U-Haul Exterior Center Seam Seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
U-Haul Exterior Center Seam Seal

I have purchase replacement seal material for the exterior center seam rib for my VT. I wish to replace the existing darkened, sunbaked, brittle seal material. I know I will need to use a adhesive to hold the new seal material and wish to know what others have used. Here is a picture of the rear of my VT and the center rib seam seal. I believe you will be able to see how it has darkened.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2012 076.jpg  
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Perk, I used butyl caulking sold for gutters.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #3

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Tom,

Do you use the butyl on the ends only or do you use along the entire ridge?

Also did you clean up the ridge "really well" before you put the new seal on the ridge.

Thanks for your insight.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
Tom,

Do you use the butyl on the ends only or do you use along the entire ridge?

Also did you clean up the ridge "really well" before you put the new seal on the ridge.

Thanks for your insight.
I cleaned the entire ridge thoroughly to make sure the caulk would stick. I squirted caulk down into the center of the trim as I pushed it on, trying to minimize the amount squeezed out. The ends are the trickiest part. When I did mine, the ends wanted to curl off. I'd suggest bending the metal spine to "train" it to lie flat at the ends before it is actually glued into place. I also taped the ends down until the caulk had cured.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Hi Thomas, I'm researching sealing the center seam of my 1999 Burro. Would you mind letting me know how has that butyl caulk held up over the last few years?
jwjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul