"Egg Camper" air conditioning condensate... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"Egg Camper" air conditioning condensate...

It seems that the "Egg Camper" brand of camper, as well as some Scamp models, have their air conditioning units "inboard" in that they are within the confines of the camper. I'm thinking of modifying the set up by installing an exterior hatch cover that will enclose the opening in the winter and non use times and open while using the air conditioning. The existing set up can allow winter air intrusion as well as insects in the summer.
The condensate drain is another issue and wondering the best way to address that issue? With units inboard there is always the possibility of water on the floor if not properly level. Seems there needs to be a better solution.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
The A/C grill is metal. What if you just used a magnetic pad (like the car signs) to cover over the grill in the cold weather. Would be quick and easy. Just don't forget to take it off before trailering.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
that is exactly what Jim Palmer suggested and something he has been toying with for his teardrop. any suggestions as to where- maybe I can order 2-3 and the other Eggers can get them at the Poconos in July? save on shipping
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
There is a thread on interior AC installs, including making an insulated duct to the outside grate. I did a simple window install on my CT, it installs and removes in less than 5 minutes.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/a-c-45763.html

https://picasaweb.google.com/brysthe...at=directlink#
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
that is exactly what Jim Palmer suggested and something he has been toying with for his teardrop. any suggestions as to where- maybe I can order 2-3 and the other Eggers can get them at the Poconos in July? save on shipping
You should be able to have one made at a sign place locally or on-line. Have it covered in white vinyl and it should blend in well.

Art
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Air Conditioner Cover

Jim

I installed an air conditioner in the rear wall of my Trillium. I made a wooden cover and hinged it to the rear bumper. I had to modify the spare tire bracket to accomodate this but it has worked out very well.
I plan to make a mould and fabricate a fibreglass cover to replace the wooden one. This will have to wait until this fall or winter. Too much camping and golfing to be done over the summer to allow me to take this next step. !

I posted some views of this in on the web. The link is:

picasaweb.google.com/billreilleh Click on AC Cover

I have many other views of this modification so if you need more let me know and I'll upload shots of the construction process.

Bill Reilly
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had an in board AC on the Casita 16 this summer. It easily handled 98 degree weather.

A way to deal with the water and not worry about level is to have a surround like ones often used under washers in case of over flow.

The venting on the Casita was aluminum so magnets would not stick to it. The inside of ours was lined with screening to exclude mosquitos as did the refrigerator vents, doubt that was factory. While driving and in winter they had a backed piece of vinyl attached in four corners.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill,
I could not get your link to work....
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Quote:
Bill,
I could not get your link to work....

Jim

Sorry - I made a typo in the web address ! Left the y out of reillyeh

Should be:

picasaweb.google.com/billreillyeh When it opens click on AC Cover
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Good job Bill, i like that cover. Looks like you had to remake your spare holder also-what work we do for some cooling. The a/c in the Egg is recessed about 12" behind a grill that bothers me, bugs and weather are my 2 big fears. I contacted a magnetic sign person who is working up a price. The condensate just runs out the opening. Ideally, I'd like to install a hatch cover that is secure. Looking into that also. Any ideas on custom made hatch covers like on boats?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a direct link to Billy Reilly's pictures, he put the website in as text in his post, not a link: Picasa Web Albums - Bill Reilly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Well, I ran my a/c all night this weekend, not a drop of condensate? I do not know where it is going so I'm pulling the a/c out this week to try and find out the answer. Jim Palmer said it was supposed to run out the side, under the vent. Nothing there, nothing inside, nowhere. A mystery in search of an answer.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Well, I ran my a/c all night this weekend, not a drop of condensate? I do not know where it is going so I'm pulling the a/c out this week to try and find out the answer. Jim Palmer said it was supposed to run out the side, under the vent. Nothing there, nothing inside, nowhere. A mystery in search of an answer.
Jim -

It's a bit of a mystery to me as well, but if you think back to some of the old-style home refrigerator units. They had a tray to hold the condensate - then as the compressor generated heat (during the cooling process) that hot air was directed to flow over the condensate in the tray and it would cause it to evaporate. Perhaps the EggCamper is similar - and the exhaust air evaporates the condensate until it reaches a certain saturation point and can't keep up - at that point the condensate begins to collect and has to be expelled in some fashion?

I have yet to dig deeply into my A/C set-up to see what is happening.

Bill
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Trillium Jubilee

How long is your Jubilee?

It does seem unusual that Trillium would build a trailer with the sharp corners when they had several models with rounded. Maybe the sharp corners give more room inside?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
A NOTE FOR EGGCAMPER OWNERS: The shelf under the A/C unit is pitched to the grill on the outside of the camper. the grill has a rubber strip all around except on a portion of the bottom. It appears that the little excess condensate the unit produces rolls down the pitched shelf than outside BETWEEN the outside shell and grill.

Art
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
I drilled little holes in the trim to allow exit but I never got any evidence of any condensate at all.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #17

Florida
Condensate

I have a drain tube from the air conditioner's collection pan thru the floor and I have never been able to get any condensate flow except once by tipping the AC unit a little. It seems most of what collects in the AC unit evaporates and is blown out with the exhaust air thru the openings in the floor.

We ran ours for the first time in FL yesterday and not a drop of liquid though it dramatically dropped the temperature and humidity in the Scamp.

To encourage draining of the air conditioner's pan we intentionally mounted the AC tipped the toward the rear corner where the drain port is located.

Yesterday to encourage mixing of the air in the trailer we turned on a small fan in the trailer. It speeded up the feeling of cooling. It was amost immediate. I don't think it takes very long to drop the humidity of this small space.

I have dual muffin fans to exhaust the AC's exhaust air. The temperature rose to 125F in the exhaust section. It seems one of the muffin fans is not working well and I'll be replacing it. However I'm not sure how negative or abnormal this tmperature is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #18

Florida
Winter Protection

I got so wound up on condensate I forgot to mention what we do to prevent cold air intrusion.

Before we left NH I cut two 2" thick foam blocks, one fits in the exhaust port and one fits the cooling port. They are each held in place with a bungee cord. They stayed in place the entire trip.

I have a remote sensed thermometer in the AC exhaust area and except during operation the temperature is always near the inside temperature.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
eggcamper