17 foot Casita vs Escape - need comparison - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Texas
17 foot Casita vs Escape - need comparison

I live in Texas, the home state of Casita Trailers. I am going to drive a couple of hours tomorrow to look at a barely used one that has had several third party modifications made to it. The asking price however, is within 10% of the price new.

In looking at various options, Escape trailers came up and their quality might even be considered better than Casita in the reviews I read. However, everyone says their price puts them out of reach compared to the Casita. I don't understand this if comparing new to new. While I have not done a detailed side-by-side comparison, the 17 foot Escape described and priced on the Escape website did not look more than about $1500 higher than a new Casita with all options included. The Escape seemed to have many things listed as "standard" that are added option costs on the Casita.

Does anyone know a link to a side-by-side comparison of these two trailers? Escape website says they have room on a trailer delivering to Texas in November. Maybe this is where the added cost is?

Any thoughts, suggestions or help would be appreciated.
45er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Are you including the current 25%+ currency difference between CDN$ & USD$, it's basically about that much discount on CDN prices.

FWIW: Due in part to the above, I thought that Escape was sold out for the next year or better. The Website does not indicate that, but it is also 7 month's out of date.

Which is to say, wanting an Escape, may be about as close as you can get without a long wait.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45er View Post
Escape website says they have room on a trailer delivering to Texas in November.
That is pretty odd as other reports here have Escape not taking any orders until further notice. I do not know about a price comparision, but I am a bird-in- hand kind of fellow.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
With the Canadian dollar exchange rate, the prices are quite close (Casita about a thousand or so less). However, all of the production slots for 2016 are filled. In other words, the soonest you could get an Escape trailer would be 2017. They are not even taking orders until early 2016, and that will be for the 2017 production schedule.

They perhaps have a slot on their delivery truck for the 2015s that are still being produced, but if you look at the Production Schedule, all 2016 slots are filled - nothing available until 2017. I have heard that if you have one on order, it is possible to get an earlier delivery if someone cancels their order, but that is strictly a gamble.

I assume this is helping Casita and Scamp in their sales, and also contributing to the higher than expected resale on used units.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Texas
Well that settles it then! Looks like a Casita might be in my future. Now, I'm ignorant of the used market in fiberglas RV's. Assuming the used 2014 model I'm going to look at tomorrow is as the seller describes and has had about $1500 worth of relatively useful "add on" aftermarket work done to it [Casita Hitch Receiver, Casita Open Tank Utility Platform, Skin Kit Upgrade for Open Tank Utility Platform, Aluminum Carrier and a Black Diamond aluminum storage trunk], would you consider buying the used one if it was only $1400 less than a brand spanking new one without the aftermarket add-ons? Both the used and new models are identical with respect to Casita options.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here's a link to the production schedule page:
Production Schedule
Again, when comparing prices be sure you are not comparing CDN$ prices to US$.

Right now late model used Escapes are hot, hot, hot, with Casitas close behind.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
would you consider buying the used one if it was only $1400 less than a brand spanking new one without the aftermarket add-ons? Both the used and new models are identical with respect to Casita options.

I think this is purely a personal decision. How soon do you want or need the trailer? That is the big selling point of buying late model used, you can get it now vs waiting 1, 2, 6 months, depending on production schedules.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I think this is purely a personal decision. How soon do you want or need the trailer? That is the big selling point of buying late model used, you can get it now vs waiting 1, 2, 6 months, depending on production schedules.
You are absolutely right in that this is my decision alone to make. In my case, I can wait 2-3 months with no problem. Six months? No. Another consideration is that Casita will not warrant anything to a second owner - nothing. If the asking price was 20% or so less for the used one, I'd pay it in a heartbeat and not look back.

I guess the real question is what is a fair discount percentage for a Casita trailer 13 months old?
Old 10-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Robert---we bought used, a technically "new" trailer that had only been used for a 2 week trip to Florida by the man who we bought from--he had ordered 6 trailers from the manufacturer, had them shipped out and had two left when he and his wife decided to take this one on their vacation. To us, it was used. To him, it was new. Semantics, some might say....but we wanted it, didn't want to purchase an older model and couldn't even consider taking our own trip to the manufacturer....so we made him an offer and bought it.

I am certain that you intend to negotiate the price, as much as you can. We all would do our best to get the best deal. How much you are willing to pay, of course, will strictly be determined by how much you want it at the time of the deal.....

Good luck!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
You are absolutely right in that this is my decision alone to make. In my case, I can wait 2-3 months with no problem. Six months? No. Another consideration is that Casita will not warrant anything to a second owner - nothing. If the asking price was 20% or so less for the used one, I'd pay it in a heartbeat and not look back.

I guess the real question is what is a fair discount percentage for a Casita trailer 13 months old?
For a virgin, unmodified Casita a year old I would say 10%. Fiberglass does not wear out like a stick built, and every item is NOT used every day like a car. I'd ask how many days camping were put on the rig - while it's 13 months old, working folks probably spent less than a month actually using it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
You can also consider the modifications that are already done, very useful mods, that
you won't have to take time and money to do. The OMW hitch is very useful as is
the utility shelf. Look the trailer over, and then make up your own mind.
sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Another consideration is that Casita will not warrant anything to a second owner - nothing.
I would not concern myself too much with this with either trailer, as most of the components are covered by their various manufactures, like Dometic, etc. The base fibreglass trailers have proven to be quite sound for many, many years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Well that settles it then! Looks like a Casita might be in my future. Now, I'm ignorant of the used market in fiberglas RV's. Assuming the used 2014 model I'm going to look at tomorrow is as the seller describes and has had about $1500 worth of relatively useful "add on" aftermarket work done to it [Casita Hitch Receiver, Casita Open Tank Utility Platform, Skin Kit Upgrade for Open Tank Utility Platform, Aluminum Carrier and a Black Diamond aluminum storage trunk], would you consider buying the used one if it was only $1400 less than a brand spanking new one without the aftermarket add-ons? Both the used and new models are identical with respect to Casita options.

Do not know if you saw it but some has posted a very nice Escape 19' 2011 for sale here today..... it has a number of optional items on it as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #14

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
casita vs escape

Robert
If you can go to Rallies or gatherings to talk to owners of each C and E's you''ll get the real story there.
Also my experience as a 16' c owner was the door did not seal because it didn't have a hard frame to it. the E is the same design.
I now have a 17' C and love the door/screen door because when the moon is shinning at night there's no leakage around the door and when it's raining the door stays dry-inside! The molded door has no way to seal! It has fabric to fiberglass and that's not a good seal.
Weight?! Any amount of extra weight means more gas consumption. Maybe one doesn't care but to me it means I either don't have to worry about the money coming out of my pocket or I can go further on any trip. Simple math to me.
You're on the right road asking for input before you buy!
The best of luck to you on your research and let us know what you decide to get!
ps...new C's have a 1 year warranty on everything-bumper to bumper-2nd owners only have the components warranties for the length of time they offer. what does the E offer in warranties for 1st and 2nd owners?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Escape offers a full two year warranty, plus additional warranties are available on all appliances, etc. Whether the two year warranty is offered to the second owner, I wouldn't know. So few Escape are sold that quickly after the build.

AND, the Escape doesn't have an aircraft door anymore than a Trillium. Not like a Scamp or the 16' Casita. It does have a hard frame around it, its fiberglass, nothing to rot or rust.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape