Proud new owners of a 17' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Roger & MaryAnne
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Proud new owners of a 17' Boler

Hi,
We are the proud owners of a 17' Boler in Nova Scotia. We have been trying to find one for years, searching Kijiji, newspapers etc. We have even stopped and knocked on doors when we saw a Boler in their driveway, lol. It was on one of these drives last spring that we saw the 17' Boler in someone's driveway. My husband, Roger, got out and talked to the owner who said they were just thinking about selling it and getting a motorhome. They took our number and said they would get back to us at the end of the summer to let us know what they decide. Well that usually means, "thanks but no thanks". so you can imagine how surprised we were when we got a call early in September asking us if we were still interested. A few days later we were towing our very own "new to us" 17' Boler! I've attached 2 pics, one when we picked it up and the other was taken on the way home when we passed a Walmart and thought "why not", lol. I am hoping to recover the cushions but I am looking for templates or patterns for them. The existing ones seem to be different thicknesses so I suspect they didn't have a pattern either. If someone could help me with locating patterns or templates that would be great. Other than replacing cushions and curtains there is relatively minor work that needs to be done so we are looking forward to using it this summer around Nova Scotia, then on to greater journeys next year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9054.jpg   IMG_9060.jpg  

MaryAnne Rolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Your Boler looks fantastic! CONGRATULATIONS! I have a 17' 1980 Boler as well and want to replace and recover my cushions .

I went to a foam/fabric store in Bradford, Ontario and purchased a twin mattress size piece of foam,
5 inches thick, high density. I had brought my old pieces with me and asked the owner to outline the old foam against the new foam.

That piece of foam with tax was approx. $300 but so comfy Steve wouldn't let me go any further with it. Once we "moore" our trailer the bed at the back remains a bed. We initially cover it with a packing blanket from Princess Auto and then make the bed from there.

The place I bought the foam from has been in business for two generations and I was delighted to find fabric from the late 70's that suited my needs. I bought 10 metres. I really have no idea how much I need.

In hindsight I am kicking my butt for not saving the original covers with working zipper. It would have been so easy to take out the stitches and use the pieces as a template, allowing for the extra foam height.

Last year I bought a single foam mattress from Leon's on special for $99. Very comfy, 5" thick.

This time I am going to trace and cut it myself, using the old foam as my pattern, bring out the electric cutting knife, upholstery spray glue, batting
and get to work.

I am going to use the original covers as the pattern and the original zippers. The post office sells wide rolls of brown craft paper that I have to outline the pattern. I'm not going vinyl on the bottom, instead using some raw but washed canvas. I cheaper out here as well and got the biggest
canvas painters cloth on sale a either Canadian Tire or Home Hardware. I had to cut it in half to pre wash it in an oversized washing machine at the laundromat.

I think I had better make one seat cover out of broadcloth just to get the feel of it before I cut into my precious vintage fabric.

The best of luck with your project.

I am very curious. What was the asking price of the trailer? What year is it?

Just for your own piece of mind get a safety check done on it, especially the bearings and brakes.

Cheers from Alliston Ontario and have a fantastic summer in your Boler. I love mine!

P.S. Every year one or two people come knocking on my door asking if mine is for sale. It's not. Just warning you in advance. I don't give them a tour politely telling them I have misplaced the key....

Linda Thomas-Stewart
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Welcome to both the Forum and the family of FGRV owners!

Your Boler looks like it's in excellent condition. Camping this summer will be awesome!

If you are interested in meeting others with fiberglass trailers, of all makes and models, in July, you might consider inquiring about the rally being held in Aylesford in July.

If you look on the right hand side of this screen, there is a section of Upcoming Events. The rally is called Maritime Vintage Fiberglass Rally. Contact them to get more info. Rallies are excellent ways to garner tons of info, meet lots of other owners and see how others have renovated/decorated their campers.

Again, welcome!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Name: Mary Ellen
Trailer: Boler 1700 1978
Ontario
Welcome MaryAnne. Congrats!!! We also have a 17' Boler which we bought in Leduc, Alberta and brought back to Amherstburg, Ontario a few years ago. Ours is a 1978. We haven't done too much to it yet, but definitely want to change our cushion covers, too. We are just in the process of having our brake wiring repaired on the trailer and the modem put in our truck (has the tow package but not the modem- go figure lol). Anyway, congrats again and welcome.
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
Hi all :-)
We purchased our 17' boler last fall in Thunder Bay ON (about 4 hours east of our home in Dryden, ON). Our first sleep-out took place on the way home, on Halloween weekend in my sister's driveway just outside of Thunder Bay .
We are now stationed in 'Town and Country campground on the outskirts of Winnipeg, MB. Here's a picture of "big B" -- obviously being well used.
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Nova Scotia
Thank you, we didn't know there was a rally in July, will definitely look into it!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Nova Scotia
Hi Linda, The asking price was $6500, we will be getting a safety check done, it is actually required in NS before taking it on the road. Roger is making sure that all plumbing and electrical works, as well as the mechanical and propane lines. When we drove it home, the lights worked great, we were surprised at how light it was, didn't even feel like we were towing anything! The existing cushions are 4" thick but I will be adding a batting to both top and bottom. Unfortunately the previous owners had taken off the old covers and replaced them with sheets that didn't seem to have a pattern just hand stitched over the cushions. I removed them thinking I could use it as a pattern but there was no pattern to the covers, lol. I think I can trace the cushions and go from there. I will be putting zippers in all the cushions. I am going with indoor/outdoor fabric for the cushions and a matching fabric for the curtains. Trying to keep it as original as possible with a bit of a modern touch to the boler. I'll post pics when done. I only wish I would have taken pics of the cushions and curtains "before" I removed them but I will definitely post the "after" pics.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

Name: Morgyn
Nova Scotia
Maybe we'll see you around NS this summer! We're in the metro area and camp with our '13 Boler at the various mainland provincial parks during the camping season. There's also a friendly couple who volunteer as campground hosts at the provincial parks that have a Boler.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler