Hi! I'm Dena & hopefully about to become a lil bigfoot owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Smile Hi! I'm Dena & hopefully about to become a lil bigfoot owner!

I have adored bolers since my childhood and have always dreamed of owning an egg trailer. I have been searching recently to buy one and have come across what i hope to be our new home away from home. On Saturday we are going to drive 2.5 hrs to look at a 13' Lil Bigfoot. From the photo's it looks well taken care of and in good shape but I am a tad nervous because I know nothing about what to look for other than the obvious. Thanks to this forum i have downloaded the buyers check list to take. I still have to find out exactly what permits we need to drive it home. Feeling like a huge noob!! If anyone can give advice on what to look for when viewing it would be greatly appreciated. I am new to campers period as up until now we are strictly tenter's. So excited and anxious for Saturday!!
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV Dena,
We love pictures here, so when you pick up your new home please post some.....
just ask the sellers to operate everything for you, like buying a used car and going for a test drive.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
here are the photos i was sent

cpaharley2008, thank you for the welcome and advice. i will definitely do what you suggest. the contact person is selling for her parents who live out of town. We have been emailing and have a good rapport going. They state that all electronics are working, there are no leaks or bad smells, the trailer has been well cared for and is in take camping now codition, new tires were put on last year but it has not been used since then. Here are the pictures i have, if you see anything concerning please share. I am wondering about how low to the ground the trailer is. seems way to low. Oh, and for the record, after talking and such we are sitting at 2500$ asking price. Thoughts please

Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Glad to have you here! Best of luck with the Bigfoot look-see. $2500 sounds really good. Some people pay more for a FG trailer that needs much fixing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
That fire extinguisher is probably out of date and check the water stain next and below it in the picture, make sure the floor is not soft. For $2500 it looks nice.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Thanks for the welcome Mike, I almost feel the price is too good so something must be wrong with it or maybe i have just been reading too many horror stories of trailer damage and repair on here lol.

Jim, Thank you! That spot is something i doubt i would have spotted, will be sure to check the floors real good.

My biggest fear is buying it because It looks good or I just do not know better and then it ends up needing to be gutted or something horrible and i do not have the money or knowledge for that kind of adventure.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
A good price sometimes indicate a good value, most FG units sell from $4k to $6k for older units and more for newer units, check the sold archives here on the forum.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I just returned from delivering our 1994 Lil Bigfoot to it's new owner and, while it was completely updated including a hot water system, we got almost 4 times that price. If it looks like the pics and rolls I would grab it on a New York minute.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #9

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Hi Dena,

Welcome to FGRV!

The trailer looks great and the price is amazing! Everyone gave you great advice, but I would add one more thing if you buy it. Have the wheel bearings greased at the earliest opportunity. It has sat a while and this will save you some wear and tear early on. Also, if it has electric brakes I believe it does), it would be good to have those checked, as well. For a 13 ft, they are not considered essential, but I think they make for a safer towing experience.

Good luck!

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Saskatchewan
thanks for the input Bob. The people selling it are an older couple that live in a very small town. Their daughter is the contact person as they are not internet savy lol. They have been great, even helping us with what hitch we need so I am hoping that the price is just a really good deal. Eases my mind a bit to know others would snag it up.

Rick, thank you for the wheel bearing and brake advice, will definitely do as suggested
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Dena
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Dena, to the egg party!

Looking at the pictures, if it's as nice as it appears... you'll get a good one and I think the price is very good.

You'll know if it's the trailer for you, because when you step inside... your heart will sing (no joke).

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Dena,
If the trailer has brakes, you may need a brake controller installed in your tow vehicle. Does it have a 4 or 7 pin connector?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

Saskatchewan
Donna - thank you for the warm welcome. I already have visions of home in this trailer just from the pictures, hoping for a heart song for sure

Jim, i was told it needs a 2 inch ball and 7 pin connector. our chevy avalanche has a hidden hitch but no ball...yet. will go to store before we head out to see the trailer. I know nothing of hitches, so everything i just typed might as well be in klingon. lol
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dena, the big factor I saw in your pictures was the tongue box. It looks complete and all there. Believe it or not, those are hard to come by. It may not be important to you, but we've had plenty of folks posting wanting one... and they're impossible to find. THAT alone shouldn't make your decision, far from it, but it definitely should be a consideration as far as "how" the trailer has been maintained.

I said before, I'll say it again... best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
You will need to know the height of the coupler on the trailer when it is level. You then measure from the ground up to your receiver on your hitch. You will then need to buy a drawbar that when inserted into your receiver will be at the correct height that your trailer when attached to your vehicle will be level. That can be either up or down, 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 inches one way or another. Once you have that magic number you will need to purchase a drawbar with a 2" ball that when inserted in your receiver will tow the Bigfoot level.
You will also need to have a brake controller installed since this trailer seems to have electric brakes if it has a 7 pin, The brake controller will activate your trailer brakes when you press on your vehicle's brakes.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
oh my Jim you just hurt my brain lol. ok, being that the trailer is in a small town with if lucky a corner store/gas station this is all stuff i need to do before we leave. do i just need to get them to give us the height of the coupler then go to Canadian tire and give them info and get them to install the needed stuff? ( that's how i roll. lol) or is it something that can easily be done by my mommy who is much more knowledgeable with trailer dealings being a semi driver for over 20 yrs???
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Get the info and then go to Canadian tire, that way if it is wrong you can yell at them instead of your Mom.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
iam apparently on facebook too much because i was looking how to "like" your last post. thanks so much for the info, definitely the kind of stuff i need help with. nothing like jumping right in there and learning as you go.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll let you "like" me

Tags
bigfoot, lil bigfoot