Closet shelves in 13 ft scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Jiggs
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Closet shelves in 13 ft scamp

I would like to put some sort of shelves in the closet of my little 1979 Scamp. I also have a 1986 19 ft Scamp and would like to do the same. Any ideas? Pictures would be great.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Rounded shelves

Mine is on a rounded corner and a 16’ but it may be the same procedure. I cut corrugated cardboard patterns, then plywood shelves. Used an un-cemented pvc pipe frame to hold them up. The shelf standards on the edge keep them from bowing.
Attached Thumbnails
46 SHELVES 2.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I am assuming that you are putting shelves in a Standard Scamp with a fiberglass closet/cabinet.
If you use a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood, you could drill through the side of the cabinet and screw the shelf in place, using snap caps for cosmetic reasons.
This same method could be used by screwing in 1X2 oak strips as shelf supports and then using luan shelves placed on the strips.
This would allow shelves to be adjustable.

Another method could be as simple as using small machine screws, bolted through the sides and covered with snap caps making "pins" on the inside similar to kitchen cabinet shelves. The threads could be covered with bits of snug fitting tygon tubing.

You could simply glue 1X2 pine strips vertically in the corners, cut to shelf height, place the shelf... then place 4 more strips on top of that shelf and place the next shelf.

You could even place two wood strips all the way up on the back corners and install two shelf brackets similar to the ones below , making them completely adjustable...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 86 scamp 13’
California
I am remodeling my 13’ scamp at the moment and will most likely go with shelf standards. It seems like they would be easy to install with just some rivers through the fiberglass sides of the closet. Might be a little hard to get them perfectly installed but they’re very easy to adjust and very light weight. Just throw a shelf onto them and you’re good to go.

I am not sure if they’ll move around more than others but I believe I saw someone jam a shelf clip on top of the shelf to keep them locked in place while driving. I can’t seem to find a picture of it but it was basically an upside down shelf clip.

https://woodworker.com/images/ss/853-056.jpg
Mcat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Closet shelves in 13 ft scamp

Build your shelves with a front lip. Keeps stuff from banging against the door and knocking it open.

I found some interlocking plastic bins that fit the space very snugly. Simple and very light. A deep lip keeps contents confined. I made a false floor to set them on. No holes or fiberglass attachments. Eventually I’ll cut a second door to access the wheel well, but for now we haven’t lacked storage.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
For my Trillium closet, I used 1x2 to build side frames, and then cut cabinet grade 1/2 inch plywood for shelves. No screws into the fiberglass.

I used shelf clips with multiple holes in the side frames so shelves are adjustable.

If I was going to do it again, I would have made cardboard templates for each shelf. As it was, I was using left over scrap material for the shelves, so they are not perfect in size.

I detail the process over on my Trillium FB page (see signature).
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
https://www.flickr.com/photos/106277...57667562154669
I went with a system like Floyd shows and it worked out real well. If I want to temporarily remove any of the shelves and brackets it only takes a few minutes.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Mine is on a rounded corner and a 16’ but it may be the same procedure. I cut corrugated cardboard patterns, then plywood shelves. Used an un-cemented pvc pipe frame to hold them up. The shelf standards on the edge keep them from bowing.

I did the same for our 16' Casita. Posted the pix somewhere in the forum. Cardboard pattern then cut luan.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Name: Marcy
California
Cabinet Modification

I have a 13 ft Scamp with the big bed and found the cabinet between the door and the bed was such a waste of space so I built an internal structure and found the perfect plastic bins to create fabulous drawers. I like the drawers better than shelves because I can see what is in the back without taking everything in front out. I called Scamp and had them build a new door for my longer opening. I wrote up instructions on how I went about this and could email it to whoever is interested. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
20190205_113123-001.jpg   20190305_142001-001.jpg  

Marcy on the Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #10

Name: Carter
Trailer: Casita Picked up 12/2016
TN
another solution with plans

How I did it:

Snoopy’s First Owner Mod | twoyanks.com
Old 06-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #11

Name: Rebecca
California
Hi there. I'd love to know more about how you did this.
Rebecca in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp