What trailer to buy? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
What about Bob? Is Bob allowed to sleep on people beds? My Lab was not and could not due to arthritis after I got a Casita Spirit Deluxe. He and I played the Move/lookout game in the trailer as he liked to lay in the doorway blocking part of the refrigerator. I lost him last September and will say that camping is easier with a smaller dog who took over that space, but does not block the fridge. The Casita was easy for my Lab to get in and out of but towards the end he was using a ramp most of the time.
As you can probably guess, Bob the dog does whatever he wants to. He gets away with everything. Sleeps wherever he wants to. I have been stepping over him now for almost six years.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #42

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
It sounds to me like an Escape 19 would work for you guys. Permanent queen size bed, 4 person dinette, kitchen and wet bath. We know we love ours. But like others say, it's best to actually spend some time in a few different layouts to get a sense of what really works. On paper, we thought the Escape 17 was what we wanted, and even ordered one, but after spending time in the 17, 19 and 21 models, we quickly changed our order to the 19 and have not looked back since.
The 17' layout "B" looks exactly like what we want, but there is too much interior wood for my wife's taste. She prefers the sleek white fiberglass look with glass doors (mirror, smoke, ...?). Makes the trailer look bigger too.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
My wife does not like the looks or interiors of either one of these. So far it is only the Oliver Elite she is interested in. But thanks. I will keep searching.
Michael,

I am always impressed at how so many people on the forum jump in when a new member posts "what to buy?" I mean, this happens all the time and there seems to be this unfailing enthusiasm where folks jump in to offer assistance.

To everything that has been posted I will add a few comments.

First, if the Oliver Elite is all your wife is interested in, I don't know that you will find anything similar.

Next, check the rated payload on your truck. The payload rating can limit the trailer to a weight far, far below the rated towing capacity. Steve Dunham's post here is a good example of the limitations that payload can impose:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post637407

Finally, I would be interested in hearing why the molded fiberglass in particular is of interest to you. Like everything in this world, it has it's pros and cons.

I'd be interested to hear more about what your perceptions of molded fiberglass are, and what sorts of interests and needs you are looking to meet.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #44

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
For double the price, if it comes down to the cabinet doors being the decider, I think you could find someone to custom build some doors to be installed in any of the other trailers. Probably at a much lower price point than doubling the cost - just a suggestion of another possibility. Many folks change out to custom cabinet doors.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #45

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Smoked glass or mirrors, quality hinges and hardware are all simple things that can be added to any trailer to fit your wife's tastes, and you wouldn't have to go to the upper tow limits of your tow vehicle or pay $40K and up to accomplish this.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #46

Florida
I always want to hear about how great a specific trailer is and why. I am open to considering anything within our realm of interest. I am attracted to fiberglass because of its durability, ease of cleaning, and sleek looks. We are especially attracted to Oliver's Elite because of the great hardware and components they appear to use, the cabinet doors being glass instead of wood, and the trailer's layout almost perfect for what we want. I do not like the stiff price, but you get what you pay for I suppose. I spoke with a sales consultant today at Oliver and she told me that my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport can handle towing even the Elite II with ease. She said that just this week a couple picked up their Elite II and left the factory (fully loaded around 5800 lbs) with it towed by their own 2017 Tacoma. We plan on getting up there to look at the trailers around June 27 or so, on our way to our cabin in Michigan.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #47

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Smoked glass or mirrors, quality hinges and hardware are all simple things that can be added to any trailer to fit your wife's tastes, and you wouldn't have to go to the upper tow limits of your tow vehicle or pay $40K and up to accomplish this.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
Now that is something I am certainly interested in. And something I have suggested to her (it would help to know where to buy these sorts of things). I am not mechanical, nor a plumber or electrician, but I am a carpenter who is quite handy and pretty darn good. My wife reminds me that I am running out of time however. I am not young anymore and she worries about me taking on another project. I just redid my entire kitchen last fall which nearly did me in.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #48

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
For double the price, if it comes down to the cabinet doors being the decider, I think you could find someone to custom build some doors to be installed in any of the other trailers. Probably at a much lower price point than doubling the cost - just a suggestion of another possibility. Many folks change out to custom cabinet doors.
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Scamp 16, the base model, has almost all molded fiberglass interior (doors are wood). Deluxe model has a bigger bed, but it is a wood interior. Cost would be about 1/3 the Oliver, and easier tow wise. Casitas are almost all FG as well. One advantage of not changing your models in 20 years is that you can get a $$ return on molded FG interiors. In the last 6 years, Escape is on their 3rd fifth wheel, their second 17, 19, and 21.

As far as basing whether your truck will do it or not, I am NOT a fan of copying what other people do. So what if someone is doing something, it doesn't make it right for you. I saw someone pulling a Boler with a Honda Fit.

Years ago, I went through TVs, starting with a half ton pickup (RV salesman assured me it had more than enough power to pull the fifth wheel they sold me). Well, after cresting the Vantage climb in I-90 in central WA at a whopping 29MPH, I knew I needed something bigger. If I had lived in Illinois at the time, I probably would have been OK.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #50

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I understand, when a person sees a certain attractive feature that he or she likes, sometimes it's the deciding factor. After all, we are very visual people and we're going to want to spend plenty of time looking at something nice, not something we find unattractive. I bought a 2011 stick-built trailer that had smoked glass cupboard doors, and I liked 'em. (The roof leaked after only 3.5 years, but that's another story... and good reinforcement for buying molded FG next time!)

If you sell the cabin, it will help you to afford the trailer. And when you have the trailer, you'll have a better cabin. A cabin on wheels! It can be a cabin in the woods, or a cabin on the lake, or whatever.

Where is your N. MI cabin, anyway? I grew up in MI, near Standish. One of my sisters now lives near Petoskey (Alanson, actually).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #51

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
How about the Scamp 19 Deluxe fifth wheel. It may be big enough, it tows like dream, no anti-sway or weight distribution hitch needed. Can you find one to look at in your area? I would recommend it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is the first year for the Tab 400, that alone would make me leary combined with the name change and activity with the companies involved: Pleasant Valley Teardrops Sets Its Own Path as nüCamp | The Small Trailer Enthusiast I never like being in the "trial" group, I prefer something proven.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #53

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Scamp 16, the base model, has almost all molded fiberglass interior (doors are wood). Deluxe model has a bigger bed, but it is a wood interior. Cost would be about 1/3 the Oliver, and easier tow wise. Casitas are almost all FG as well. One advantage of not changing your models in 20 years is that you can get a $$ return on molded FG interiors. In the last 6 years, Escape is on their 3rd fifth wheel, their second 17, 19, and 21.

As far as basing whether your truck will do it or not, I am NOT a fan of copying what other people do. So what if someone is doing something, it doesn't make it right for you. I saw someone pulling a Boler with a Honda Fit.

Years ago, I went through TVs, starting with a half ton pickup (RV salesman assured me it had more than enough power to pull the fifth wheel they sold me). Well, after cresting the Vantage climb in I-90 in central WA at a whopping 29MPH, I knew I needed something bigger. If I had lived in Illinois at the time, I probably would have been OK.
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #54

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
How about the Scamp 19 Deluxe fifth wheel. It may be big enough, it tows like dream, no anti-sway or weight distribution hitch needed. Can you find one to look at in your area? I would recommend it.
too big, not for me. 16 is fine.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #55

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
This is the first year for the Tab 400, that alone would make me leary combined with the name change and activity with the companies involved: Pleasant Valley Teardrops Sets Its Own Path as nüCamp | The Small Trailer Enthusiast I never like being in the "trial" group, I prefer something proven.
I tend to side with you on this. Still, I would like to at least see one up close. There isn't any and won't be till fall probably, and by that time I will have most likely made my decision.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #56

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I understand, when a person sees a certain attractive feature that he or she likes, sometimes it's the deciding factor. After all, we are very visual people and we're going to want to spend plenty of time looking at something nice, not something we find unattractive. I bought a 2011 stick-built trailer that had smoked glass cupboard doors, and I liked 'em. (The roof leaked after only 3.5 years, but that's another story... and good reinforcement for buying molded FG next time!)

If you sell the cabin, it will help you to afford the trailer. And when you have the trailer, you'll have a better cabin. A cabin on wheels! It can be a cabin in the woods, or a cabin on the lake, or whatever.

Where is your N. MI cabin, anyway? I grew up in MI, near Standish. One of my sisters now lives near Petoskey (Alanson, actually).
My cabin sits within a seven inland lake community about thirteen miles west of East Tawas which is on Lake Huron about thirty-five miles north of Standish. Our cabin is surrounded by the Huron National Forest and any direction one takes on leaving my sanctuary you have to go through the forest to get where you are going. Beautiful. And I will miss it. But as you know, Michigan went through a terrible downturn and property values are such that my equity has suffered. But nonetheless ready to hit the road after eleven years of bliss up there.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Michael,

I think there is a special school for RV fabric designers. That's really all I want to say about that as I don't have much nice to say on that front.

My understanding is that Casita does very little in the way of customization; they basically add options and that's about it from what I have heard. I believe that Escape will make many accommodations and even use your fabrics for an upcharge.

There are differences in how much manufacturers will do to accommodate the owner's particulars. Oliver is said to be very good in this respect. I think Scamp also gets good reports.

The Oliver trailer is really unlike any other. The double shell and insulation, along with the quality of the fittings, are standouts in the current molded fiberglass offerings. I think you will benefit from seeing the trailers. There is a broad range of pricing that basically reflects what goes into each.

I have some white laminate with a subtle pattern on hand that I was going to use to make new cabinet doors for our Casita. The material is still on hand because I haven't found that most vital of my tools here, my round tuit. We did invest in a good custom mattress and I have made a few little tweaks, which I enjoy doing. Meanwhile, Momma is talking Lance 1475 as we close in on our planned retirement.

Regarding the truck, trailer sales people have been known to assure a buyer that a vehicle will handle a load. They have also been known to not inquire as to the prospective owner's expectations. They are sometimes flat out wrong whether due to ignorance or design.

Glancing at the specs on your truck, I question whether you would have a satisfactory experience hauling the Elite II. There is one person that has your interests at heart more than any other. Keep asking questions.

I multiply our 4,400 lb tow rating by 75% and allow 600 lbs for the gear. That's 2,700 lbs, just about a match for the dry weight of our Casita. I also keep an eye on the payload. I feel that the combination performs well overall, though it's certainly not like having the torque of a diesel. Mileage is about 25 on the highway, 20 in town, and 15 when towing. I'm not terribly concerned about the cost of the fuel, however those numbers reflect the work that the vehicle is actually doing and probably would be reflected in the wear if we towed much.

I glanced at the new Tab on the lot last Sunday. I smiled and thought "we've come a long ways in three years since we started with a teardrop". I moved on with hardly a second look at the Tab and closely checked out a Bigfoot.

I didn't want all the con-sarned infernal complications when we started trailering. I'm now quite taken with the miracle of the three-way refrigerator and many other aspects of a fully outfitted trailer. It's been an evolution and I've enjoyed it. (I haven't ever changed my mind, but I have made new decisions based on new information as Zig Ziglar used to say.)

There's lots to look at and to learn. The decision is very personal. Best of luck. I always enjoy helping other people spend their money.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #58

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Michael,

I think there is a special school for RV fabric designers. That's really all I want to say about that as I don't have much nice to say on that front.

My understanding is that Casita does very little in the way of customization; they basically add options and that's about it from what I have heard. I believe that Escape will make many accommodations and even use your fabrics for an upcharge.

There are differences in how much manufacturers will do to accommodate the owner's particulars. Oliver is said to be very good in this respect. I think Scamp also gets good reports.

The Oliver trailer is really unlike any other. The double shell and insulation, along with the quality of the fittings, are standouts in the current molded fiberglass offerings. I think you will benefit from seeing the trailers. There is a broad range of pricing that basically reflects what goes into each.

I have some white laminate with a subtle pattern on hand that I was going to use to make new cabinet doors for our Casita. The material is still on hand because I haven't found that most vital of my tools here, my round tuit. We did invest in a good custom mattress and I have made a few little tweaks, which I enjoy. Meanwhile, Momma is talking Lance 1475 as we close in on our planned retirement.

Regarding the truck, trailer sales people have been known to assure a buyer that a vehicle will handle a load. They have also been known to not inquire as to the prospective owner's expectations. They are sometimes flat out wrong whether due to ignorance or design.

Glancing at the specs on your truck, I question whether you would have a satisfactory experience hauling the Elite II. There is one person that has your interests at heart more than any other. Keep asking questions.

I multiply our 4,400 lb tow rating by 75% and allow 600 lbs for the gear. That's 2,700 lbs, just about a match for the dry weight of our Casita. I also keep an eye on the payload. I feel that the combination performs well overall, though it's certainly not like having the torque of a diesel. Mileage is about 25 on the highway, 20 in town, and 15 when towing. I'm not terribly concerned about the cost of the fuel, however those numbers reflect the work that the vehicle is actually doing and probably would be reflected in the wear if we towed much.

I glanced at the new Tab on the lot last Sunday. I smiled and thought "we've come a long ways in three years since we started with a teardrop". I moved on with hardly a second look at the Tab and closely checked out a Bigfoot.

I didn't want all the con-sarned infernal complications when we started trailering. I'm now quite taken with the miracle of the three-way refrigerator and many other aspects of a fully outfitted trailer. It's been an evolution and I've enjoyed it. (I haven't ever changed my mind, but I have made new decisions based on new information as Zig Ziglar used to say.)

There's lots to look at and to learn. The decision is very personal. Best of luck. I always enjoy helping other people spend their money.
Baby brother (recently retired, long-time trailer person driving a diesel pickup w/fifth wheel) suggested we get a Lance 1475 as your wife wants. it looks like a great trailer, but I again do not like all the wood. I do like the leather however. Fabric designers for RV's have terrible taste, I agree. Horrid actually. And I don't really want to have to do much if any renovations on a "new" trailer. But I just started looking and I can change. I appreciate your help. That avatar of yours looks like someone I used to know back in the day. Baseball. Looks like the fellow who liked to sharpen his spikes for his slides into second.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #59

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I also had a cabin in the moutainous woods of Pa. We sold it after 20 years of hard work keeping it going. as I got older it kind of got harder to take care of it. When i was home i worried about up there, when i was up there i worried about home down there. Then being retired there was double exspences, taxes were the big thing. So i got the Scamp now my country home is a traveling home. It an go to beach or in the desert or a near big attractions.
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #60

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
Its insulation. Scamp, Casita, Escape and most others with single wall trailers have something covering the fiberglass as insulation. Naturally, one should not expect Oliver construction details on a trailer that cost 1/3 as much. At the same time, Scamp has proven long term durability, you see 30+ year old Scamps out there doing their job.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b