Sad, sad Scamp demise - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #21

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation The Elephant in the Room

Posters to this tragedy universally miss the key cause and potential fix: an inadequate bumper. Automakers haven't built bumpers into their cars for some twenty years now. Trailer manufacturers have followed suit. A proper force-dissipating bumper in place of the spare tire that is incorporated directly into the frame is what is needed for even minimalist protection.

But I discovered a neat trick that is additively even more protective and can be applied by nearly everyone. When I purchased my VW Eos convertible hardtop sports car I fitted it with the Eos European custom bike rack - a massive contraption that makes bike use easy.

Over two years I've been rear-ended twice, which would have put my car in the repair shop for months without the rack on the back. But the rack absorbs the impact while protecting my car. I now keep a spare rack in stock. When someone hits me, I merely invite them to give me a check for $250 a new rack and maybe compensation for bicycles to avoid getting the police and insurance companies involved. I swap out the damaged rack with my spare and order another one. The same principle can be used to protect the rear of a trailer from the real hazards of public road operation. Imagine the inconvenience saved!
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You forgot to mention the inadequate frame.
Actually, modern cars have modern bumper systems that work to protect the occupants, unlike the chunks of chromed steel they used to use.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Well, after 10 years of enjoying the wandering life offered by a 13 foot Scamp trailer, and after many, many helpful posts from this forum, I think our Scamping days have ended. 5 or 6000 kms from home and three weeks into a planned two-month wander, someone plowed his half-ton into the back of our home away from home in the state of Maine.

Make sure you document the expenses that occurred because of the accident. Also might make a log about your feelings and other problems that happened because of it. If nothing else this can make for good negotiating material. Also might see if you can find one. And yeah I might check to see what the repair would cost.

If you have had any offers from people you can at all document that would be very helpful. Frankly I have had several offers on mine for twice what I paid for it. Yeah the values are going up on some of them.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #24

Name: Yvonne
Trailer: 1987 Casita
Texas
Oh, I am so sorry... that is a sad sight indeed.
TXButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Soooo awful!!! The for sale archive should give your insurance ample info! Poor baby!!! Never give up!!! Find a new to you baby on the for sale site! ❤️🚙🚃
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Secondary Importance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You forgot to mention the inadequate frame.
Actually, modern cars have modern bumper systems that work to protect the occupants, unlike the chunks of chromed steel they used to use.
In this case, the frame is secondary because the frangible bike rack absorbs the impact, thus protecting the frame somewhat.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #27

Name: David
New York
I'd start at $10,000,000.00 with the insurance company and let them come down a little to settle. We got rear ended in March ( in our car ) by a college student that was texting, in her large Dodge truck. You can put all the bells and whistles you can and still get rear ended.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #28

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill&sandra View Post
Soooo awful!!! The for sale archive should give your insurance ample info! Poor baby!!! Never give up!!! Find a new to you baby on the for sale site! ❤️🚙🚃
Amen.

By the way it looks like you got enough good to be worth something. And most insurance companies when it gets all the way to the end oh, they don't want it. Depending on if you have enough storage to do it or not, I did on a vehicle once, you can generally offer them like 50 or 75 bucks and you get all the rest of the value of the vehicle and get it keep it. you might be able to find one that needed some inside parts that you have good for a cheap price and fix it up come out I had money-wise but with an awful lot of sweat equity evolved.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #29

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Amen.

By the way it looks like you got enough good to be worth something. And most insurance companies when it gets all the way to the end oh, they don't want it. Depending on if you have enough storage to do it or not, I did on a vehicle once, you can generally offer them like 50 or 75 bucks and you get all the rest of the value of the vehicle and get it keep it. you might be able to find one that needed some inside parts that you have good for a cheap price and fix it up come out I had money-wise but with an awful lot of sweat equity evolved.
I had a 1964 P1800S Volvo totaled by an at-fault driver once, and when the insurance guy and I discussed the compensation and agreed on a number, (its current value was more than double what I had paid for the car) I looked him square in the eye with a stern look on my face and said: "And I keep the car." Since we were at the finish line and he thought negotiations had already ended, he simply said "Okay."

And.... I sold the carcass for more than I originally paid for the car.

Often the power is in the timing.

OP: It sounds like you are mentally on top of it. Best of luck with however you proceed.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Posters to this tragedy universally miss the key cause and potential fix: an inadequate bumper. Automakers haven't built bumpers into their cars for some twenty years now. Trailer manufacturers have followed suit. A proper force-dissipating bumper in place of the spare tire that is incorporated directly into the frame is what is needed for even minimalist protection.

But I discovered a neat trick that is additively even more protective and can be applied by nearly everyone. When I purchased my VW Eos convertible hardtop sports car I fitted it with the Eos European custom bike rack - a massive contraption that makes bike use easy.

Over two years I've been rear-ended twice, which would have put my car in the repair shop for months without the rack on the back. But the rack absorbs the impact while protecting my car. I now keep a spare rack in stock. When someone hits me, I merely invite them to give me a check for $250 a new rack and maybe compensation for bicycles to avoid getting the police and insurance companies involved. I swap out the damaged rack with my spare and order another one. The same principle can be used to protect the rear of a trailer from the real hazards of public road operation. Imagine the inconvenience saved!
Seeing how bent in the rear bumper is along with the receiver not sure a bike rack would have helped in this case. Your receiver is probably much more robust in the car though so that may work, but the scamp is just very fragile in general in the case of collisions, its also very low.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Damaged 13 foot Scamp trailer.

Sorry to see the pictures of the damage, but I believe the trailer is repairable. The broken fiber glass can salvaged, or new end bonded on, (Not the whole bottom being replaced, which would mean a lot extra work.) and the steel frame of the trailer can be straightened out by a good car body shop especially one experienced in repairing Corvette sports cars. Is also the roof damaged? The photograph seems to show a big dent in the left side of the trailer roof, or it could be the light playing tricks. However, to try to repair the trailer would be by far the most economical way to go. Good Luck!!
Brian Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #32

Indiana
Amen
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Florida
Registry
Valuation of your SCAMP

Sorry for your loss. I am in the process of buying a Bigfoot and found out that NADA is the banks bible for the value of used RV's. Lo and behold NADA had greatly undervalued used Bigfoots. I contacted them (NADA) and was able to, by providing the posted asking prices of many of the ones I was interested in that I found online. (in this forum for one) NADA has now greatly increased their posted value of many of the used Bigfoots that will go live this Oct 4th. So the point is go to the NADA web site. Check the value there. If not realistic let me know or do what I did.

Good Luck
Mike
zorrou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Having reluctantly given up road biking after too many close calls with distracted drivers, I'm a believer in additional, high, tail lights to enhance visibility of our scamp to those same drivers. Several of you have posted excellent solutions. For those interested in doing so without creating any additional holes in the shell, here is a link to an approach I posted several years ago.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hts-71816.html
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for all the kind notes of condolence and the suggestions of where to demonstrate “market value” of the Scamp. An adjuster has now viewed the Scamp and written it off as I anticipated. The damaged Scamp is in Maine and is no longer useful as our home-away-from-home, so we have to abandon it and make our way back to our permanent home on the other side of the continent. We will think about negotiating with the at-fault insurer and our insurer when we are no longer on the road. So if anyone else has concrete suggestions about determining market value, please let me know. I’m in no rush to reach a settlement, and I have way too much on my mind right now, but I DO hope to reach a settlement that makes me feel a little better about this accident that was entirely someone else’s fault, and has had significant consequences. It hasn’t been a “fender-bender” for us.....
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #36

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
So sorry for the loss of your scamp, the scary experience and the loss of your vacation, but so thankful you are safe and weren’t injured !!!
As hard as it is try to focus on the blessings, you are both still alive and safe !
I am confident you will Scamp again and be able to have your dream trip someday
Prayers for a safe trip home and good luck with how it all turns out, keep us posted !
And as someone mentioned, keep track of all your expenses incurred (hotels, eating out) to get back home, also your anguish of the accident, loss of vacation and stress. A good record and timeline is priceless when it comes to your case, don’t rely on memory to do it later you are to stressed, jot it down now !
Best of luck to you !!!
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #37

Name: Andrea
Trailer: Boler
ON
I’m so sorry! What a shame! This breaks my heart.
Andrea D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #38

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13
Alberta
Bashed-in Boler

Sorry about your Scamp. Take the "total loss" cheque to the bank and your trailer to a competent fiberglass shop. That's what we did with our 1974 Boler. Took advantage of the opportunity to address other flaws and scrapes. Cracks & damage spread around the rear window and into the dinette frame and seats. Now better than new! Also, look for comparable trailers for sale in your area. Don't let insurers low-ball your claim just because they are not familiar with classy fiberglass trailers. GOOD LUCK!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1631.jpg   7 bondo rear 2284.jpg  

22 primer 2 2590.jpg   REAR REPAIRED.jpg  

Jim Pissot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13
Alberta
Boler fiberglass repair

Should have noted that our expert fiberglass repairman was my brother-in-law, Kenny. A true and diligent craftsman!THANKS, Kenny!
Jim Pissot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #40

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pissot View Post
Should have noted that our expert fiberglass repairman was my brother-in-law, Kenny. A true and diligent craftsman!THANKS, Kenny!

Always good to know a good craftsman. One of my secrets on good Craftsmen is that good Craftsmen know good Craftsmen. if I need something done in another area I'll get a hold of somebody in my area who does that who I know doesn't work in that area. But they'll probably know who is good that does work in that area. Also in all if you're crossing trade boundaries again good Craftsmen no good Craftsmen. a good Carpenter probably doesn't do welding but he'll probably know who does a good job in that. and neither one of those probably would do fiberglass work but they probably both would know who does good work in that area.

Tags
scamp