First fiberglass camper Scamp 19 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #41

Name: Juan
Trailer: Scamp
California
Here it is! My rig. 2006 Tundra limited 4x4 2001 pulling a Scamp 19, the rear end of the truck was lowered 2 inches to level the truck and avoid cutting and welding axles on the trailer. It is being hauled with the new style hitch set to the lowest setting and the hitch was installed about 8 inches back from the axle.Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000-01.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	118688
KINETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #42

Name: Debra
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
How do you like the Scamp 5th wheel? I am in the market for one.
GreenGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #43

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Juan,

Thanks for posting a pic of your rig.

Do you carry anything in the bed of the TV in front of the 5th wheel hitch or along the sides in the bed of the truck?

The main reason I have not been considering a 5th wheel is due to lack of cargo space. We like to carry a couple of canopies, a couple of stoves and the usual electrical cables and connectors, tool box and tire jacks, etc.

Your outfit at least seems to have enough room in front for a tool chest across the width of the be, at the very least.

Also, with the 5th wheel hitch so far back do you feel any negative towing effects?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #44

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGirl88 View Post
How do you like the Scamp 5th wheel? I am in the market for one.
Hi, so to be honest I bought it last year in Texas and haven't camped in it just yet. It's coming home to California at the moment it's towing awesome and the truck doesn't even feel it back there because it's so light and stable.

I'll post more about the camping experience after I've used it.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #45

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Juan,

Thanks for posting a pic of your rig.

Do you carry anything in the bed of the TV in front of the 5th wheel hitch or along the sides in the bed of the truck?

The main reason I have not been considering a 5th wheel is due to lack of cargo space. We like to carry a couple of canopies, a couple of stoves and the usual electrical cables and connectors, tool box and tire jacks, etc.

Your outfit at least seems to have enough room in front for a tool chest across the width of the be, at the very least.

Also, with the 5th wheel hitch so far back do you feel any negative towing effects?
Hi Henry,
So I haven't actually taken it camping just yet but I would say there is a good amount of space in the bed if used correctly. I'm considering a retractable tonneau cover or just installing my toolbox near the cab. I'm also considering rebuilding a single, larger box on the trailer that replaced the two side boxes and covers the propane tanks with better organization options.

Along the sides of the bed, there is some space but you have to be careful not to put anything high enough to interfere with the swing of the hitch path (see picture, not my rig in this picture but it might give you an idea of what I'm talking about regarding the hitch swing path).

Along the back, there is a good amount of space but you also have to be careful along the hitch path.

Based on what you said I think there's enough space in the bed for your needs but you may have to play with it a bit.

I will also say that this being a full size truck with a large cab also helps, I can't imagine the space problems for extra stuff with a smaller truck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16500.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	118735
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #46

Tennessee
This is the first time I have seen a picture of the hitch of the Scamp 5th wheel. Very different from the other type of 5th wheel hitch.

Thanks again Juan.

Looking forward to your future experiences with your rig, I hope you continue to post.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:25 AM   #47

California
Quote:
This is the first time I have seen a picture of the hitch of the Scamp 5th wheel. Very different from the other type of 5th wheel hitch.

Thanks again Juan.

Looking forward to your future experiences with your rig, I hope you continue to post.
Yeah the previous picture is the old style apparently. Here's a picture of the one I'm using. I just don't have pictures of the trailer connected to the current hitch yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180421_185111.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	118736
Old 05-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #48

Tennessee
This new one seems like a better way to hitch up.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #49

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
This new one seems like a better way to hitch up.
Yes, it is better. Most importantly it can be easily removed when not towing, to clear the bed. On the other hand it is heavier than the old style, it it rated for something like 15000 lbs trailers.

One problem that bugged me was the play in the four pins that connect it to the rails. When unhooked, the hitch rattles on every rod bump. I replaced those pins with 1/2 inch bolts and modified some large steel washers to eliminate all play. I'll look for some pictures of this.

Congratulations, Juan, on getting the Scamp home!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just a caution regarding cargo in the bed when towing a fifth-wheel style trailer. Wind buffeting can do some crazy and unexpected things. Make sure whatever you put in there is well-secured, with no loose strap ends.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #51

Tennessee
Rattling is the thing that bugs me about towing a trailer. This Casita is our first and only trailer thus far.

I distinctly remember the first time we pulled into a campground. We had been driving with the windows up and the AC going in the Tundra. All was right with the world.

When we pulled into the campground I rolled down the window to talk to the guard and this terrible clanging and clacking ensued. I looked around, thinking the noise was from.. was from...that noise is...(I cannot repeat the next few words) it's us!

Now I just always drive with the windows rolled up and when I drive though a quiet neighborhood I feel I should have a sign to hold up to the window saying I'm sorry for the auditory violence...
Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #52

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Yes, it is better. Most importantly it can be easily removed when not towing, to clear the bed. On the other hand it is heavier than the old style, it it rated for something like 15000 lbs trailers.

One problem that bugged me was the play in the four pins that connect it to the rails. When unhooked, the hitch rattles on every rod bump. I replaced those pins with 1/2 inch bolts and modified some large steel washers to eliminate all play. I'll look for some pictures of this.

Congratulations, Juan, on getting the Scamp home!
Thanks Paul! I've got some bolts in there now but I'm going to play with pins and rubber rail pads to see if I can get it to not rattle while using pins. I'd like to use pins so I don't need tools to install it. I'll post more pictures when I start playing around with that.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #53

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just a caution regarding cargo in the bed when towing a fifth-wheel style trailer. Wind buffeting can do some crazy and unexpected things. Make sure whatever you put in there is well-secured, with no loose strap ends.
Great to know. Thanks Jon!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #54

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETA View Post
Thanks Paul! I've got some bolts in there now but I'm going to play with pins and rubber rail pads to see if I can get it to not rattle while using pins. I'd like to use pins so I don't need tools to install it. I'll post more pictures when I start playing around with that.
I tried bending the standard pins, so they would be inserted one way and then turned to bias the hitch down to the rails, but that did not work too well. The bolts and modified washers pull the hitch down (they end up flexing slightly), and no rattle. Sometimes I leave the hitch in the bed until I really need the space, so it does not get removed very often.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp