Jeep Unlimited V6 and Love Bug II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello, we have a 2004 Jeep Unlimited V6 (longer wheelbase and okay to two 3500). We are picking up a 16' Love Bug II (weighing less than 2000 lb) on Saturday. Driving it home from Phoenix to Rio Rancho, NM. Just want to make sure we will be alright!

Thanks, CK
CK Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Quote:
Hello, we have a 2004 Jeep Unlimited V6 (longer wheelbase and okay to two 3500). We are picking up a 16' Love Bug II (weighing less than 2000 lb) on Saturday. Driving it home from Phoenix to Rio Rancho, NM. Just want to make sure we will be alright!

Thanks, CK
Hi. you sure that trailer only weighs 2000 or less? a 16 footer? I have a scamp 19 it weighs 3300lbs, any way find some truck scales on the way back,( trailer manufacturers have a tendency to understate their weights bigtime) so weigh em both, you know what the jeep weighs, you have a brake controller? or brakes on the bug? if you do, check tire pressures and after a half hour or so stop, and put your hands on the trailer hubs.. feel too hot to touch? have em checked by a trailer place, feel warm? a little warm is okay, make sure you have the right trailer ball, make sure its tight, no wiggle.. is it a 2 inch? or 1 7/8? they have to match what ever is on the trailer coupler, jeep have an automatic transmission? check the fluid levels 15 to 20 miles down the road, smell the dipstick, smell burnt? take it to the dealer for a t tech, transmission oil change.. I betcha you will do just fine Paul Orlando fl
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I towed a 20' sailboat with a Jeep Cherokee with a 248cu in straight six and three on the tree from Milwaukee to Seattle. I also had a machinist's tool chest with tools, three children, and lots of stuff in the jeep.

Only after having the trailer weighed in WA for licensing, did I find out it weighed 800#, not the 300# I had estimated. This brought the entire rig, with the 1700# sailboat, to 2500# min. Plus we had things packed in the boat, too.

The only problem I had was coming up from the Columbia River on I-90. Couldn't get it to pull in third. Had to stay in 2nd gear - maximum 35mph - for 14 miles.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

Thanks, CK
I just pulled a 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe from Montgomery Alabama to Cocoa, Fl with an '02, short wheel base Jeep Wrangler, a distance of ~550 miles and I experienced NO problems. I did use a short sway bar though. The straight 6 engine pulled great and I had no sway at all, even while being passed by huge trucks speeding along beside me, and my wrangler is just 'rated' (if one is to believe it) at 2000 pounds. Since yours is 'rated' at 3500, I suspect that you should be fine. Good luck
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi CK. The Love Bug II is an 18' trailer (NOT 16' as you may have been lead to believe) that will weigh in at around 2700 lbs to 2800 lbs dry, depending on how it's actually equipped. You can expect it to have around a 380 lb tongue weight. You'd do well to use a weight distribution hitch with 500 or 600 lbs load bars.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd add integral anti-sway control to that package...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love bug