Please Recommend a Wifi Booster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Part of the camping fulltiming life is to get away from all those tech things. You're going to spending a lot of money going into campgrounds and RV resorts that "free WiFi" that you pay a bit more to have it.
Example of what camping should cost you. Earlier this year like Jan, Feb, and Mar we averaged about $7.50 per night for over 90 nights. Get away from the technology and enjoy nature.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I might add that after traveling in the winter for the past 6 years, I'm more interested in meeting up the new friends I've made while camping. February will find me, Anne and at least 6 of our friends in Death Valley. We've come across several other people we met along the way in another campground. What fun.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Byron my wife and do not like Camp Grounds unless,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Same issue Bruce. The local router WiFi or wired cnnection uses it's internal DCHP to assign IP addresses. You can use the default IP in router or assign another. Most home systems and some business systems use the 192.168.1.xxx series of IPs.
: they are free. So we boondock as much as possible, The less we pay goes back into the gas tank so it cuts our costs way down and if we were smart we would put this gas hawg on Propane at 69.9L much better than 1.30.9L.
Sure glad we do not live in Europe where they pay 3 times that per litre.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Personally I look upon technology as an enabler. When you can be gone for most of a year it is a powerful tool on many levels. If you're goal is communication and not streaming movies, campground wi-fi is just fine.

As to security, we've had two credit card issues in 15 years. Both were the result of charges at gas stations or restaurants. Bank of America caught both fraudulent charges in less than 24 hours, crediting my account before I was off the phone. We have never had an issue buying online, making numerous purchases.

We rarely use our debit card, usually to get cash at a Walmart.

The possibility with electronics is clearly huge, we download books, sometimes stream movies, pay bills, write, interact on the internet, read the news, gather information, keep in contact with family and friends.

I know some feel one purpose of RV camping is isolation. Personally just about any form of RVing is isolating, whether you are boondocking or in a campground. The whole process is separating in itself.

There's no need to escape electronics to escape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Part of the camping fulltiming life is to get away from all those tech things. You're going to spending a lot of money going into campgrounds and RV resorts that "free WiFi" that you pay a bit more to have it.
Example of what camping should cost you. Earlier this year like Jan, Feb, and Mar we averaged about $7.50 per night for over 90 nights. Get away from the technology and enjoy nature.
Everyone can and will have a different take on what constitutes "Camping". When we were in our 20's, and standing at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with everything we needed to survive for a week on our backs, the thought of using a trailer was an insult to our camping mentality and would give us cause to consider turning in both our Sierra Club & REI Membership cards should we ever consider using one.

Today we see our FGRV as an opportunity to see and enjoy more of the country, ranging from Yellowstone National Park, to boondocking in the middle of the Desert, to being on the beach in San Diego.

After a full day of enjoying wherever we are located, what we chose to do inside our FGRV, often utilizing many forms of technology, including our computers, televisions, smart phones, tablets, etc., in no way reduces or interferes with our enjoyment of camping and, as mentioned by Norm, in many ways enhances that experience.

In the 1970's my late wife and I full-timed for a year in an Airstream, no ATM's, no cell phones, no computers, no television etc. Technology consisted of a CB radio. We enjoyed that immensely, but today have no desire to return to that more frugal kind of camping any more than I would prefer to be driving the 1951 Pontiac my Dad was driving in our earliest RV'ing experiences. Yep, that's moi in the back seat.

To those that insist that camping requires cutting oneself off from the world and sitting around a fire every night, I wish them well, but it's not appropriate to judge others definition of "Camping" and how to enjoy the lifestyle they choose to follow in their FGRV.

FWIW: Worldwide, by definition "Camping" suggests sleeping outside or in a tent, basically ruling out any use of a trailer.....

camping Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Attached Thumbnails
img036.jpg  
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #26

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Thanks!

Thanks, all. I really mean that. You taught me a lot! I now have on order what I think will work for me. I just want to say that I am used to people getting sideways about my choices. It's no big deal -- and I do believe everyone who gets sideways is honestly trying to help. Most of my friends think I'm dangerously crazy to be doing this at my age, solo, but what I hear is to be cautious. With regard to technology, what I'm hearing is a reminder to live in the moment and to let my surroundings transform me. I appreciate everyone's advice, whether on point or not.

Go in peace. WendyW
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Perhaps some site members that use cell phone links for WiFi will chime in.

Hi,

With the exception of the last three months I've been using my cell phone wifi exclusively for internet for more than a year. I got a deal through AT&T that was cheaper than I previously paid for internet and phone combined, (that included cable which I didn't watch.)

I watch netflix all the time, youtube videos and I'm a photographer and post high resolution photos to my webpage.

Before I did it I asked my phone provider what plans they had and told them what I wanted to use it for. I haven't touched the data really unless I'm driving with gps on for too long.

They told me the biggest consumer of data is gaming and videos. My plan was one of the largest plans they have, (still cheaper than phone and internet separate,) and then they gave me a discount on it, later doubling it too.

Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #28

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
away from home

Quote:
I am guessing that you are asking about WiFi for your computer, not about cell phone service. That said; unless it is wired for WiFi, getting any sort of signal in most campgrounds will be near impossible, especially in the western states where campgrounds tend to be more remote.

Best bet might be to talk with your cell phone service about a data plan that will let you tether your phone to your computer, but be careful, some of those plans can get very expensive.

Perhaps some site members that use cell phone links for WiFi will chime in.

Our usual practice is to reduce WiFi use by about 95% when travelling, and use free WiFi at exotic locations, like McDonalds and Starbucks, when absolutely necessary. This past week, even though WiFi is available in Yosemite Village, our total use for 5 days was zero.
I think we use the internet a lot, personally, and I'm constantly thinking that we should "unplug." However, I have no illusions about the level of control I have over members of my family. Younger generations will actually go through a type of "withdrawal" if you restrict their internet access/use.

That said, I feel it would be great to NOT be so connected. I read books from my phone, like a kindle, and I'm looking forward to unhooking from the internet. I don't know if that'll be possible, but I'm looking for to trying.

Most of that is unrelated to the OP so I'll add that my phone, like many, is capable of producing a wireless access point for anyone that has the password to access the internet via my connection. I don't do that much because I can't control the use of data. I have come to understand that streaming music and videos is the greatest data hog for you data usage. I don't normally stream anything so if I create a wireless access point for myself, it's because I can then use my computer and the attached keyboard to type more freely as I respond to email or read forums like this one. Most of that data is reasonably low so I haven't noticed an impact to my cell/mobile bill.

It is possible to purchase a wireless device that functions like my phone to create a wireless access point that you can control and use while you travel. However, each of these devices require it's own data plan, like an additional phone, and the additional cost isn't justified, in my opinion. I'll just continue using my phone and if I need more data to accommodate my needs, I'll modify the existing data plan accordingly.

This is my plan and obviously this idea may not work well for others. Talk with your wireless carrier for their advice.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
It is possible to purchase a wireless device that functions like my phone to create a wireless access point that you can control and use while you travel. However, each of these devices require it's own data plan, like an additional phone, and the additional cost isn't justified, in my opinion. I'll just continue using my phone and if I need more data to accommodate my needs, I'll modify the existing data plan accordingly.
If you have an unlocked device, straight talk sells data only plans. It requires the purchase of a Sim card and then one of several data plans. About $25 the first month for 1 GB of data which is pricey but theres no contract. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #30

British Columbia
Wifi Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
If you have an unlocked device, straight talk sells data only plans. It requires the purchase of a Sim card and then one of several data plans. About $25 the first month for 1 GB of data which is pricey but theres no contract. Raz
:P. Raz, my wife came back early and she said in the US she used Verizon and actually it worked quite well 90% of the time but there were nights when reception was not there. So she bought a smallish item she would stick out the window and it helped bring in someone else's internet service but when bad we read books.
Canadian Internet is way worse than the USA. McD's was okay if needed for short time while having a snack, also Wal Mart has wifi but only good for about 30 minutes then drops U. I guess they set it up so for emergency systems to help customer service out.
Stude
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #31

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Everyone can and will have a different take on what constitutes "Camping". When we were in our 20's, and standing at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with everything we needed to survive for a week on our backs, the thought of using a trailer was an insult to our camping mentality and would give us cause to consider turning in both our Sierra Club & REI Membership cards should we ever consider using one.

Today we see our FGRV as an opportunity to see and enjoy more of the country, ranging from Yellowstone National Park, to boondocking in the middle of the Desert, to being on the beach in San Diego.

After a full day of enjoying wherever we are located, what we chose to do inside our FGRV, often utilizing many forms of technology, including our computers, televisions, smart phones, tablets, etc., in no way reduces or interferes with our enjoyment of camping and, as mentioned by Norm, in many ways enhances that experience.

In the 1970's my late wife and I full-timed for a year in an Airstream, no ATM's, no cell phones, no computers, no television etc. Technology consisted of a CB radio. We enjoyed that immensely, but today have no desire to return to that more frugal kind of camping any more than I would prefer to be driving the 1951 Pontiac my Dad was driving in our earliest RV'ing experiences. Yep, that's moi in the back seat.

To those that insist that camping requires cutting oneself off from the world and sitting around a fire every night, I wish them well, but it's not appropriate to judge others definition of "Camping" and how to enjoy the lifestyle they choose to follow in their FGRV.

FWIW: Worldwide, by definition "Camping" suggests sleeping outside or in a tent, basically ruling out any use of a trailer.....

camping Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
Thanks for this.

I am not retired. I love camping. In my new job role I'm less anchored to my office and will have the opportunity to, say, take the Burro down to Assateague Island and produce documents there while the ponies wander around my campsite. The phone signal there is terrible, though, and having a gadget that lets me keep work email available to stay connected to my coworkers will be a huge help. So I appreciate the info from this thread!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I spend far too much time on the internet while traveling, posting a daily web page & blog, maintaining a large website, and posting photographs.

I rarely use campground WiFi with the exception when traveling in Canada and during my recent trip to Alaska where Verizon is just starting coverage. The cost of adding Canadian data to either my Verizon or AT&T plan is excessive. I do have to disagree with Peter - I've found the WiFi in most Canadian campgrounds far superior to the WiFi in most US campgrounds. In any case, most of my internet use is either through my unlimited AT&T account (iPhone only, no tethering to a computer) or a Verizon AC791L Jetpack which I use with my laptop, or, through it's WiFi connection, the iPhone or my iPad.

I had the Millenicom plan that provided 20GB of data on the Verizon network until Verizon closed them down. Verizon offered Millenicom users the same (20G for $10.00 more per month ($100.07), my current plan.

The AC791L Jetpack will generally provide a good connection by itself most of the time, however I have an exterior antenna on the trailer (a WireNg Boat antenna) connected to a Wilson Sleek amplifier. Wilson is now selling a newer version of the Sleek as the WeBoost Drive.. Placing the Jetpack in the Sleek cradle increases the range of the device. While I do sometimes end up in areas where there is no Verizon or AT&T coverage, it is rare. On my last long trip (304 days) the longest I was out of Verizon coverage was 4 days.

While I did have much better Verizon coverage than AT&T on my last long trip in 2013, I've found AT&T has improved on my current trip. Still, I have less dropped data connections with Verizon, and generally stronger signal levels. If I was going to choose only one carrier, it would be Verizon. I spend most of my time away from cities and in state & national parks, BLM areas, etc. If I stuck to the interstates & cities, most of the cell providers would do.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #33

British Columbia
Jon we never stay in Camp grounds and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I spend far too much time on the internet while traveling, posting a daily web page & blog, maintaining a large website, and posting photographs.

I rarely use campground WiFi with the exception when traveling in Canada and during my recent trip to Alaska where Verizon is just starting coverage. The cost of adding Canadian data to either my Verizon or AT&T plan is excessive. I do have to disagree with Peter - I've found the WiFi in most Canadian campgrounds far superior to the WiFi in most US campgrounds. In any case, most of my internet use is either through my unlimited AT&T account (iPhone only, no tethering to a computer) or a Verizon AC791L Jetpack which I use with my laptop, or, through it's WiFi connection, the iPhone or my iPad.

I had the Millenicom plan that provided 20GB of data on the Verizon network until Verizon closed them down. Verizon offered Millenicom users the same (20G for $10.00 more per month ($100.07), my current plan.

The AC791L Jetpack will generally provide a good connection by itself most of the time, however I have an exterior antenna on the trailer (a WireNg Boat antenna) connected to a Wilson Sleek amplifier. Wilson is now selling a newer version of the Sleek as the WeBoost Drive.. Placing the Jetpack in the Sleek cradle increases the range of the device. While I do sometimes end up in areas where there is no Verizon or AT&T coverage, it is rare. On my last long trip (304 days) the longest I was out of Verizon coverage was 4 days.

While I did have much better Verizon coverage than AT&T on my last long trip in 2013, I've found AT&T has improved on my current trip. Still, I have less dropped data connections with Verizon, and generally stronger signal levels. If I was going to choose only one carrier, it would be Verizon. I spend most of my time away from cities and in state & national parks, BLM areas, etc. If I stuck to the interstates & cities, most of the cell providers would do.
e find that most of Canada is without good WIFI systems, The USA is much better, cheaper and if in Canada it costs double to triple what it costs for Wifi in the USA.
Stude
Old 11-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #34

Florida
T-mobile offers unlimited data for Netflix, hulu, ... when you have a phone with 6 gigs of data . There phones work in the USA and Canada.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #35

British Columbia
Camping?

I figure anywhere without indoor plumbing and running water is camping even if it is indoors on a wet day, or the sun is to hot. when ever we went to Grandma's house one had to walk 150' to the outhouse and it only had one hole, so sometimes there was a line up.
When ever she wanted more water we would pump like crazy and fill our buckets and fill the wooden barrel she had in the kitchen to full, then we knew we were good for a day or two and could all go for a horseback ride. Only she would come up with something else for us to do like pick up the pine cones? she used them to start her daily fires in the big old wooden stove so would pick till we filled that big pine cone box she also had in the kitchen.
Grandma's had a way of keeping you busy as they knew when you were about to go home as summer was over for you but not for Grandma as she had to do all this work by herself when we were gone.
Stude
Old 11-21-2015, 05:51 AM   #36

Florida
Very refreshing reminder of another time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #37

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
e find that most of Canada is without good WIFI systems, The USA is much better, cheaper and if in Canada it costs double to triple what it costs for Wifi in the USA.
Stude
I traveled this summer in maritime and most camping provide free WIFI and high speed, no matter where we were on the ground.

I watched movies and my local news without problem with my Slingbox.

Occasionally, some camping, we had to get closer to the reception house.

Some other camping, especially in Quebec, provide free high speed WIFI for 1 or 2 hr per day, which was enough for us. If you wanted more you had to connect to the server from the campsite and paid according to the desired package ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya, but that "Wooden Stove" mentioned didn't do so well. I'll bet Grandma had a "Wood Burning" stove.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Everyone can and will have a different take on what constitutes "Camping".
This was a good post Bob, and is very similar to my line of thinking.

When younger I too ridiculed those in RV's while observing them winding down a valley road, as I watched from a mountain top. For me travelling the backcountry was the ultimate in camping, not being stuck in one of those homes on wheels. And to much of a degree, I still agree, as I still enjoy our mult-inight backcountry trips, mostly done by canoe or skis now. For me, it is the ultimate way to give my mind a good rest, just get away from communications with the rest of the world.

But, in order to see more of this continent, an RV for me is the best choice for doing so, and beats the heck outta motels. I like being self-sufficient.

I have yet to do an extended multi-month type trip in an RV, but I SO look forward to doing that in the near future. When I do so, I will want to be connected, as I see this more like travelling, with some camping thrown in. I am not certain whether I will worry about 24/7 connectivity, as I will not be working, and will not be too reliant on having wifi, though I am still interested with an easy to use good solution for getting good reception when I do.

We all approach how we camp differently, and as long as we are getting out and enjoying ourselves, all is good. If that means being able to jump on the FGRV forum after a days mountain bike riding, or phoning the kids while being halfway across the continent, that is great.

And I will always be drawn to having a warm and inviting campfire to sit around. It is part of what I have always been while camping in any form, and will always be into the future.... whenever possible or feasible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #40

British Columbia
U must of gotten a real good pension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I traveled this summer in maritime and most camping provide free WIFI and high speed, no matter where we were on the ground.

I watched movies and my local news without problem with my Slingbox.

Occasionally, some camping, we had to get closer to the reception house.

Some other camping, especially in Quebec, provide free high speed WIFI for 1 or 2 hr per day, which was enough for us. If you wanted more you had to connect to the server from the campsite and paid according to the desired package ...
: we try not to go into Campsites funny we did not see u in NL and PEI? spent some time in both places but more in NS almost 2 weeks in NS, I would live in NS if younger.
Stude

Tags
eco