Lil Snoozy vs Scamp discussion (split from Classifieds) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Lil Snoozy vs Scamp discussion (split from Classifieds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
this thread was split out of te Scamp classified ad located here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post240716
Well, if the Scamp bed was larger we would already be on our way to pick it up. Lil Snoozy has a 14.7 Ft cabin instead of Scamp's 13 Ft cabin and they put the extra length into the bed making it a QUEEN! It's a full 60" wide! Me and Hubby are your "average" Americans so the hopes of a bigger bed is what is keeping us from pulling the trigger. We leave a week from Tuesday when the kids are on Spring Break and it cant get here fast enough! LOL.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Looks like it comes with a payment book to me.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Well, if the Scamp bed was larger we would already be on our way to pick it up. Lil Snoozy has a 14.7 Ft cabin instead of Scamp's 13 Ft cabin and they put the extra length into the bed making it a QUEEN! It's a full 60" wide! Me and Hubby are your "average" Americans so the hopes of a bigger bed is what is keeping us from pulling the trigger. We leave a week from Tuesday when the kids are on Spring Break and it cant get here fast enough! LOL.
Have you been in contact with Lil Snoozy? I was not aware they had started production. The Scamp will not last long at that price- you know what they say, a bird in the hand is a lot better than a Lil Snoozy dream.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

ROFL! You are correct, Jim! Yes, I have been in contact with Lil Snoozy. They are feverishly working to get their RVIA certification which stalled production not to mention the winter weather delaying completion of their plant. They are making changes to satisfy the RVIA requirments and if approved will begin production in April. We will be viewing their prototype when we visit. They have not photographed the prototype yet as it did not meet RVIA standards. Once approved they will post photos. If e'thing goes according to plan they should have no problem having our trailer ready by my June departure.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
" having our trailer ready by my June departure" So sounds like you have seen them, if so, can you describe the floorplan, You know layout of where the bed and table and appliances are or maybe you are buying sight-unseen? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
" having our trailer ready by my June departure" So sounds like you have seen them, if so, can you describe the floorplan, You know layout of where the bed and table and appliances are or maybe you are buying sight-unseen? Thanks.
If we are able to sell our 16 footer, we will buy the 19 footer. We have not seen the interior and will base our decision as the which layout we order, on input from current owners, pictures from the Scamp forum and brochures and photos from Scamp website.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyruns View Post
If we are able to sell our 16 footer, we will buy the 19 footer. We have not seen the interior and will base our decision as the which layout we order, on input from current owners, pictures from the Scamp forum and brochures and photos from Scamp website.
I think Ken was referring to the LiL Snoozy comment, not your Scamp purchase.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

We have not seen Lil Snoozy yet but the layout as told to us is as follows: You enter from the back of the trailer, The wetbath is on one side and the Galley on the other. The bunks (or sofa) are forward of the Galley, the Queen bed is in the very front. I dont know where anything else is installed like fridge, A/C, furnace etc but that stuff isnt as important to us. From what know so far it will meet our needs the best if it makes it to production. The 2 most important points being a comfortable 4 sleeper and a bigger main bed. We would NEVER buy site unseen. Lil Snoozy is only 6 hrs from us and the kids will be on Spring Break so it should be a fun and hopefully fruitful trip.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Melissa, if that Lil Snoozy doesn't work out for you .... have you ever thought of the 16 Scamp Layout 7? That is the trailer I would have if I had a family. There are not many of them around as everyone wants a bathroom, but they feel nice and roomy inside.

Scamp Travel Trailers: 16 Foot Floor Plans

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I may be missing something here but... I have searched the internet and I can't find any sample drawings, let alone photo's, of this new trailer. How is it possible to compare an existing trailer (with a proven history) such as a Scamp, with a concept trailer from a brand new company? Even the most capable craftspeople, with the best equipment and facilities, are going to encounter ... surprises... as they develop a product from prototype to production. Mind you, I watch with interest when I see news reports of people lining up at midnight outside a large retailer to be the first to buy a new concept electronic gadget but these are usually brought to market after loads of testing. Even with those, the version 2 model introduces changes not included in version 1 due to market feedback. If there are any renderings of this new trailer I'd be very interested in seeing it.
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Barrie
Everyone is interested in seeing it.....if it exists?
There has been discussion here already regarding the existence of this trailer much less the details of the design and layout?

I can not accept that they would keep it this quiet if it is real,I like to think some outside input might be welcome in tweaking it toward production.

I also wonder based on Mellisa's description if there is only 1 seating area?
Sounds like a Compact brand layout sort of but maybe stretched somewhat?
If true this would be another case of making the bed every night which is what I don't choose to do?

Did I read it correctly?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

Well, that is why we are going up in person. To see for ourselves that it exists and the quality and workanship. With them being former boat builders I'd think that knowledge and expertise would transfer over. Somebody had to buy the first Scamp, Casita etc and us being so close to the factory would be an advantage. It's only another week of waiting to find out for sure. If Hubby had weekends off we would have already driven up to check it out. But since his days off are Mon and Tues we've had to wait for the kids to be on break.

It does sound like a stretched Compact brand to me too. From the description there is a seperate seating area. Forward of the Galley our floorplan would have bunks but the other options are 2 chairs or a sofa per Nicholas' previous post. Then you have your full time Queen bed in front. It is not convertable to anything else. It's only a bed. So you have your seperate seating area all the time and your full time bed.

Nancy, I had not thought about layout 7 for the 16ft Scamp. Then we'd all have our seperate sleeping areas. Do you suppose the closet it big enough for a privacy room for a portapotti? Having a nearly 15 y/o daughter in the trailers it's not feasible to use the potti in the middle of the floor. There must be privacy.

In 1 week all our questions will be answered and we'll know if we will be Scamp owners or Lil Snoozy owners. I cant remember who it was who said they were going to stop into the Snoozy factory I think back in Feb on their way home but havent seen anything about if they did or didnt yet.

Whatever the outcome of this trip no harm no foul. At least we wont be left wondering what could have been.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Well, that is why we are going up in person. To see for ourselves that it exists and the quality and workanship. With them being former boat builders I'd think that knowledge and expertise would transfer over. Somebody had to buy the first Scamp, Casita etc and us being so close to the factory would be an advantage. It's only another week of waiting to find out for sure. If Hubby had weekends off we would have already driven up to check it out. But since his days off are Mon and Tues we've had to wait for the kids to be on break.

It does sound like a stretched Compact brand to me too. From the description there is a seperate seating area. Forward of the Galley our floorplan would have bunks but the other options are 2 chairs or a sofa per Nicholas' previous post. Then you have your full time Queen bed in front. It is not convertable to anything else. It's only a bed. So you have your seperate seating area all the time and your full time bed.

Nancy, I had not thought about layout 7 for the 16ft Scamp. Then we'd all have our seperate sleeping areas. Do you suppose the closet it big enough for a privacy room for a portapotti? Having a nearly 15 y/o daughter in the trailers it's not feasible to use the potti in the middle of the floor. There must be privacy.

In 1 week all our questions will be answered and we'll know if we will be Scamp owners or Lil Snoozy owners. I cant remember who it was who said they were going to stop into the Snoozy factory I think back in Feb on their way home but havent seen anything about if they did or didnt yet.

Whatever the outcome of this trip no harm no foul. At least we wont be left wondering what could have been.
Melissa,
I hope you do not get disappointed or that your expectations are not met, but a 6 hour drive is not nearby for me. There were 2-3 other forum members here that lived within 1-2 hours that were going to check them out. They have not posted anything because I think there is nothing to check out. It takes years to start a new manufacturing product, not months. They just incorporated 6 months ago and have not obtained their certification, let alone purchase materials and start hiring, training and producing. We are still in a recession and financial backing is hard to come by.
I'd call and ask for some pictures before driving from Florida to N. Carolina just to see that there are no models to look at. If they have a physical model, let them send you a picture. The Scamp is a proven trailer, Lil Snoozy is a concept.
This LiL Snoozy concept has yet to materialize but boy does it draw attention here in the forums. I wonder why that is, winter time blues?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #14

LOL, I guess my perception of "nearby" has changed after driving 4 days to Wy last summer, 8 hr down to Key West, 12 hrs to North Carolina for T'giving and then 2 days to TX over Christmas. Anything I can accomplish in half a day in now suddenly "nearby", LOL. Gee, I didnt realize we had traveled that much this past year. That's more than the entire 19 yrs we've been in FL. Heck, as far away from us as most of the 16ft Scamps for sale are 6 hrs is a walk in the park!

Dont worry, we're taking all this with a grain of salt. We just want to see for ourselves. I agree the timeframe does seem questionable. Scamp and Casita dont have the RVIA certification so I dont understand why Lil Snoozy is trying so hard to get it. Maybe it adds value or confidence to the trailer?

You'd think if any other members had driven by and there was nothing to it they would have posted that here. At least we'll know in a few days if we're buying Becky's Scamp or ordering one etc. Scamp can still have one ready for us by summer at this point.

Thanks for all the concerns and various viewpoints and thoughts on the matter. We're weighing e'thing that is said heavily and not brushing anything off. We have no real expectations until we see a trailer but it would be nice if it works out since it would meet our desires. We know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true....." I guess the board will be waiting anxiously for our report when we get back, lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One thing we learned in our travels is that western driving is a lot easier than eastern driving. There's just a lot fewer people in the west making driving so much easier.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I'm retired after 35 years in truck transportation and have participated in the purchase of many millions of dollars of equipment in that time. When a manufacturer is considering a new model they normally 'mock up' a unit, using production samples (dash, shifter etc...) and let their prospective clients check it out and make suggestions before finalizing the molds. If I were to start a new business, intending to produce a new travel trailer to a very competitive marketplace, I would be falling all over myself to get my product introduced; artist renderings, floor plans, pictures of prototypes (with emphasis that it's a prototype...). I agree with the idea that experience working with fiberglass in boat building will have a skill set transfer component. That means construction of the fiberglass tub, building molds etc. I grew up in a fishing village. Boats don't have axles, brakes etc. While taking things with a grain of salt is healthy I think you may need a cow lick with this one... LOL.
Good luck!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Melissa, the Scamp layout I pointed you to does not have room for any privacy anything, sorry. One could always put up one of those porta potty tents, not ideal.

If your young ones can't use the public facilities I guess you need to look for a self contained unit with privacy. I made a privacy curtain. Others have made a shower enclosure in the middle of their trailers, hanging shower curtain.

We only use the porta potty at night because we are old, if we were younger and could get through the night we wouldn't be using one.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #18

"While taking things with a grain of salt is healthy I think you may need a cow lick with this one... LOL".

Barrie, that was hilarious! LOL! And all true.

Nancy, I think we're going to have to have a regular potti in the trailer. At 6 ft tall and 260lbs Hubby refuses to use a portapotti. Says they are too small and flimsy and not enough privacy even with a curtain. One of our popups had a cassette toilet and a curtain but the girls were a lot younger then so it didnt bother him so bad and the cassette style is bigger, stronger and more solid. We plan on camping in possible bear country out West so visiting the facilities (if there are facilities) in the night wouldnt be an option. Heck, I cant remember when I didnt have to get up at least once in the night and I'm only 40, LOL!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Melissa,
I understand the concept that six hours away is "close by."
I've not read all your posts. Have you seen Scamps and Casitas to compare to the Li'l Snoozy you're about to see, and possibly order?
I'm all about molded fiberglass, and I think it's important to know what each vendor has to offer, if nothing but for a frame of reference.
I'm not too far away, certainly less than six hours. This week, there's an Oliver and my friend's Casita at the side of our house...
I suspect if you'd like to see a Scamp, or a Casita, before you go to South Carolina, that there are others closer who'd share a peek.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #20

Thanks for the offer Sherry. We have been inside the Casitas and Scamps when we went to "Scamp Camp" Last month there in Sebring at Hillsborough SP. We had to wait for Scamp Camp to finally see a Scamp as the Factory couldnt locate one anywhere remotely near us who was offering a look. I also have Casita and Scamp brochures which I think we have memorized, lol. I'm a tape measure and notepad. Others have offered additional info to look for and compare to as well.
We're so excited b/c we'll know Monday if we're getting a Scamp or Snoozy.

Thanks again!
Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy, scamp

« English Pod | Itchy »