New Scamp Owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
New Scamp Owner!

Literally just came back from purchasing a 2000 Scamp Fifth-wheel. I was so excited that my wife and I literally just sat in it for 3 hours, staring out of the windows at the beautiful...storage unit where she's parked for now. I don't even have a truck to pull it yet, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity when I saw a 19' go up for sale so close to me! Buying a truck will be the next step, along with doing some renovations...but we're so excited to actually own our own Scamp!!! I've been daydreaming about this for a few years...is this real?!?
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Congratulations. May you have many years of enjoyable trips.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
truck to pull

You do not say if you are looking for new or used, but what ever you buy, be sure to have some one lined up to install the hitch before you buy it. There have been problems with some trucks. Part of it is that some trucks just can't support the hitch but also, Scamps are not the usual fifth wheel and some installers do not understand that this is not a real fifth wheel hitch.

P.S.: I like the new Ford Rangers. Enjoy the Scamp.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #4

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
Literally just came back from purchasing a 2000 Scamp Fifth-wheel.... I've been daydreaming about this for a few years...is this real?!?
SO excited for you! I just picked up my 16' standard layout 6 in July, so I know that happy dance/butterfly feeling well!

I prefer Ford trucks because the interiors are more sturdy--but I'm used to hauling to horse events more than camping. You may be easier on vehicles though. Best of luck on your search.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Scamp Owner!

Congratulations, Brett!

Scamp 19’s come with one of two factory suspension heights, standard or raised (3” lift). That allows them to fit trucks with different cargo bed rail heights. Most newer full-size trucks and even some mid-sized trucks require the raised suspension so the loft can clear the pickup bed when towing level.

You will want to determine which yours has by inspecting the axle mount to see if there’s a spacer block between the axle and the main frame rails. Once you know which you have, a call to Scamp will tell you the range of bed rail heights suitable for your trailer. Take a tape measure with you as you shop for a truck.

What size wheels does your Scamp have? In my opinion the minimum size should be 14” with load range D tires, but it wasn’t always so. Check tire date codes.

I hear you about just sitting in the Scamp. Shortly after we got ours a student intern took over our guest room/home office for a semester. It was a great excuse to set up shop in the Scamp!

Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp