Our Trillium project! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Trillium 13'
Ontario
Our Trillium project!

So just putting the finishing touches on our Trillium Trailer. After an amazing find on Facebook ($3500 Canadian!!!) I set out to modernize and update it. Added was air conditioning, 12v system with deep cycle battery and Stereo (JVC unit and Bose bookshelf speakers), solar panel charging, full 30amp electrical and new wiring, water tank and pumping system, new taps, painted doors, new flooring (vinyl plank) and polished the outside (was REALLY faded when we got it a few months ago.. Compound and wax does wonders), also added a hot water propane system (removable for towing-- Just hooks onto the front frame- works great INSTANT heat for the inside AND has an external Shower )(Ecotemp L7) with propane tank box on front, added a hitch receiver to the back to carry toys and such the updates adds a lot of comfort. All ready for Starfest (an astronomy convention) not bad for a 42 year old 1975 trailer :-)- Original Awning is in mint shape- I was amazed it came with one! I replaced the weeny 13" bicycle wheels with chunky 14" rims with 195/70R radials.. rolls straight and stable as a rock!
Love this thing.. such a nice design and a solid "lifetime" investment!
Cheers All
Dave and Suz
Attached Thumbnails
image5.jpg   image6.jpg  

image4.jpg   image2.jpg  

image9.jpg   image3.jpg  

image8.jpg   image7.jpg  

MoDZuKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Name: Gavin
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I like the mods you have done. May have some questions for you in the future. Nice looking trailer you have!
cabnfevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Ontario
Anytime ask away.. I have done scads in a really short time.. Amazon is your friend! for parts
Dave
Old 07-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
Dave, we own a 17 ft Boler. We have the same accent pillows and metal basket as seen on your table. Jysk ??
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Ontario
Ha Ha Great minds think alike.. Its all about the GREEN...lol
Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Ontario
Just thought to add to this post ..we just installed a microwave in the upper closet nook.. Looks like it's supposed to be there..lol
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #7

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hey Dave, how are you powering the AC and microwave?
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 AM   #8

Ontario
Hi Clayton... I installed a 2 breaker panel and a 30 amp RV plug. The AC runs off one breaker and the balance runs off the other breaker. Lighting is 12volt as is the stereo. Solar charging tops up the deep cycle battery but I also have a 120v charger and 30 amp 12 volt power supply that I have wired up to the 120v supply in case the solar panels can't keep up.
Cheers
Dave
Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 AM   #9

Name: JIM
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1975
Nova Scotia
Trillium A.C.

Dave, I am interested in your A.C. installation. Did you duct it to the vents or is the A.C. in a closed box. I bought an 8000 BTU LG portable A.C. unit and am planning on putting it in the vertical cupboard beside the door. I was thinking on using 2 of those vents. I would loose three quarters of the space in the cupboard and I am worried about circulation. Any ideas? Jim
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
David, looks like you got a really great deal, and you've done nice work updating it. I suspects lots of folks are going to be GREEN... with envy!

Time to enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
Dave, I am interested in your A.C. installation. Did you duct it to the vents or is the A.C. in a closed box. I bought an 8000 BTU LG portable A.C. unit and am planning on putting it in the vertical cupboard beside the door. I was thinking on using 2 of those vents. I would loose three quarters of the space in the cupboard and I am worried about circulation. Any ideas? Jim
Hi Jim.. The way I installed mine is outlined in this excellent "how to"
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-59256.html
I followed his lead.. works GREAT However I think on the outlet side I am going to add a second 6" deck plate so it breathes better- Today it was hot like crazy out and I found the AC unit was REALLY warm.. I think it needs a bit more breathing.. maybe a 6" on the inlet and 8" on the outlet- I am going to add a second 6"//I think in reality an 8000BTU unit is massively overkill.. even the tiny 5000BTU unit I have loafs along with the small size of the trillium 1300.. Whatever you choose there needs to be 2 separate circuits- the inlet side needs to be totally separated from the outlet side,, and of course the inside just takes air from inside and puts it back into the same area.. I used 1" thick syrofoam SM and hot glued pieces together.. the top of the exhaust side "slots" tightly into the sides of the box I made to hug the outer sirfaces of the AC to form the exit chamber. make sure to isolate the condensate with a "dam" so that the fan doesnt pick it up and spray it around as in the article.. I have a funnell shaped piece that I allow it to drip into and out the bottom of the trailer..
Good luck - its a great Mod..
Cheers
Dave
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
David, looks like you got a really great deal, and you've done nice work updating it. I suspects lots of folks are going to be GREEN... with envy!

Time to enjoy!
Hi Jon.. Yes I think so also.. I am almost done.. Just my 12 volt "power converter" power supply just needs installing and the isolation switches installed then shes pretty much done.. First outing is first week in August!!..
Can't wait..
Cheers
Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #13

Ontario
A new addition.. a spiffy LED strip light over the kitchen. I made this light fixture from a piece of 1/2" aluminum channel and a strip of 5050 SMD LED strip light. A dimmer (motor controller) provides a way to vary the lights intensity and a master switch.. Very bright nice even light - Cheap and looks like its not there - Definately doesnt look like a light..
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg  

image3.jpg   image4.jpg  

image6.jpg  
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDZuKi View Post
Just thought to add to this post ..we just installed a microwave in the upper closet nook.. Looks like it's supposed to be there..lol
Cheers
Dave
Looks large enough that you could park the Trillium in it.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

Ontario
Naaaa it's a little .7cubic foot unit fits great up there
Just right.
Cheers
Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #16

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Nice Trillium. I'm working on adding AC to ours and found yours in the search.
I'm also following Youhauler's guide, but installing the unit in the road side seat base of my front dinette.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #17

Ontario
Yup that would work great. I didn't have room on that side with the ice box there. I had to use 2x6" deck plates to have the AC vent properly on the hot side. It was getting way too hot with just one in and one out so I went one in and 2 out.
Cheers
Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #18

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I hope that just one 6"er works, I'm so close to the corner there's no room for two. The 5K btu unit I bought looks identical to Youhauler's, just branded Frigidaire, so maybe his results will follow.

What do you think about a computer fan mounted at the outlet plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #19

Ontario
Ya I tried a computer fan but they don't flow enough. A desk fan blowing out worked much better a small clamp on one. The second one for me was best and it's hidden behind my front storage case I have the propane and stuff in. There's about 5" in front of it so it flows great. Mount a fan so it blows the cold air up into the trailer or it doesn't flow to the whole space
Cheers
Dave
Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #20

Ontario
This is my AC installation from the outside.. It does work really well.. and the Solar Panel that I mounted on the roof.. So that theres no extra penetrations, I just drilled the existing holes for the canopy rail and tapped 1/4-20 then threaded a stainless bolt from inside- Theres a nut to secure the rail then knobs to secure the solar panel..
I ran the wires through the Propane box to a waterproof fitting under the trailer.
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
trill AC.jpg   solar Trill.jpg  

Tags
trillium