Question to Casita with A/C owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: in the market
New Mexico
Question to Casita with A/C owners

As a recent convert to FG trailers, I am on the verge of purchasing a 13’ Casita Patriot Deluxe (with shower), new or used, depending on availability. If I had my way, it would have the layout of a Lil’ Snoozy. The rear door and potential use as a toy hauler (bike or bicycle) really appeals to me. Ideally, it would also have a bit more headroom. However, I am 5’8” and expected to shrink, so I think I can deal with it. Overall, I think it is the trailer that will suit me best. I realize that even in this “enlightened” community some may question the feasibility of eventually full timing in such a small rig, but I am very much up to the challenge of down-sizing as well as organizing and packing smart. I feel encumbered by “stuff” am the anti-type of a collector. I would like to condense my belongings to the essential things, which enhance my life and let the rest go. I might miss baking, but perhaps some experiments with a solar oven could cure that.
However, there is one design issue, which I consider a bit more serious. My trailer has to have air-conditioning. I just can’t imagine eventually full timing without the opportunity to occasionally cool off for a few days at a campsite with hookups. While I really like the fact that the air-conditioner for the Casita Patriot does not have to be on the roof, but is installed in the lower half of the rear wall (which has always made much more sense to me), this could mean that the airflow of the unit is potentially blocked by the bed (converted from the dinette) forcing me to have to convert the bed into the dinette each morning. Definitely not my ideal setup. Can any owners comment on that? Thanks in advance.
zer0pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Interesting location. Ours is in the front, curbside, beneath the closet. (Even though ours is a 17 ft., the A/C placement used to be in that position on all the models.) Once upon a time, we had a 16 ft Casita (1989 vintage) and its A/C was in the back window. I prefer being able to look out the window on the back side of the trailer, but I share your concern about the circulation if the A/C is under the bed.

Just about everyone I know uses that under bed space for storage... I am interested in what others have to say about your concern.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Chris check out the ParkLiner. Its 2 feet longer then the 13, a bit wider queen sized bed, side dinette, front shower/toilet(porta pottie) ac unit is built into the dinette, I use a fan under it blowing the air towards the bed. Its not gonna be a meat locker like I want it to be, but it gets comfortable inside when its 95' and humid outside.ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers -

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Interesting about the placement of the A/C. The last 13' Casita Patroit Deluxe I saw was about 3-4 years ago at the Oregon Gathering. The A/C was on the top like the big boys. Wonder if it was an owner mod? If Kathy was still on the forum, we could ask her... but, she hasn't logged in for several years...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am curious where you got the idea that the Patriot AC is installed in the lower back wall?
I have never seen this unless it was modded there by someone looking for a comprimise solution somehow?

That seems like the worst spot possible for a 13' trailer to me too.
There is almost no storage in these trailers to start off with and the main area would be right where the AC you mention is?
Add to that the fact that cold air drops and any AC near the floor is not going to be all that effective already.
Lets say you move it up to the back window. Then you obscure the window and have the AC hanging off the back outside as well as blowing the cold air right on top of you when sleeping. Some like this but many do not.

Then in a 13' trailer you would think it will be easy to overcome the heat due to the small size inside but experience has taught me that this is not that easily done in practice.

I think the practical solution is right on the roof where it is not in the way unless parking in a tight spot.

So where have you seen this AC placement before?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chris,

We had a 1995 Casita 16 and it hada floor mounted air conditioner located under the front closet near the door. I believe it was 6-8,000 btus. Though we avoid extremely hot weather, it was capable of making the Casita very cold. To speed up the cooling process we would often place a small fan in front of the AC to distribute the output.

Our main strategy as virtual full timers is to avoid truly extreme climates, either too hot or too cold. Saying that we now have a Scamp 16 with a 5,000 btu AC mounted at floor level. It's not a blaster like the Casita's bigger AC but definitely adequate to remove the humidity and provide an adequate cooling level.

Our Casita 16 was only 5'10" and I am 6'1" and I easily got used to it though it is also a reason we bought the Scamp. As to re-orging your life and stuff ownership, trailer living has changed our style with respect to stuff. There are a lot of opportunities to add storage ability to the Casita.

When I look at the Casita 13 on the Casita site it appears that the AC unit is at the front of the trailer as it is in the Casita 16 though it may depend on whether you have a front bath or couch. In a 13 I would consider if I wanted to take up volume with the front bath but 13 owners can address that better than me.

As to the bed, we were on the road for 315 straight days and I made up the bed every night. it takes literally no more than 5 minutes. I like it because when we had the bed up all the time it required making it presentable every morning plus it gives the trailer a more open feeling. To enhance this we made a half folding table making the front dinette more comfortable during the day time, many have done this.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #7

I just went at look at the Patriot pics on the Casita Travel Trailer site: Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | The Patriot, Exterior

The standard Patriot has the A/C at the front under the gaucho, centered.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita13.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	64697

The deluxe, it appears it's under the closet, next to the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CasitaDeluxe.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	64696
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
In the slide show at the Casita site I swear the A/C is under the bed...In one picture, a 3/4 view of the stove it appears under the bed and the next picture of the A/C proper, it shows cushions above it.

Ahh, the gaucho version. I was having trouble sorting through the floor plan vs. what I was seeing.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Name: Chris
Trailer: in the market
New Mexico
You are absolutely right, the current Casita Patriot Deluxe has the a/c installed under the wardrobe cabinet in the front. I imagine that it will be somewhat of a challenge to get it to blow towards the bed, since the refrigerator blocks it to a degree, but perhaps that is actually a good thing. I am definitely planning on using the under bed storage area and leave the bed sort of permanently made. Not sure yet what I will do for a table, but I think the fold-down cover from the microwave cabinet might work for one person with some kind of stool. I am looking forward to experimenting with it, after I pick up the unit, which I agreed to purchase today.

Chris
in the 47th state of perpetual sunshine
zer0pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0pi View Post
Not sure yet what I will do for a table, but I think the fold-down cover from the microwave cabinet might work for one person with some kind of stool. I am looking forward to experimenting with it, after I pick up the unit, which I agreed to purchase today.
Cool Beans Chris!

I know some travelers, with similar needs, use a TV tray and just sit on the edge of the bed. One thing nice about this, is you can use that tray outside while sitting in a lawn chair. Portable dining!

Tags
casita