Lil Snoozy Wheelbase - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
To be fair, I should mention that the new axle on my Hauley has not presented difficulties despite some narrow roads and streets. If only it had started with an 8' wide axle, I probably would have been fine; but unbeknown to me they'd sold me an 8'6" wide axle (and the fenders stuck out even farther). 6" narrower really has made a big difference for me. I think most people would be ok with the 8' wide, once they grew accustomed to it.

Tulsa has some old streets near downtown that I must traverse regularly; these streets were designed for 3-lane traffic (center turn lane), but they repainted them as 4-lanes. That outside lane only has about 3" to spare on either side of the axle, and I hate skinning the tire against the curb, so I always try to stay in the inside lane.

Luckily, hardly any of you will find yourselves having to deal with the results of cheap-out city councils when you go camping, so your situation likely will be better.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have not measured the track width on my Tacoma vs. my Scamp, but they look to be pretty close. I would have a few problems and questions with the trailer track being much wider:
1. more care needed in tight turns, although I would rather lose a wheel instead of the whole side of the camper in a sideswipe.
2. while dodging pot holes or rough pavement, and we all know there is enough of it along the way, I get feedback from my TV how well I am doing, and I can assume that the Scamp is following exactly.
3. driving in heavy rain - I assume that all wheels tracking is better with respect to hydroplaning or rolling resistance.
4. do I need a wider track on the trailer to pull more g's in a turn? I am not crazy to test the limits either way!
The wider track does not seem to be of any advantage. The storage space that the wheel wells take up does not look very significant.
My two cents.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #23

Colorado
More two cents re. #3 above. On September 12 we crossed the watershed from NL to PQ just west of Labrador City. There was an inch of slush on the road and I was glad I had to make just one track in the snow with both the truck and trailer. Here is what it looked like when we woke up.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT1449.jpg  
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Once again it all comes down to preference. Lil Snoozy has a three month backlog. I guess they have no trouble selling them....

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
One thing I noticed on the Lil Snoozy sales video - things like the cassette toilet (which I really like) are not standard. The standard option is a porta potty. The cassette shown on the video is extra $600. Same deal with the nice "memory mattress" - it's an added option. Their list price is $19.9K, but quickly adds up to more like $25K with just a few options.
Thats common to Scamp and Casita and other manufactures as well. But as you sound like your not totally sold on a LS and Customer Service is important you should give the 17' Escape a good look - base price on it is $22,500.00 but the list of standard equipment include for that is long!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The track being wide is relative to the track on the TV. If it is close, then the trailer will track with the tow vehicle. If there is a significant difference then it won't. In the latter case you can find yourself adjusting your position in your lane constantly trying to compensate for one then the other. This is most significant on heavily traveled blacktop where truck traffic has worn deep tracks in the pavement. A car dolly or boat trailer can provide a good illustration.
Someone mentioned being able to see the wheels. That is important with external fenders in parking lots, centerline barriers, or even when setting up at a campsite. It does require setting your mirrors a bit lower than normal to bring the fenders into view, which I think is a wise move.
As with any change, extra care must be taken until good habits and familiarity are developed, after that...It's what your used to!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thats common to Scamp and Casita and other manufactures as well. But as you sound like your not totally sold on a LS and Customer Service is important you should give the 17' Escape a good look - base price on it is $22,500.00 but the list of standard equipment include for that is long!
Customer service is one thing that all fiberglass trailers have in common. They all have the same network of options in case repairs or warranty work is needed. There are no dealer networks, so it comes down to whether the builder is faithful and willing to pay a third party for repairs and how much verification is required of the buyer. They all seem to be very good at honoring their warranties.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

We purchased a used twin bed model (very rare) The Wide track is perfect for those interstates We are not bothered by big trucks racing by us at 70-80mph it's the most stable trailer I have driven . In an earlier life I was a trailer rep for a boat /cargo trailer mfg. I have lost count of how many trailer boats I've driven.
The Snoozy has so many good features
1-all fiberglass no wood floors
2-wheels you can see from your mirrors
3-rear entry with a 28 in door with screen door
4-Nice wood cabinets I would rather have fiberglass built ins like a egg camper
5-cassette toilet ( it has had its problems which I fixed with a sturdier hose )

Richard sent me new cabinet hinges for my used snoozy trailer and helped me ( with phone help)take apart my cassette toilet . so I think they have done a good job It's all personnel taste we were sold on the Egg camper until my wife saw the Lil Snoozy
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #29

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am "Rexlion" on rv.net. To set things straight, I never demanded more, I merely told Alan (based on his comment to me that the trailer was not designed for a spring axle and would be damaged by it without reinforcing the frame) that I was willing to accept his offer if he would also provide info on what frame reinforcements were necessary. To that he replied that my demands were unreasonable. Paul, do you think that it was unreasonable of me to ask him how I should protect my trailer from damage when using a spring axle?

As for my driving, how would you like to be on a very narrow country blacktop with no center line and have a car coming toward you that looks to be a little too far over? I bet you would run one trailer tire off the pavement, just like I did.

Oh and BTW, when I contacted the frame mfr and asked what reinforcements were needed on the frame for a spring axle, they were puzzled and said no such reinforcement was necessary. So what does that say about Alan's veracity?

Here's the thread on FGRV: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...les-61023.html
Mike --

Thanks for the additional information. The nature of the conversation with Alan did not come across clearly to me from the earlier post. But, to answer your question, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to ask Alan if he knows the information, but it probably is unreasonable to expect that he would. He hired somebody to design a trailer frame with a torsion axle. From my understanding, he uses a local company that builds trailers with torsion axles.

Whoever engineered the trailer clearly did so with a torsion axle in mind, since that is what is used. While this in no way means that it isn't suitable for leaf springs, it wasn't designed with that in mind (unless it was designed specifically to work with either, which is possible). From a liability perspective, Snoozy would be fools to give you the go-ahead, or to shoot off-the-cuff about how to reinforce it. As far as Alan probably knows, the frame was designed for torsion axle, and only torsion axle. Could he or should he have taken the time to call the trailer manufacturer? I think you could make that argument.

That said, I suspect Alan was also responding in frustration, and you would have likely gotten a very different response if you were a happy customer who was interested in putting on a custom axle for happier reasons. So, he may well have not given the best response in your case.

At this point, I want to say that if my earlier post sounded to be critical of you, I did not mean it to, and I apologize. I was referring to the situation, or specifically, how the situation would sound to Alan (whose response we are evaluating) -- A customer calls to complain that the axle is too wide, and it caused damage. Customer wants Alan to fix it, redesign/reinforce the frame, and pay for it. Alan suspects this to be a no-happy-ending situation. (Again, this is me imagining Alan's perspective). But, Alan doesn't believe he is at fault, nor that the design is flawed. He puts up a peace offering, which is met with further demands. So, he says, "Phooey. We tried."

Again, you may well have a different perspective on how you presented your case, and I only know what I have read, and am fluffing it from there.

Regarding the oncoming car on a narrow road, again, I wasn't criticizing your driving skills (didn't intend to, anyway). It is one of those situations. It really didn't matter whether the trailer was 7', 8', 8.5', or 14' wide. You had to ditch it to prevent an accident, and sustained some damage in the process. Not your fault, not the trailer's fault (I think I used the word "error" earlier, which was the wrong word). Sacrificing equipment to save lives was ... the right thing to do.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't mean to sound negative, really I don't. But will somebody explain to me how "being able to see the wheels" is an advantage? It seems to me the only reason a person would need to see them is because they are they are out there where they can be seen in the first place. If they were tucked back under the trailer following the tug's track you don't need to see them, you know where they are.

I have trailers made both ways, and have towed a lot of various configurations over the years and greatly prefer a trailer with a track width approximating that of the tow vehicle. To many years farming and expecting my implements to be following the tractor's wheels I suppose.

I hear all of the reasons the wide track is an "advantage" and they all sound pretty weak in the face of the safety and convenience of a narrower track. If there were sound mechanical reasons or load parameters that required the wide track then so be it. I have trailers made that way and use them accordingly. For the way I drive, camp, and store my FGRV the wider track is not only completely unnecessary, it would be a decided inconvenience.

It is interesting the design decisions that manufacturers make. The Nest seems to follow roughly a similar layout to the Snoozy but has inboard wheels (and no traditional frame). The Nest also so far apparently does not have a provision for a grey water tank. The Parkliner started out with an internal A/C unit but now comes with a roof top unit. Oliver originally built a smaller trailer, went to a bigger unit, and is apparently adding the smaller one back into their line. Escape built the 5.0 with a single axle for a while and then “upgraded” to the 5.0 TA (tandem axle). And through it all Scamp continues to be Scamp and builds (and sells) FGRVs the “old fashioned way”.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #31

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Seems my post (which was intended to be for visual fun) took a hard left turn.
Sorry about that my friends.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We purchased a used twin bed model (very rare) The Wide track is perfect for those interstates We are not bothered by big trucks racing by us at 70-80mph it's the most stable trailer I have driven . In an earlier life I was a trailer rep for a boat /cargo trailer mfg. I have lost count of how many trailer boats I've driven.
The Snoozy has so many good features
1-all fiberglass no wood floors
2-wheels you can see from your mirrors
3-rear entry with a 28 in door with screen door
4-Nice wood cabinets I would rather have fiberglass built ins like a egg camper
5-cassette toilet ( it has had its problems which I fixed with a sturdier hose )

Richard sent me new cabinet hinges for my used snoozy trailer and helped me ( with phone help)take apart my cassette toilet . so I think they have done a good job It's all personnel taste we were sold on the Egg camper until my wife saw the Lil Snoozy
You make a solid point! Personal preference is important. Two of the advantages you cite would be deal breakers for me. Wide track and rear entry. I also much prefer my oak cabinets.
I think the rendition of the Snoozy without the external fenders really looks nice.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #33

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg489 View Post
Seems my post (which was intended to be for visual fun) took a hard left turn.
Sorry about that my friends.
No need to be sorry. Most threads, probably all, meander in unpredictable ways, but they often lead to interesting discussions.

When towing I always set my mirrors so that I can see the trailer wheels in turns and quickly glance to see if I am making the turns wide enough. It has become a habit.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
....The Nest also so far apparently does not have a provision for a grey water tank......
"we have decided to take your advice and find a way to include an on-board gray water tank."

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post489896
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Tim, one of the reasons that I like to see the tires is to see if one is getting low on air pressure. I may one day do like Norm did, and purchase a tire pressure monitoring system.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I can check the tires on my Escape simply by adjusting the power mirrors on the RAV4. Have a quick look and then move them back.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #37

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I like to see the tires because:

I can see if one has low pressure

I can see if there is a major bearing failure

If I hit something small , I can see if there is damage.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That's an interesting point, Carol.

All of the FG brands have climbed in price now, and I would guess (haven't checked just lately) that decently equipped, new 16'-17' units are probably all in that $20k+ neighborhood, or at least getting close to it. When you posted that about the Escape, it made me readjust my thinking. I've always seen them (in my mind) as a high-priced unit. But really they are pretty competitive. (No wonder they have such a long wait time.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #39

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Agree on price of Escape. As others climb in price, Escape is becoming more in line with other fiberglass brands. Escape is back on my radar for consideration.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Agree on price of Escape. As others climb in price, Escape is becoming more in line with other fiberglass brands. Escape is back on my radar for consideration.
Actually price them , comparably equipped. Looks like about $4000 difference comparably equipped. additional option choices look like a wash, some higher from Escape, some higher from Scamp.
Comparison... Escape 17 layout B to Scamp16D layout B.
I agree that these two trailers appeal to somewhat different demographics.
The $4000 may not even be a deal breaker, since many buyers would choose one or the other if they were evenly priced.
They are both too large for my taste, and claiming larger size alone as an advantage would be like claiming that a Suburban is a better choice than a Camaro.

Tags
lil snoozy