Scamp16 AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Scamp16 AC

We just picked up a 1985 scamp16 where the AC (in the closet to the left right when you enter the door) was removed and the fiberglass hole professionally "filled". for being the stickler I am for details with construction it is actually pretty well done.......but...We need AC.

It kind of makes sense to us to just cut the hole back out from the inside and plop a factory replacement unit back in.

Make sense?
Can you even buy a new factory unit that mounts this way?
I assume a window AC would be more cost effective but we dont like the look and loss of light.

Should we just leave the repair job and go out through the floor? Thanks for helping to get us started
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
We had a 96 Scamp with the factory installed window unit AC in the closet bottom. It worked fairly well with another fan helping to circulate the air. That would be the best place to install another AC. Your roof was probably not reinforced for a roof unit. There have been several posts on this site of installations of window AC units in the closet. Good Luck
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am re-doing the A/C in my 1988 16-footer and it is pretty striaght forward. I am changing from the LG unit that was in there (still available from Home Dept) to a Fridgidaire unit from Lowes. The Lowes unit does not stick out as far but will also probably not throw the air up as well as the HD unit. The controls were also on top of the old LG unit and are on the front of the new one but that should not be a big deal after I get familiar with it. As tight as things are in the Scamp if I can recess the A/C back 3 or 4 inches it seems like a big deal to me. The only real issue, other than trimming it out, is the condensate drain. I do not yet have the new unit in hand and do not know what type of fitting is required although I did check the display model at the store and there is a place knocked-out on the bottom for one. I should be getting it and putting it in over the next couple of weeks and will post back if any issues crop up.

This is an aside but I am also adding another interior 120V receptacle below the A/C unit. I figured while it was out was the perfect time. It will most likely be tied into the same circuit and will be a GFCI type receptacle. It will be for a heater or small fan and will not be used while the A/C is on so it being on the same circuit should be no problem. I may add an outside receptacle on the front of the trailer while I am at it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I installed a Fridgidaire unit from Lowes to my new 2014 Scamp 16, it fits to the closet very well.

I did not cut through fiberglass on the trailer side, but made both intake and outtake holes in the floor, separating the air streams as much as possible.

The 5000 BTU unit doesn't have drain hole, water is supposed to be removed by the fan with hot outtake air.

Small 12v fan from wallmart makes a good job blowing the cold air from the low lying unit through the trailer interior. Total cost (A/C plus extra fan plus some lumber and vents for installation plus AC wires and outlet) was just below $200. The labor (mine) costs nothing

Tags
scamp