Parkliner or Eggcamper? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
If we lived in our camper instead of just use it for occasional recreational outings, I might feel differently about this, but the window issue really seems to me to be a lot to do about nothing, (or at least nothing much). We go camping to enjoy the outdoors, not sit inside and look out. And as far as a window over the bed, I don't understand that, because that's exactly where the EggCamper has the windows! A large one over the head and another one over the foot of the bed. They don't have one in the back, but in almost all the state park sites that we have seen, that would open up to nothing but a row of bushes. They do have another window at the side dinette, where you can look out as you eat or sit at the table.
Well Ray maybe thats why there are different trailers with different features to choose from?

I am glad that my camping style is different than yours too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
No two people are alike, neither are their trailers.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
[Quote:]They don't have one in the back, but in almost all the state park sites that we have seen, that would open up to nothing but a row of bushes.[Unquote:]

."
Like people and trailers no two parks are the same..... no bushes blocking my view out the back window this past week
Attached Thumbnails
photo (12).jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
That's the views my wife makes me shoot for.
You aren't set up on a boat ramp are you?...................LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Windows

The Eggcamper is a trailer without front or back windows, truly amazing to me. As Carol has shown there are plenty of views out the front and/or back. As for not having windows providing privacy, one can install curtains.

The other reason for windows is that it provides a level of spaciousness beyond the dimensions of the trailer.

We attended a Texas Rally, mostly Casitas. On show and tell day most Casita owner who came into our Scamp wanted to know how big our Scamp was. The fact that our trailer has windows at both ends and the Casita does not have front windows gives the feeling of more space (as well the wider inside aisle adds to it.)

Lastly, more windows provide for more ventilation. Of course I wish our front window opened as well.

Obviously the EggCamper could have rear windows.
Attached Thumbnails
20130517_121942.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
That's the views my wife makes me shoot for.
You aren't set up on a boat ramp are you?...................LOL
LOL nope - I could have parked it so the door was out to the water but I was hosting a dinner party for 15 of my family on the Saturday night and parking it that way gave me more space for the tables as well as more privacy.

Norm whats a Ecape? if you meant Escape they do indeed have big windows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #47

Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Norm meant to say Eggcamper does not have front or rear window vs Escape, which does.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #48

Florida
Corrected thanks/

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #49

Pennsylvania
Registry
The Eggcamper has the vertical belt that Scamps and Casitas have horizontal, so the window could only be on 1/2 the shell side and there is too much curvature. I contemplated installing a round opening port hole but opted for the opening door window instead.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #50

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Eggcamper has the vertical belt that Scamps and Casitas have horizontal, so the window could only be on 1/2 the shell side and there is too much curvature. I contemplated installing a round opening port hole but opted for the opening door window instead.
Well the Burro' have the same beltline as the EggCamper and do have windows Front and Back so it may have been a design decision I think?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Like others, I too like lots of window area. Somewhat for ventilation, but I think some worry too much. I have 5 operating windows, and at the most ever 3 were cracked. It doesn't take much open window area with the Maxx Fan running.

Like Norm alluded to, it is the feeling of being more spacious, and letting in light that matters most to me. This really does make it feel larger inside. A psychological factor only, for certain, but one that makes its use more enjoyable for me.

While being able to see outside is nice, for us it matters not so much, as we are usually found outside for most of the daylight hours.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #52

Florida
Jim
Like you we are mostly outside though on occasion one is inside during those really bad weather days. I know Ginny likes windows.

Usually we're out after breakfast and back by the late afternoon or eveming.

I tried to get a front opening window from Scamp but apparently no longer available.

Harley suggested turning on the fan for ventilation and we do but prefer no fan.

I like all the fiberglass trailers and think any of them are excellent for traveling about. To me it's the trip not the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
It might be time to close this discussion, or at least to get back on subject. It seems to have turned mainly into attacking the other brands of trailers - myself included in the offenders.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #54

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Well, windows are an important part of the discussion, so don't close it just because of that. Gail & I are torn between the two as well. I talked to her about windows this morning. I don't like the seam on the Egg Camper and the fact it doesn't have a queen size bed, but I sure do like that gel coat on the inside. The other thing is going without propane stuff. Interesting idea, and probably one I could get used to. But what kind of QUIET generator would I need to get if we were off grid in an Egg Camper?!? The only generator I have now is an 8000W Generac that is not terribly loud, but a bit much to haul around for camping. We keep it at home for the relatively frequent power outages we get. Although since we bought it a couple years ago, there haven't been any long outages! That's okay, maybe us buying it did that...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #55

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I like all the fiberglass trailers and think any of them are excellent for traveling about. To me it's the trip not the trailer.
The reality is that the various fiberglass trailers have different characteistics, each fitting different customer needs.

I'm certain I would be happy in any of them. They differentiate themselves from other trailers by their common characteristic, fiberglass, that greatly contributes to their longevity and longterm value.

There are differences between them, and the question was about those differences. In general the postives of all the fiberglass trailers overwhelms their individual differences and weaknesses.

I own a Scamp because we can tow it, it was the right price, and easily meets the needs of nearly continuous travel when modified.

I understand the statement about feeling cramped, it's particularly common among our friends "You spent 315 days in THAT!". They don't understand the elation, the high we're on, when we're traveling in our Scamp 16.

If I read others correctly, people like Bryon and Floyd, have similar feelings in their Scamp 13s. Actually there has never been a moment when we have felt cramped, maybe because we now have the entire world open to us.

The brilliance of fiberglass is that it gives us all a rugged, protected environment to travel at relatively low cost. We all have much in common. Safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #56

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Frank, I purchased a Yamaha EF2400ISHC this spring for my ParkLiner. Yes I probably could have gotten away with either the Honda or Yamaha 2000 model, since my current air conditioner is only pulling around 515 watts...but if I upgrade to the 8000 btu model thats in my bedroom window, its pulling 750 watts which would put the 2000 watt generator(thats surge, running is 1600 watts) at almost half its capacity and even with the quiet generators the larger the load the louder they get. I can run my microwave at the same time as the ac is on so so I like double duty.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #57

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
A lot of campgrounds don't allow the use of generators after a certain time, no matter how quiet they are. I'd do a check of the types of places you think you would like to visit and see if they usually have electric power. If they don't, I don't think I'd go with the EggCamper, and I don't think the propane factory option is even offered any more.

I'm sorry to say this because for us, the EggCamper is perfect, but for where we live, and the types of places we visit, the lack of propane isn't an issue. On one of our first camping trips, after buying the EggCamper, we were talking to an owner of a fifth-wheel. He had been camping in it for over five years and said he had never even filled his propane bottles; he always used electricity. (I wonder if he had the, usually standard, propane cook-top?)
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #58

New York
That's interesting Deryk, and a good recommendation. At least we could pick up one of those without breaking the bank. We would need one for the Egg Camper, not so much for the ParkLiner. We probably won't make a decision until we see one or both these eggs. Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #59

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Right on Norm I'm with you, I've had several different makes of trailers and have enjoyed them all.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #60

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
A lot of campgrounds don't allow the use of generators after a certain time, no matter how quiet they are. I'd do a check of the types of places you think you would like to visit and see if they usually have electric power. If they don't, I don't think I'd go with the EggCamper, and I don't think the propane factory option is even offered any more.

I'm sorry to say this because for us, the EggCamper is perfect, but for where we live, and the types of places we visit, the lack of propane isn't an issue. On one of our first camping trips, after buying the EggCamper, we were talking to an owner of a fifth-wheel. He had been camping in it for over five years and said he had never even filled his propane bottles; he always used electricity. (I wonder if he had the, usually standard, propane cook-top?)
The Egg Camper has a 12V frig though doesn't it? Really, any campground we're in could have power or not, no big deal. We camped in tents for 40 years, and are prepared to camp without power. We have a number of propane camp accessories and can get by fine as long as we have a frig. Heck, we have great coolers, don't even really need a frig. I don't think it's so much where you camp, as how flexible you are as a camper. We've been camping a long time, and just got our first trailer two years ago. It's mostly the bed we're concerned about!

Frank

Tags
eggcamper, parkliner