Maximum Gear Load in 2012 Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Maximum Gear Load in 2012 Scamp 13?

Hi Folks,
I've searched using the search tool here, but can only find information on the weight of the trailers (unladen), and to what the tires are designed to bear, and so I'm a bit unsure.
I have a 2012 Scamp standard and am trying to get an idea of approx. how much weight (gear) you can put in the trailer safely. Will be towing with an 02' S10 6 cylinder. I do understand to a certain extent that the gear has to be balanced relatively on the inside so as to not be too heavy front or back or side to side.
Just going to put things in like an ez up canopy, sleeping bags, folding chairs, food items (both in closet and fridge). Can't really put anything below the dinette benches as fresh water and hot water heater are below. I also wondered if upper cabinets are safe to put canned food items while traveling, as I've read others have found doors fly open?
Other gear will go in truck bed, which tends to get quite full anyway with people's luggage, camp fire wood and other doo dads.
Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
As long as the tongue weight is OK I think just about anything could be transported in the trailer. Just maintain balance and maybe keep stuff low and not stored high.
I'm sure there will be many comments to follow.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Axle capacity and tire capacity should not be exceeded on any trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Loading a Scamp

I also have a Scamp 13' standard, similar to yours. According to their website, the 13' comes with a 2200# axle, so that is an extreme upper limit. Tires are another limiting factor. Personally, I wouldn't want to go much over 1800# towing weight. That probably gives you 500# or so to work with. Do you travel with a full fresh water tank (160#)? Don't forget to include propane, battery, and options (AC, fridge, furnace,…).

Ideally for towing stability, cargo weight should be centered at or slightly forward of the axle. However, because we carry bicycles on the back (but no water in the tank), I put a lot of the stuff you mentioned toward the front to compensate and maintain adequate tongue weight: awning & chairs on the gaucho, ice chest & 5 gal. water jug on the floor. I would definitely NOT put canned goods in the upper cabinet. Some people turn the closet into a pantry (adv: access, over axle; dis: high, can shift in transit). I haven't done that yet, so I put canned goods in the streetside under-gaucho compartment and tools in the curbside compartment (adv: low, stable, tongue weight; dis: access).

It would also be a great idea to get your trailer weighed at some point fully loaded for travel. Check both axle weight and tongue weight.

EDIT: Just checked - factory tires have a max load capacity of 1360#. That means they can carry a total weight of 2720#, which is greater than the axle capacity (as should be). Therefore, the axle is the limiting factor.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Some 13 inch tires have a load capacity of 1100 pounds each tire while other 13 inch tires have a load capacity of 1360 or 1480 pounds each. If your axle is a 2200 pound axle and you had the higher capacity tires you would still be limited to a 2200 pound load. A higher capacity axle along with larger capacity tires would be needed if you wanted to carry more weight. Also keep in mind that that would be axle weight not including tongue weight. It's very important to weigh your trailer and know exactly what your axle and and tongue weights are.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I do understand to a certain extent that the gear has to be balanced relatively on the inside so as to not be too heavy front or back or side to side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Ideally for towing stability, cargo weight should be centered at or slightly forward of the axle.
Over the years I've heard 2 trains of thought.
For a cargo trailer, 60% of your load should be ahead of the axle.
From here on FGRV, most say tongue weight should be 10-15% of total weight.

Scamp's specs provide the following info:
Trailer weight 1200-1500 lbs
Tongue weight 100 lbs
Axle 2200 lbs

There are 3 - 13' Scamps listed in http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
The trailers were loaded the way that each owner normally traveled. No mention of year, so we don't know whether they are pre or post fire models. I've copied their weights here;
Axle - tongue - total
1420_____200__ __1620
1480_____240__ __1720
1720_____230__ __1950

That should give you some idea. I'll leave the math up to you. Have you tried weighing what you would normally carry?

One thing you have not mentioned is the specs for your tow vehicle which has a maximum combined weight limit. You should consider that as well. I.e. truck + gas + people + cargo + trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We are the 1420 - 200 -1620 trailer on Roy's list. Ours is a pre fire (smaller) 13.

Note. we do not have a refrigerator, air conditioner, awning or water tank. We carry less than 2 gallons of water. Our ice chest is in the car and not part of that weight. We do not carry a heavy ez-up. On that trip I did have quite a few books under the bench up front! I have cut back on that weight.

Loaded it is very easy to have a 13 Scamp weigh 2,000 lbs.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Also we don't carry canned food. If we did it would be in a box on the floor in front of the axle. since we have no water tank and found our tongue weight higher than expected I do now shift some weight to the rear (like those books that used to be up front).

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Can't really put anything below the dinette benches as fresh water and hot water heater are below. I also wondered if upper cabinets are safe to put canned food items while traveling, as I've read others have found doors fly open?

Wendy as others have indicated your limited by the axle and tire ratings. Best to read what is written on the side wall of the tires on your trailer as manufactures do change tire types/brands from time to time.

I tend to keep lighter items such as plastic plates, glasses spices etc in the upper cabinets. The latches on the doors can be adjusted and I have not had problems with doors flying open - the key to keep everything in the cabinets snug together. When Items are loose they can move and hit up against the doors causing them to open.

As far as putting items under the dinette area thats not an issue either as long as you have the total trailer load balanced out. I store a couple of cubes holding clothing under the dinette area as I know many others do as well. Have also stored light chairs and roll up tables under there as well. As far as the water tanks being in the rear goes I personally try not to travel to far with water in my tanks as that just adds to the total load and cuts down on your gas milage. If going dry camping I will fill the tanks at the last possible location closest to where I am going camping. The key is to balance it out and keep as much of the heavy items that you have as close to the axle as possible. Its when you start putting items such a heavy bikes at the extreme rear of the trailer that you will find things can get wagging if you don't have enough items over the axle and ahead of it to balance it out.

The unladen weight isn't as big of a concern as the laden weight (assuming you are not going over your axle rating) is so if you load the trailer up and take it and weigh it that would be the best thing you can do. Then adjust your stowage as necessary. When weighing the tongue make sure it is sitting at the same level it would be when attached to the tug for the most accurate weight. I have found the most stable tows are achieved when the tongue weight it at least 10% of the axle weight and if you can go a bit higher up to 15% all the better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How much… or how little?

On reflection I see a certain irony in owning an egg and asking the question, "How much can I carry?" A better question may be, "How little do I really need?" Like the canned food: I always feel compelled to pack some "just in case," but we never use it. We always manage to pick up some fresh meat & produce locally as we travel.

Of course, it depends on where you're going, and for how long, and with whom. But my goal over time is to figure out what we really need, and leave the rest at home.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A better question may be, "How little do I really need?" Like the canned food: I always feel compelled to pack some "just in case," but we never use it.
Agreed!
We usually keep a couple of breakfast MRE in the cupboard as a backup for food. They don't taste all that bad and can be used for any meal of the day.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you to all for the great information. That clears everything up well. I don't travel with water. I meant that I can't store anything under the dinette cuz water tanks are in the spaces. I also appreciate all of your perspectives on food items. I do eat canned beans but try to buy fresh at location as well. This is from my pop up camper experience; as most know here I just bought the trailer and this will be my first camping summer. Cheers everybody!
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp