2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
zdr

Name: DancingTiger
Trailer: Casita 2009 SD
Texas
2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD

Hi,

We just bought 2009 Casita SD 17', and on the market try to find a towing vehicle for our weekend getaway. The car needs to used for my wife commute, so the MPG and reliability is important, also the size can't too large. I can't think of any car other than 2014 Ford Escape and 2014 new Jeep Cherokee. Here are the their basic information,

Ford Escape:
2.0 L Ecoboost
240 hp @5500 rpm
270 lb-ft @3000 rpm
Towing Capacity: 3500 lb
MPG: 22(city)/30(Hwy)/25(combine)

Jeep Cherokee 2014
3.2 L
270 hp @ 6500 rpm
239 lb-ft @4400 rpm
Towing Capacity: 4500 lb
MPG: 19(city)/28(Hwy)/22(combine)

My Casita has 2600 lb dry weight, I would except around 3000 lb when loaded. I knew Ford escape has been discussed for 23 pages long, and someone has towed 3500 lb travel trailer with escape without any issue. Just Jeep Cherokee has been released, and I am wondering if this is better choice over Ford Escape.

We have tested drive both car, The ford escape seems move quicker than Cherokee. Since Escape has equiped with turbo charger, so sometime I can feel turbo lag, I don't know if someone else has the same feeling as mine. I like the power on Escape but the tow package only come with Class II, on the other hand, Cherokee has Class III option. From safely point of view, looks Cherokee is more secure. We will installed Andersen Weight Distribution and move around 100-200 lb tongue weight forward, would that solve this problem on Escape (just use Class II hitch)?

I know both vehicle are not the best choice as towing vehicle, but we have our constrains, Please help us !!

Thank you !
zdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
If you have not already taken a look check out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html as you will find the advertised 2600 lb the dry weight and not realistic when loaded.

For safety I would also recommend a tow vehicle with a higher tow capacity, 3500 would be really boarder line.

Another option to the vehicles you mention would be a Toyota Highlander

Toyota Highlander 2014
3.5 L v6
270 hp @ 6,200 rpm
248 lb·ft @ 4,700 rpm
Towing Capacity: 5000 lb
MPG: 18.4(city)/27(Hwy)

Just a thought
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Predicted reliability scores from the December 2013 issue of Consumer Reports.
The Cherokee must be a new model because it wasn't listed.
Attached Thumbnails
Small SUVs.jpg   Midsized SUVs.jpg  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The peak torque points between the 2 are very significant. I suspect the Ford would be the better tow rig based on those numbers. The Horsepower numbers are useless since you never drive at that rpm. If they had power charts you could see where the power is at the rpms your driving at. Put an adult in every seat and drive them again is about the best you can do. Can you open the rear door/hatches with the trailer hooked up?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
ZDR,

Out of curiosity I looked at the trailer weight list and found 6 Casita 17s listed with weights at 3500 lbs or greater and at least one with an unbelievable tongue weight approaching 700 lbs.

It certainly is possible to manage the tongue weight more carefully but in general Casita 17s seem to be a little nose heavy.

I will say we towed a Casita 16 and were very happy with the quality of the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
ZDR,

Out of curiosity I looked at the trailer weight list and found 6 Casita 17s listed with weights at 3500 lbs or greater and at least one with an unbelievable tongue weight approaching 700 lbs.
Wow, I am surprised at how heavy they have become.

Our dual axle 23' Airstream has a listed dry weight of 3,500LBS. Tongue weight of 590LBS.

Ray.... thnxs for posting the CR chart. That is good info to know.
Attached Thumbnails
air good IMG_3171.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Consumer Reports has shown the same bias consistently for the last 45years. I can not believe they are still published. In fact they have reported identical cars with different ratings based entirely on the badging.
They have even reported rear drive cars as front drive and many other erroneous reports over the years.
If you choose a car at random,your chances of reliability will be far better than basing the purchase on CR.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
If you have not already taken a look check out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html as you will find the advertised 2600 lb the dry weight and not realistic when loaded.

For safety I would also recommend a tow vehicle with a higher tow capacity, 3500 would be really boarder line.

Another option to the vehicles you mention would be a Toyota Highlander

Toyota Highlander 2014
3.5 L v6
270 hp @ 6,200 rpm
248 lb·ft @ 4,700 rpm
Towing Capacity: 5000 lb
MPG: 18.4(city)/27(Hwy)

Just a thought
Thank you for your suggestion, My wife won't drive the larger vehicle, that's why I only come down these two vehicles.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Thanks, Ray

Interesting Prediction, looks like Japanese's car are winner.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The peak torque points between the 2 are very significant. I suspect the Ford would be the better tow rig based on those numbers. The Horsepower numbers are useless since you never drive at that rpm. If they had power charts you could see where the power is at the rpms your driving at. Put an adult in every seat and drive them again is about the best you can do. Can you open the rear door/hatches with the trailer hooked up?
Yes, you read my mind. I believe more torque will do the better job on towing, just can't convince myself, because it only has 2.0 L and turbo lag seems bothering me. And it reach the 3500 lb borderline which I also worry about. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
ZDR,

It certainly is possible to manage the tongue weight more carefully but in general Casita 17s seem to be a little nose heavy.

I will say we towed a Casita 16 and were very happy with the quality of the trailer.
Since I bought this as used, form vehicle title, it states 2551 lb (dry), so I guess it will around 3000 lb when loaded.

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
As others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about tongue weight even if you end up with 3000 lbs loaded. Most vehicles rated at a tow capacity of 3500 lbs have a 350 lb tongue weight limit - most 17's are over that. I'd also suggest you actually weigh the trailer. It may have been modified, had additional options, etc installed after the title value was set. You also may be underestimating loaded weight. For example, my Escape has a title weight of 2103 lbs; actual weight loaded for a trip with 1/3 fresh water & empty grey & black is 3010 lbs.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
Thanks, Ray

Interesting Prediction, looks like Japanese's car are winner.
Right!...Even when they're not!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its interesting when you compare the stats to recalls. Way too much bias for me.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about tongue weight even if you end up with 3000 lbs loaded. Most vehicles rated at a tow capacity of 3500 lbs have a 350 lb tongue weight limit - most 17's are over that. I'd also suggest you actually weigh the trailer. It may have been modified, had additional options, etc installed after the title value was set. You also may be underestimating loaded weight. For example, my Escape has a title weight of 2103 lbs; actual weight loaded for a trip with 1/3 fresh water & empty grey & black is 3010 lbs.
Wow, this is surprise me, I should find a way measure that. In regards the tongue weight, If I install Weight Distribution Hitch (like Andersen) would that be move some tongue weight to Towing Vehicle? Or I miss-understand how is the WDH works?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Interesting thread , we have an Escape 15A and are contemplating the new Cherokee 2014 , and have ruled out the Ford Escape . We mostly putter around in the mountains , and would not want less than 450/4500 . We are presently towing with a Liberty .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can take the Casita to a scale and weigh it so you have the true weight. Might make the TV decision easier
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Wow, this is surprise me, I should find a way measure that. In regards the tongue weight, If I install Weight Distribution Hitch (like Andersen) would that be move some tongue weight to Towing Vehicle? Or I miss-understand how is the WDH works?
Yes. Our trailer has a travel ready tongue weight of 650lbs.

With a Reese Dual Cam (750lb bars) 200lbs goes to the front axles of the vehicle and 125lbs goes back to the trailer axles. We tow with a mid sized sedan.

Note. Many of us have been following the Andersen since it hit the market. It has many shortcomings. Suggest you go with a traditional WDH.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
A WDH is no substitute for lower hitch weight. If your vehicle can only handle 350 lbs on the tongue, but your trailer is (let's say) 450 lbs tongue weight, and you add a 75 lb. WDH, you now have 525 lbs on the hitch receiver that is designed for 350 lbs. The WDH can distribute some of the load to the front suspension, but the hitch receiver is still overloaded. Could it tear out the sheet metal it's bolted to? Possibly. Could your suspension be damaged? Possibly.

If I read the comments correctly, you seem to have rejected the Highlander as a candidate because of a perception that it is a "larger vehicle." I don't understand that.
The Escape weighs 3500 lb, the HL 3950 lb, the Jeep GC 4550 lb.
GC is the longest of the bunch, has the longest wheelbase, and is the widest. How can the HL be too big if the GC is not?

I think the Escape can be a nice tow vehicle for the right trailer. A 16' Casita would probably be fine. A 17' Casita with front bath, definitely not. The difference lies in the tongue weight, simple as that.

You will be happier in the long run if you start with a vehicle with at least 500 lb tongue capacity. Either the GC or the HL fit the bill. I've towed over 100K miles with my '08 HL and it's done the job well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
zdr

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A WDH is no substitute for lower hitch weight. If your vehicle can only handle 350 lbs on the tongue, but your trailer is (let's say) 450 lbs tongue weight, and you add a 75 lb. WDH, you now have 525 lbs on the hitch receiver that is designed for 350 lbs. The WDH can distribute some of the load to the front suspension, but the hitch receiver is still overloaded. Could it tear out the sheet metal it's bolted to? Possibly. Could your suspension be damaged? Possibly.

If I read the comments correctly, you seem to have rejected the Highlander as a candidate because of a perception that it is a "larger vehicle." I don't understand that.
The Escape weighs 3500 lb, the HL 3950 lb, the Jeep GC 4550 lb.
GC is the longest of the bunch, has the longest wheelbase, and is the widest. How can the HL be too big if the GC is not?

I think the Escape can be a nice tow vehicle for the right trailer. A 16' Casita would probably be fine. A 17' Casita with front bath, definitely not. The difference lies in the tongue weight, simple as that.

You will be happier in the long run if you start with a vehicle with at least 500 lb tongue capacity. Either the GC or the HL fit the bill. I've towed over 100K miles with my '08 HL and it's done the job well.
Sorry, I should say, it's 2014 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee), and the size is much smaller than GC. Here is the link for Jeep Cherokee.

2014 Jeep Cherokee | SUV with 9 Speed Auto Transmission | Jeep

Tags
casita, ford escape