Escape questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Escape questions

Being fairly new to travel trailers, I'm sure some of this is generic stuff. We're looking at an Escape 21 trailer, and have questions about stuff.

For instance, they list a 1500W inverter as an option for $550, and as a further $300 option, a transfer switch that includes all outlets. First of all, inverters are just generally confusing to me. I don't get what good they are. Secondly, I can get a 1500W inverter on Amazon for like 140 bucks (Amazon.com: Power Bright PW1500-12 Power Inverter 1500 Watt 12 Volt DC To 110 Volt AC: Patio, Lawn & Garden) What am I missing here?

Escape also offers as options an Equalizer hitch for $350 or an Anderson Hitch for $625. Can't just hook up to my ball mount and tow away? I need something special?

They have a SS sink and chrome faucet option for 70 bucks. Is that for the kitchen or bath, and what's stock?

What is a starter kit for 160 bucks?

What are 12V heat pads for a grand?

Is spraying foam insulation under a trailer a good idea? It's $700.

Again, I'm fairly new at this trailer stuff, so any help here would be greatly appreciated. I know they're not taking orders right now, and that it might be 2017 or 2018 before we could get one.

We love our egg, we're just interested in something a bit larger, and I refuse to go back to a sticky! I have a TV that would handle it (my F150), but we would look to buy a white van as our new TV at some point.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Frank, you might want to try the Escape Owners Forum. While there are escape owners here, that forum specifically relates to Escapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link: Escape Trailer Owners Community
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Inverter quality varies between brands. I've seen 1500 watt inverters for well north of $1500 and as little as a few hundred. My only experience with inverters is on boats and 20 years ago Heart and Trace were premium brands then and much more expensive than many others. The people I know who bought the expensive ones were satisfied and the people I know who bought the inexpensive ones were usually disappointed. Heart and Trace may not be available anymore but if you want a good inverter it will not be the lest expensive. Inverter installation requires some extra wiring and the heavy wiring material adds to the cost. I would talk to the staff at Escape about options and do some research on brands.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Frank, the heat pads and spray foam are $1000 (I have not looked at the new prices so saying what you said). The pads are on tanks to keep them warm and you need hook-ups for them. Will drain too much battery if boondocking.

The 1500-watt inverter is enough to run the microwave or other high-draw briefly when boondocking. The inverter changes your 12v to 120 to power your 120 outlets when you do not have an electrical hook-up. Our inverter is not working at the moment because it needs to be reset or some such, I hope, since it is new. We know next to nothing about it so have to find out why it is not working. We did use it a couple of times and now trying to figure out the problem. Prices are all over and I can't comment on that but, yes, you can buy cheaper ones.

We have the spray foam and the idea is to have the trailer warmer in cold weather by covering the undershell.

The Anderson is no longer offered due to too many problem reports.

The starter kit has a bunch of standard items such as water pressure regulator for those who have not had a trailer before.

The awning window opens from the bottom and a 21' does not have an awning window unless you count the emergency window. We, however, had a little awning window installed in our 21' in place of the usual large slider at the kitchen. We have the only 21' with an awning that I know. So we can open the window at night and not have to close it if rain.

If you are really interested, I can only say to put your deposit down as soon as you can and get in line. We gave our deposit last October and just picked up the trailer. Did not know in October if we would even buy another Escape or which one. Just got in line. Your line position will change if you change models.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If I was putting a 1500 watt inverter in a trailer like this, I would want at least 2 and preferably 4 golf cart batteries. Extra $$$ and weight.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

We have two six-volt batteries and also did on our 19'. That is a common choice with solar also.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #8

New York
Thanks folks, appreciate the advice. Cathy, they are not even taking orders right now. they say get back to them early 2016 for possible 2017 delivery!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Escape questions

Also, some inverters (pure sine wave) are more expensive but are recommended for certain electronics. There are modified sine wave inverters and plain old inverters. I have a 150 watt pure sine wave inverter strictly used for my wife to watch TV if 120 vac is not available.

SS sink is a kitchen option. Standard is white enameled sink. Same for range hood. Bathroom sink is molded plastic material.

Starter kit is a bunch of stuff for someone who has never RVd before. Not sure what is in Escape starter kit because I did not buy it, but it could be rolls of toilet paper, toilet chemicals, water supply hose, suction cup hangers, 15 amp adapter, awning cleanser, etc. Hopefully, someone will chime in who knows but if you have a trailer now, you probably don't need the starter kit.

12v pads are intended to keep holding tanks from freezing if you are a cold weather camper. For me, cold weather is 40 to 60 Fahrenheit. Below 40 would be Arctic conditions! I personally don't camp in Arctic conditions and I avoid cold weather camping as I prefer shirtsleeve temperatures when I'm sitting around the campsite.

Spray foam is insulation to keep the floor warmer. In conjunction with the extra wall insulation/double pane windows, it provides a degree of soundproofing.

Edit: I am a slow typer on the iPhone. I see Cathi has already addressed the points you asked about before I finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks folks, appreciate the advice. Cathy, they are not even taking orders right now. they say get back to them early 2016 for possible 2017 delivery!

Frank
Yes, I heard that. Hopefully they will be able to produce more units starting in the next few months when they are supposed to get more space. Then maybe they can catch up some on orders.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Yes, I heard that. Hopefully they will be able to produce more units starting in the next few months when they are supposed to get more space. Then maybe they can catch up some on orders.
Cathi, does Escape handle all the paper work stuff for bringing a new one back into the U.S., like you did? If not, what does one do?

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

Frank
Yes, they cut off orders for 2016, and in early 2016 they will reopen the order process, with the first ones being at the beginning of 2017.

I am thinking part of the reason for no orders now is that they have changes in mind to streamline and increase their production, with added space involved I believe. I imagine they need some time to figure out just what their potential production schedule may be.

It is great being part of the Escape family for over near 7 years now, and look forward to my up and coming 5.0 TA. Reace and Tammy (and staff) are great to work with, and fun to socialize with too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Is spraying foam insulation under a trailer a good idea? It's $700.
The Escape Users forum as has been suggested is the BEST place to get the answers to your questions.

if your wanting a versatile trailers that will allow you to do some 3 season camping in cooler climates then yes the foam insulation is a good idea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is great being part of the Escape family for over near 7 years now, and look forward to my up and coming 5.0 TA. Reace and Tammy (and staff) are great to work with, and fun to socialize with too.
When you getting the 5.0?
What you doing with your 19' and when ??????????
Old 09-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When you getting the 5.0?
What you doing with your 19' and when ??????????
Hoping to get the 5.0 by the end of May, and have already got rid of the 19 to someone I do business with. I am trailerless now for the first time in 25 years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Hoping to get the 5.0 by the end of May, and have already got rid of the 19 to someone I do business with. I am trailerless now for the first time in 25 years.
Congrats! Sounds like a good excuse to just go a nice warm beach this winter instead of camping.

But I have to say that all the top secret behind closed doors sales that take place with Escapes makes it hard for those of us out of the loop!!!!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Congrats! Sounds like a good excuse to just go a nice warm beach this winter instead of camping.

But I have to say that all the top secret behind closed doors sales that take place with Escapes makes it hard for those of us out of the loop!!!!
Thanks. I might have to just work hard to pay for the cost difference.

Some people have said I was special, though I think they were just being kind.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Special needs?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #19

Registry
That has been suggested.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hey Carol, don't feel bad. Those of us on the EscapeForum didn't know about it either until it was a done deal!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape