Question on 13' Scamp Big Bed Deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Question on 13' Scamp Big Bed Deluxe

Hello,
Is it possible to have part of the bed made up and there be an extra 20 inches or so not made up so that it can serve as a dinette?
It seems that the table is in two parts if I'm understanding the design correctly.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Hello,
Is it possible to have part of the bed made up and there be an extra 20 inches or so not made up so that it can serve as a dinette?
It seems that the table is in two parts if I'm understanding the design correctly.
Mine will do exactly that, since I built the wraparound couch option.
It not only offered much more storage and more comfortable seating, it also offers a full 34" single bed while leaving the table up,...
The bridge has a hinged section at the back which slides forward to make the bed.
The table is 20"X30" which provides the filler for the fullsized bed.
It also swivels when in place to provide excellent access and versatility.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic010.JPG   scamp pictures 020.jpg  

scamp pictures 012.jpg   b002.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thank you floyd for the photos. That does look ideal!
I'm waffling back and forth between the 13' deluxe and the 16' deluxe.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thank you floyd for the photos. That does look ideal!
I'm waffling back and forth between the 13' deluxe and the 16' deluxe.
Of course that is a personal decision, but we have owmed our 13 for 15 years often spending months at a time in it, and we still love it and have not considered trading for anything larger.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

California
Registry
I prefer the 13', as I have a 13' now. But it's without a bath/shower, A/C and heat....so I started thinking of a new one with all the upgrades.
Then adding a front bath will take the sofa area which is why I started thinking about the 16' side dinette version.
I probably can't make a wrong decision as I'd be happy with either. I just think I would prefer to tow something more light weight.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Mod plus Mod = bed with table

Hi - I'll be posting my first mod pics later this week. Basically I combined the two mods shown here (one from this site) by making the extra plywood bed support into a sliding desk. My preference would be the method shown in picture, and there is a good YouTube video

I love the slide out table in Gypsy Wagon - integrated into bed platform - but can't afford the weight and don't have skill (yet).

Using materials on hand and DH tools (it was hard for him to share) I created side rails for table pull-out under the bed support.

Good luck with your project. Where there is a will there is a way!

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp mod posted by mmcwhort_2014.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Not exactly what you were asking, but this is what we did with our 13’ large bed, to be ble to have a large or small table, and not having to store the extra wooden filler base for the bed.
Dave & Paula
Attached Images

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #8

California
Registry
Thank you SandyNorthFL and David B. I appreciate the photos and video.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

California
Registry
Still hauling my 13' Standard around. I sure do love it. I might have to take down my WTB Deluxe w/bath ad.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Wrap around couch

Floyd,

You may have seen my recent submission of a desk/table for the Scamp 13 so I can move the bedding to the back and still have my tea while on the computer in the morning. I like your idea even more. When I get up the energy and the weather becomes more reliable (I have no garage or carport in my mobile home space), I will copy your set up.

Thanks,
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Mine will do exactly that, since I built the wraparound couch option.
It not only offered much more storage and more comfortable seating, it also offers a full 34" single bed while leaving the table up,...
The bridge has a hinged section at the back which slides forward to make the bed.
The table is 20"X30" which provides the filler for the fullsized bed.
It also swivels when in place to provide excellent access and versatility.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #11

California
Registry
Just to update this thread, I shopped and shopped looking for a pre-owned Scamp that had the bathroom/shower, A/C, and heater that was close to me.

I didn't find one that caught my eye until I found this Casita Independence. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Casita as I'm more familiar with Scamp, but I liked what this offered. Lots of customization, including solar and a generator plus all the other items on my wish list. The ad is still up:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-gypsy”-sale-0

I am keeping my 13' Scamp as well. I have the room to store it and it's sentimental, plus, there may be times, I want a lighter weight option for a quick trip to the beach.

I pick up the Casita in a few hours.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice catch, Lisa! The twin beds should be very comfortable for you and your mother. Will you still be towing with your Sprinter?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

California
Registry
Thank you Jon, I'll be towing with either the Sprinter or the BMW X5 seen a couple of posts up. The BMW can actually tow more at 6,000 pounds vs 5,000 of the Sprinter.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Just to update this thread, I shopped and shopped looking for a pre-owned Scamp that had the bathroom/shower, A/C, and heater that was close to me.

I am keeping my 13' Scamp as well. I have the room to store it and it's sentimental, plus, there may be times, I want a lighter weight option for a quick trip to the beach.

I pick up the Casita in a few hours.
Nice move! When you have the space and budget, sometimes, TWO FG trailers is really the best option!

I tend to take my Trillium 1300 on solo trips, and the Escape 19 on big trips. Works well for us!

Thats a VERY NICE Casita there! Love the improvements/upgrades!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thank you Jon, I'll be towing with either the Sprinter or the BMW X5 seen a couple of posts up. The BMW can actually tow more at 6,000 pounds vs 5,000 of the Sprinter.
I missed that. Sweet! Much more comfortable than the van I’m sure.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Thats a VERY NICE Casita there! Love the improvements/upgrades!
Thank you for your comment thrifty bill.
I was beginning to wonder how many folks have two different sized travel trailers.
I consider this new-to-me Casita the ultimate (for a small trailer), in earthquake preparedness out here in So. Calif. it's something we worry about.
I love the chrome handles instead of the push buttons. Plus it's Poplar wood cabinets. So much attention to detail on the improvements that I loved it straight away.

Jon, yes the BMW is more comfortable, but it's a trade-off, the view from the Sprinter is nicer as it sits up high and has a huge front wind shield.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #17

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
Front table addition in 13’

I leave my bed up at all times, but I sorely missed having a useable table or work surface in bad weather. I settled on a post type gaucho bed/table installation in front of the couch. You will need to offset it a bit because I have a center metal support which runs under the floor from back to front. I also compensated for adequate room to maneuver around it or standing up with it in place. I used an 18” precut solid wooden disk from Lowe’s for my tabletop. I installed the flush mounting end into the floor, so there is nothing to trip over when it is put away. It’s very handy when I want to cook or work on a craft project, since I do camp year round.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp