Off season recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Off season recommendations

We are winding down from our first season (17 weeks) in our 2015 Casita Independence. Covered all SW states in the spring and spent summer in MT and WY. Our little trailer has met almost all of our expectations and the practical insights I have gained from reading the different post on this forum have been invaluable and helped me work through many operator error created problems. Thanks for your support!

We live in coastal SC and experience very moderate winters with lows only occasionally dropping below freezing and then for only a week or so in Jan or Feb. As I consider, preparation for this coming winter season I have a couple of questions. Given that we intend to use our trailer just about every month throughout the winter and I have electric service that costs essentially nothing (meter on an outbuilding with base charge each month that I never exceed) would I be overlooking something to proceed as follows?

Keep the trailer plugged in with electric heat to keep base temps above freezing and supplement with LP during coldest weather events and not winterizing/draining any of freshwater systems. We camped in SW and experienced several nights with temps dropping to 26 with no problems.

Leave frig operating on AC rather than turning it off and keeping door open?

I do keep a small dehumidifier operating 24/7 when we are not on the road given that high humidity is a year around reality here.

Thoughts/recommendations or anything else I should consider?
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ace Hardware has their RV Anti-Freeze for $2.99. Right now with their awards card (not a credit card) for $1.99 a gallon.

When you know you're going to be in a freezing environment for a week, I have to ask, WHY take the chance????
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I think you are good with just a few easy precautions.
Leave open any doors on cabinets and storage areas where plumbing goes through those areas so they are exposed to the heat in the cabin.
Leave the bathroom door open.
The only holding tank external to the cabin is the grey tank, so make sure that is drained. A small amount of residual liquid in the bottom of that tank will not cause a problem.
If you are faced with an extended period of temps below the upper 20s, consider using a blowout plug to blow out the supply lines, and add 2 cups of RV antifreeze to the p-traps. That's an easy bit of insurance that should take less than a half hour.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't see a need to leave the refrigerator ON. The cold won't hurt it. But leave the door open a bit.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Place dryer sheets in the cupboards and some in the open area. It keeps the critters out and the trailer smells good in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought mice were attracted to the anti-static feature. Keeps their fur from clinging.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought mice were attracted to the anti-static feature. Keeps their fur from clinging.
Good guess Glenn but it's rabbits
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That must be why I never find rabbits in my laundry room.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

The Bears like that feature.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I always leave our fridge running when storing the trailer if AC is available (I also leave the fridge running year found in our homes). Storage in SC should not be a problem, extended below freezing temperatures are extremely rare in SC. Personally I would just leave a cube heater running at a low setting, say 45-50F.

I generally drain all water tanks but can't imagine you'd have any problem. If you like you can add something to the traps, the only one I would be concerned about would be the shower trap. I would leave cabinet doors and traps open

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
SRF

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
We're winterizing our first camping trailer ever, a Scamp 16", for the Midwest winter. I wonder about protecting against mice? Anything in particular to cover, seal, use steel wool in? Is it really necessary? There is no food or drink inside.
SRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sue,
I dont know about your Scamp. But mine has the front bath. For what ever reason, Scamp didnt see the need to seal around the drain coming out of the shower underneath through the OSB flooring and the black pipe coming off the commode. I was warned about this by another Scamper.

Sure enough, I got under my new Scamp (2010) and saw the raw OSB and the gap around the pipes that would allow rats or anything else to get up in the holes. I bought my own fiberglass resin and some genuine copper scrubber pads. After coating the openings as best I could, I stuffed lots of the copper pads (see link) up in there. Nearly 6 yrs later, I havent had ANY water problems NOR rodents or such like trying to get up between the floor and the shower floor etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copp...+scouring+pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRF View Post
We're winterizing our first camping trailer ever, a Scamp 16", for the Midwest winter. I wonder about protecting against mice? Anything in particular to cover, seal, use steel wool in? Is it really necessary? There is no food or drink inside.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Your tow vehicle is probably a bigger worry than the trailer. When they get in there you've got a war on your hands.

On my trailer I put a piece of aluminum screen over the lower refrigerator vent. I have one unsealed pipe hole through the floor. I sealed that with a stainless steel scrub pad I bought at the supermarket. After 5 winters, no mice. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco