American Sport Trailer "Genesis" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Genesis
My wife and I purchased a "Genesis" from American Sport Trailer last July and this has got to be one of the best fiberglass trailers ever built! My wife Kim does ultra marathons which are 50 to 100 mile running races through the mountains and we wanted a very small unit to take on these trips as our Pilgrim is 35 ft and way to big. We looked for 4 years for the right trailer and finally decided on the Genesis and very happy with our decision. This trailer has all the amenities you will need for a short/weekend trips and is very comfortable for it's small size. We take it to the beach when we go kayaking or to the park for day trips and works well for a base. The Genesis is listed on this site and is well worth looking into. Steve and Jeff Wishek (owners) are very nice folks to deal with and very knowledgeable. If you are thinking about buying a FG you may want to seriously look at this model.. Has anyone else bought one?

Wes Abundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
We looked at a Genesis before buying our trailer. I was not interested in having my galley outdoors. The holding tanks are generous for a small unit. Looks like a great setup for dry camping. Our tanks are much smaller, which limits dry camping.
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wes, If I remember correctly last year when I was looking, I couldn't find any info on them other than what was here on the homepage. In fact I couldn't find a manufacture website either. It looked like it was workable, Personally I don't cook inside so wouldn't bother me to have the kitchen out side. But it is nice on a cold morning to not have to get out to make coffee. Please post pics of yours we all like pics. Visual people here! Robin

How's the weather in Ventura?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Wes, If I remember correctly last year when I was looking, I couldn't find any info on them other than what was here on the homepage. In fact I couldn't find a manufacture website either.
The Genesis has been listed on the All Current Manufacturers page in the Helpful-Links almost as long as we've known about the trailer The manufacturing owners have stopped in to FiberglassRV to discuss the trailer too!

All Current Trailer Brands

Wes, we'd all love to see some pictures of your rig. Sounds like it definitely meets your needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #5

Thanks Donna, I have never seen that link for this site................... Oh well! Got it now. I think one reason I didn't go further with investigating was the length of it compared to the weight. But the Genesis sure has clean lines. It's a very interesting option for a smaller fiberglass cause it has all the options of air, bathroom, and yes the outside kitchen in a shorter length. Robin
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
VERY cute...I hadn't heard of these before..I'm always interested in checking out any Fiberglass trailer!!

I love the way the galley is set up....Just like Robin, I too don't cook inside our trailer, but this galley would make it nice not to have to pull out the 'cooking box' all the time and put it all away..

...and hey! how about that 'under chasis storage box!! GEEEZ I wish I could have one of those!!

Very cool Wes! Enjoy your trailer!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #7

Carolyn, I saw that under storage box too, and thought Wow, Nice! That would be handy. Good point, with the Genesis type of kitchen I wouldn't be running in and out grabbing my cooking gear. Cute trailer.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Really cute! I had never seen one before. The galley being outside looks cool too. Looks perfect for what you are doing! And a big Welcome to FGRV!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #9

Robin!

Where'd you get that lantern from on your post!!???
Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #10

Carolyn, I don't remember somewhere on the web. But all you have to do to save it is right click on it and click Save Image As, then put a name to it when the box appears and it will be saved in your pictures. I have a folder in my pictures of all kinds of Icons. So my folder is named Icons. Several camping ones, which I got all from the same icon place. You can search for free icons, just google Free Icons, then just put in a subject such as camping and all the camping icons come up. Do the same as above, by clicking on the icon you want and then click Save Image. That is if you have a PC, if your Mack I am not up on how you save images on it. Robin

Sorry Wes for going off topic here.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #11

Yes Wes and others..my fault that we strayed away from the trailer...

Geez, we're worse than kids at the campground!

I had to go back and take another look see at the photos...I like it and the Tribute. Going to recommend them both to a NASCAR fan who's looking for a trailer...

Fiberglass friends don't let friends buy 'stickies" ya know!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
I must have misread the link. This trailer cannot weigh 2800 pounds dry can it? twelve feet?
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Donna, I have never seen that link for this site................... Oh well! Got it now.
It's okay Robin, lots of members haven't looked in the Document Center or at the Helpful-Links. Lots of good stuff, that's why I'm always pointing it out.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I must have misread the link. This trailer cannot weigh 2800 pounds dry can it? twelve feet?
You read correctly.
Link to the discussion 2 years ago when Genesis was introduced. Many people remarked about the weight. BUT, if you look at the manufacturer's website, you'll see that this is built differently than a Scamp or Casita.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I bet it does. Look at the pictures of the construction. Lots of steel in that frame. Sheets of plywood in the interior with wood braces. Large opening door on the back for the outdoor kitchen, I bet it weighs all of 2800#.

If I had wanted an outdoor kitchen, I would have purchased a teardrop style.

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

We couldn't tow it with our Subaru. We are restricted to 2000#. I'll keep our Trillium, 1450#.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #16

Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes each brand of trailer desirable for each owner. I think the Genesis has some good ideas, but here in the Pacific NorthWET I don't want to HAVE to cook outside. But that's me and my circumstances for where I live. Others feel fortunate when they get rain! I'm just glad now we have someone on the forum that owns one and we get to hear about it
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #17

Donna, Your just a wealth of information, And we all appreciate your guidance, even if you live in the Northwet. Hasn't sog'ed your ability you provide us with great links and info. Thanks again! Robin
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #18

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I, personally, love the Genesis. I am a previous Scamp owner and current LittleGuy teardrop owner. To me, the Genesis blends the two -- it is sort of a super-teardrop. The drawbacks of teardrops are, primarily, no changing room and no bathroom. The outdoor kitchen is, to my way of thinking, only a problem if you frequently camp in very wet or very windy conditions. Something that Genesis might consider is making a tent-enclosure for the galley, to make cooking in the rain more pleasant.

We have a little out-house tent and a porta-pot that suits us fine, but there is no denying the attraction of a "real" bathroom. The Genesis has an unbelievably nice bathroom for such a small camper -- far, far, far, and let me say FAR better than what is offered in most of our egg campers.

If I were to tire of my teardrop (not likely anytime soon), I would very seriously consider the Genesis. Granted it is quite heavy, but it seems to be really well built, and I like that. With just a few exceptions, most SUVs and small pickups can handle the weight.

By the way, just as a comparison, my Scamp 13 Dlx (with fridge, air, bathroom, etc) weighed 1800 pounds. This trailer is a foot shorter and 1000 pounds heavier. That adds up to a lot of extra material! That also means it is a lot more solid. Compared to the Genesis, the Scamp frame is much lighter, the fiberglass is much thinner, and the interior is much more "basic". Not trying to talk down the Scamp at all (We loved ours!)-- just saying that the Genesis is a nice match for the "build it once" folks.

I would dearly love to see one in person.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #19

Paul, I think the problem with the weight is, that most people who look for smaller travel trailers due so because their tow vehicle has towing weight limits. Of course there are people who have tow vehicles that can tow much more weight and prefer a smaller rig, but they tend to go for larger travel trailers for more room, more options etc. Thankfully the fiberglass world has such wonderful options in all sizes and styles. I just think it's great that their is a completely different option, though I don't think it's an option as well suited weight wise as some other brands. Now for those tall people who want a fiberglass trailer but say a scamp or casita don't work as well in the height department this would certainly be a great option. I got to remember that when people ask about height and an egg...................
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #20

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Robin -- No question about it, 2800# is a lot of weight for a 12' trailer. And, for those for whom weight is a key consideration, the Genesis is probably not the best choice. I sold my 1800# Scamp because I wanted lighter weight -- I went to a 600# LittleGuy, and I can tow it with just about anything. The Genesis seems like the Cadillac of minimalism -- very small, but loaded, and built apparently to last forever. My point isn't that it is "better" than other brands, because the criteria for "better" varies for each person. I just think it is a great option for someone who wants small, comfortable and maneuverable, but isn't so concerned about weight. (Plus, the cooking odors and grease splatters stay outside!)
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genesis