2017 Scamp 16 floor bounce - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
2017 Scamp 16 floor bounce

We just purchased a 2017 Scamp 16. It’s in like-new condition, stored inside, lightly used. When looking it over prior to purchase, we noticed a clunking noise when walking thru the area over the axle, as if that section of floor wasn’t supported. The PO did say that their Lippert axle was replaced under warranty by a local trailer shop. The camper is now in a storage barn, so I can’t confirm this, but I suspect the replacement axle lacked the angle bracket the supports the floor at mid point. Assuming this is the case, I’m trying to imagine how to fix this. I’m not sure I like the idea of someone welding that close to the wood floor. And I thought I read somewhere that welding could damage the rubber torsion bands.

So, first question: Am I right to be concerned about welding in that area?

Related questions: I assume that much floor movement isn’t a good thing but maybe not a big deal? And if it is a big deal, how might someone add bracing in this area without using the axle as a point of contact?

I tend to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about stuff like this...it could be a long winter!
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Since you live pretty close to the Scamp factory, perhaps a call to them for a possible repair would be useful. They must have authorized the warranty work, so this would seem like a good first step.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

United States
Registry
Factory call

Thanks, I do plan to call them but not until next spring when I’ve had a chance to inspect what’s going on underneath. I’m hoping that some folks here who have done axle replacements can address my questions in the meantime.
St Paul, MN
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
2017 Scamp 16 floor bounce

I wouldn’t wait ‘til spring. Shops tend to get really busy, and so is Scamp. Is there any way you can do some inspection now? Get under the trailer while someone walks around inside to try to isolate the cause.

I’d have to look at mine, but the axle tube has an upward camber and I don’t think the axle tube is attached to anything in the middle. Mine is an older Dexter, but the Lippert should be the same except a 2017 should be a bolted installation rather than welded.

My center drop floor is supported by flat steel bars welded to the frame around the edges. You could have a failed weld somewhere.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

United States
Registry
Axle inspection

We store our Scamp at the Dakota County Fairgrounds, Farmington, MN. Once they put it away for the winter, that’s it, no access until your pull out date.
St Paul, MN
Old 11-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There is a small piece of steel welded to the floor support and to the axle tube. It is not intended to support the floor, but more like acting as a stiffener to prevent a little flex. Look under your trailer and see if it is there.
Maybe the tack weld failed.

All this assumes that that little center piece is the problem, of course inspect everything.
Also the shop may have overlooked that small weld since
your axle is bolted on... so check the bolts while your-a-lookin'.

A local trailer shop would not likely think to add this piece since it is not normal on utility trailers or trailers with more clearance over the axle.

It would be perfectly safe for a competent welder to retack that stiffener or to add one. Especially with a household MIG.
Likely the stiffener is loose at one end and it is then able to "clunk" with minor movement..

Unfortunately Scamp Warranties are only 1 year and not transferable, but they often go beyond the call to make a happy Scamp owner.
Maybe the shop which installed it would do the job as a courtesy since they have already been paid.
At any rate it is in fact no big deal, and can be easily fixed.

The axle housing already acts as a frame member, it is not suspended and is directly attached to the frame at each end.

You could actually simply add a small piece of flat stock attached at each end with self drilling screws, but I recommend tack welding.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

United States
Registry
Axle bracket

Thanks Floyd, I’ll check it out next spring. We’re 175 miles from Backus and 120 miles from where the axle was installed so maybe we’ll find a welding shop here in St Paul.
St Paul, MN

Tags
scamp