the only factor causing the handling problem. This due to the behind-the-scenes intervention of the only real "towing a Scamp expert" here at FiberglassRv.com.

That being true, I'm not feelin' the guilt for asking questions unrelated to the original query.

Thanks anyway, MC1!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #56

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use the Reese 66069 and like it very much. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Sienna and trailer is a 1980 17' Bigfoot. I had to move the propane tanks to make room for the mount. It's simple, easy to use, and does the job.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #57
MC1

Ontario
Sounds good Tom. How do you find the Sienna as a TV for your BF?

Also, how much are the 66069's going for down in Texas?

Thnxs.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #58

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sienna has performed all that I expected it to do. We've towed from Texas to all the neighboring states plus western Colorado, Ohio, and Florida. Mileage drops to 11-12 mpg at 60 mph. Usually get 19-20 mpg in the city and 24-25 mpg at 70 mph when not towing. Our Bigfoot is much lighter than later models. Empty of all gear it weighs 2290 lbs. and loaded to camp has a tongue weight of 340 lbs. Of course, it's still an eight foot by eight foot box shaped trailer. I bought the Reese WDH 4 years ago from etrailer.com and do not remember the cost.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/tom...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #59

Mississippi
Registry
Great , glad that I am not the only one here that has that hitch, just got it in this weekend , looks good but I do have to move the propane Bottles around , thanks carol for the weight of your 16ft , yep I am really interested in seeing what mine weighs , its a side dinnet with the front shower , but does have a/c and awning , in the pas I have tried the public scales but some are off a few hundred lbs, none around here except the scrap yard , been there and you have a chance of cutting up your tires at this one, not going anywhere for a few months so will move it to airport and wait for the aircraft scales to show up and take my time , can level it and weigh all at one time ,starting empty and work my way up, empty propane bottles then full , empty water tank then full , then the stuff I often take with me, and then if this thing does weigh to much might swap it for a 13ft scamp, still been lugging it around for the last 7 years thinking it is less than 2000 lbs, I think when they make a camper each one should be weighed and stamped when finished , not a guesstament , thanks tom , last thing I like to ask does it make a night and day difference , have you towed it with out the hitch or always had it, thanks again everyone,
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #60
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Sienna has performed all that I expected it to do.
Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Thnxs for the update Tom. You have it set up really nice. There are many over at the Airstream forum using Sienna's and they get good reviews. All of them are using the 2 bar WDH's but their hitch weights would be a bit more than yours.
Thinking that if we ever get back into towing with a mini van the Sienna would be our 1st choice. They are one of the few companies that actually test their vehicles towing trailers in colder climates. Nice!

Tags
scamp