Downside of Scamp 19' 5er? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #21

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
We were thinking of getting a Scamp 5er for a long time, we even got a new Tacoma to tow it with. Scamp insists that the Tacoma is the perfect tow vehicle. But we saw a for sale ad of someone selling his 5er because he heard about warranty issues with the Tacoma. We then talked to Toyota and they told us in no uncertain terms that any incident involving towing of a "5th wheel" of any kind would invalidate our warranty. I wouldn't worry about it if our Tacoma was used, but we weren't willing to take the risk with a new vehicle. We ended up getting a Casita 17' instead and so far are really happy with it.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
You miss my point, Bill. A Scamp 19 May connect to a ball in the truck bed, but unless you modify the connection point from a coupler to a kingpin it is NOT and NEVER will be a 5th wheel. Referring to a Scamp 19 as a 5th wheel does not make it a 5th wheel. As I stated earlier, the Scamp 19 is just that, it is not a Scamp “5er.” That is a misnomer, just like referring to a sedan as a pickup......it isn’t a pickup, it’s a sedan even if you remove the trunk lid so that the “cargo” area is open.
You are correct about the definition of a "5th wheel" although the term itself is a misnomer and from a time when trucks had 4 wheels, however, calling it a "5er" is open to opinion, was an El Camino a pickup? How about a Subaru Brat? A Cadillac flower car??
I have seen an actual 5th wheel Scamp, more of an unnecessary expense than an improvement. What ever it is called, no one is likely to hook the one to the other.

I like "Duck Neck" for the small goose neck hitch?
How about "5th Wheel Jr." for the RV version of the 5th wheel hitch so the over the road truckers don't get confused?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quoting the great Jon Cryer from 2 1/2 Men
QUOTE " A distinction without a difference "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Carl, we get your point. You have sufficiently beaten it to death. There are plenty of good reasons people will continue to call the Scamp a 5th wheel. Life is short.
Tom, perhaps YOU get my point, but obviously “we” don’t get my point. There are Scamp 19 owners here who still think they have a 5th wheel, and another currently ongoing thread with a Scamp 19 pictured that has been modified to a bumper pull. The area below the loft has been converted to a storage area and the owner refers to it as a Scamp 5th wheel. Hey, if that’s a 5th wheel, to all the Scamp 13 owners who have expressed interest in a 13 foot 5th wheel, congratulations......you apparently already have what a 13 foot 5th wheel. I think you are using poetic license or being optimistic when you state “WE get your point.”

There was a member of this forum (Jared J) a few years back who did have a Scamp 5th wheel; he did change out the coupler for a pin box. I think he has gone inactive or maybe sold his trailer.

If there are lots of good reasons people will continue to call the 19 a 5er, perhaps you can enlighten me by listing 3 GOOD reasons. I can’t think of even 1. And Floyd, I personally wouldn’t call an El Camino a pickup. I try to avoid saying stuff that would give others the impression that I do not know what I am talking about. But that’s my approach.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
We were thinking of getting a Scamp 5er for a long time, we even got a new Tacoma to tow it with. Scamp insists that the Tacoma is the perfect tow vehicle. But we saw a for sale ad of someone selling his 5er because he heard about warranty issues with the Tacoma. We then talked to Toyota and they told us in no uncertain terms that any incident involving towing of a "5th wheel" of any kind would invalidate our warranty. I wouldn't worry about it if our Tacoma was used, but we weren't willing to take the risk with a new vehicle. We ended up getting a Casita 17' instead and so far are really happy with it.
Would you mind clarifying who at Toyota gave you this info? Thanks.

FWIW, my dealer’s Service Department transferred the hitch from our 05 Tacoma to the 12 as part of the deal when we traded a few years back. And Toyota had previously replaced the 05’s rear differential under warranty without questioning the obvious hitch in the bed. I’m not doubting your statement but wonder if that may have been your local dealer’s position or if this was something from corporate.

And Carl, I do know I don’t have a fifth wheel nor is it a true gooseneck (got one of those on the farm too). So what should it be called?
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #26

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Tom, perhaps YOU get my point, but obviously “we” don’t get my point. There are Scamp 19 owners here who still think they have a 5th wheel, and another currently ongoing thread with a Scamp 19 pictured that has been modified to a bumper pull. The area below the loft has been converted to a storage area and the owner refers to it as a Scamp 5th wheel. Hey, if that’s a 5th wheel, to all the Scamp 13 owners who have expressed interest in a 13 foot 5th wheel, congratulations......you apparently already have what a 13 foot 5th wheel. I think you are using poetic license or being optimistic when you state “WE get your point.”

There was a member of this forum (Jared J) a few years back who did have a Scamp 5th wheel; he did change out the coupler for a pin box. I think he has gone inactive or maybe sold his trailer.
Carl , I get your point if that makes you feel better !

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 01-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Actually, I never use any grease on my “real” 5th wheel because I have a graphite impregnated disc on the kingpin which precludes the necessity for grease, and my real 5th wheel hitch does not weigh much more than the hitch I used when I had my Scamp 19. Additionally, my real 5th wheel hitch separates into 2 pieces so I can easily install and remove it, which I couldn’t do with my Scamp proprietary hitch. I find it easier to hook up a “real” 5th wheel because it only has to be aligned in one plane (side-to-side) rather than two planes (side-to-side AND front to back because you “drive” onto the kingpin rather than having to drop the coupler onto a ball. I also appreciate not having the clanking of safety chains in the bed of the truck.
Yes, it is all about terminology and granted the Scamp 19’s hitch works fine, but the Scamp 19 is NOT a 5th wheel, even though it’s towing characteristics are like those of a 5th wheel......very stable and no sway.
One problem solved...
Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Quoting the great Jon Cryer from 2 1/2 Men
QUOTE " A distinction without a difference "
Yep. I love it when someone quotes a character from some mindless show from the boob tube. But glad you brought it up as there are people who are totally incapable of distinguishing the difference in any circumstance.....
Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #29

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Yep. I love it when someone quotes a character from some mindless show from the boob tube. But glad you brought it up as there are people who are totally incapable of distinguishing the difference in any circumstance.....
I am glad that you appreciate my post and quote . Since this whole thread has more or less turned into a mindless discussion I though my quote was appropriate . I am sure you and I will end up diametrically opposed on many issues in the future and I probably will not be able to distinguish your point but until then adios.

GOD BLESS
STEVE D
Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #30

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One problem solved...
Yeah, exactly how I solved it because Scamp was to [#€/\P to spend the extra $2 to put coiled cables rather than chains in it. Then again, they didn’t put in the effort to finish the wiring so that the trailer brakes would actually work or to install the Fantastic fans with butyl tape so that they wouldn’t leak. Just some of the reasons that the day I said goodbye to my Scamp 19 parting was NOT sweet sorrow.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That reminds me of the time I ordered eggs, bacon and hash browns and I was served eggs, bacon and deep-fried potato cubes. When I complained that those cubes were not hash browns, the waitress said, "well, we call them hash browns".
I said, "you can call a hamburger a T-bone, but that doesn't make it a T-bone".
Stayed away from that pub for about six years. Still haven't ordered the "hash browns".
Yeah, but you can make a hamburger out of a T-bone.
You mean these hash browns?...

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #32

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am glad that you appreciate my post and quote . Since this whole thread has more or less turned into a mindless discussion I though my quote was appropriate . I am sure you and I will end up diametrically opposed on many issues in the future and I probably will not be able to distinguish your point but until then adios.

GOD BLESS
STEVE D
God Bless you too.

And I wouldn’t have any expectation that you would be able to distinguish my point. And to set the record straight, it doesn’t matter to me if I am diametrically opposed to someone else. It happens, and in some cases, it actually pleases me.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

They were significantly larger than those, I think.
Think square French fries.
But, I wouldn't call those hash browns either.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #34

Florida
Registry
Quote:

Floyd.....the real question is why do they call it a HAMburger when it is made out of beef?
And those look like hash whites, not browns!

OMG, we have gotten way off topic!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Floyd.....the real question is why do they call it a HAMburger when it is made out of beef?

OMG, we have gotten way off topic!
Of a bigger concern, why is Floyd posting something that says “Southern Style”?
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #36

NW Wisconsin
Quote:

I have to agree with Glenn , cubed french fried potatoes are NOT hashbrowns .
If you look at the bag it says "southern style hashbrowns which in itself is a contradiction in terms or a bold faced lie.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #37

These will do, as long as there are onion bits.
Rachael Ray's Pub Hash Browns with Horseradish Sauce | Recipe - ABC News
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 6.29.42 PM.png  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #38

Back to the topic of "Downside of a Scamp 19".
You have to look at it.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
..."Boob tube" coming from a time when televisions had CRTs, as distinguished from a modern TV which should now be called ironically a "flat lcd"?!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #40

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Well, wasn't that fun? Okay...the Scamp 19 isn't a 5th wheel, got it.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled forum post.

Thanks all for your insights and experiences both good and bad. Please feel free to continue directly answering my original post, now that I have been thoroughly washed and sanitized in the proper vernacular.

Tags
scamp