1981 Bigfoot fridge replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
1981 Bigfoot fridge replacement

Our fridge is leaking propane from the control panel, and I've been told by the service tech that replacement parts are not available and would actually cost more than a new fridge (they stated that the current fridge is older than the camper). They want $1000 for a new 3way fridge plus $300 install. Can anyone tell me if these prices are reasonable? Does anyone know of a RV wrecker that sells used parts/appliances - preferably in Canada?
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
you have other options.....

it all depends on how you usually use your trailer.....

yeah, a replacement 3 way fridge costs the moon...

my problem was the "power board" (cooling unit fine, no propane leaks either)....I was able to find an RV guy who had a bunch of used boards salvaged from scrapped fridges....he had one that fit/worked....cost me 150 bucks with the fridge front panel (turned out to be a 2 way...3 way are hard to find apparently....and my alternator could not keep up with the fridge anyway so I never used the DC mode)

You could try to find a used one, the same size as yours (cabinet opening)

You could get one of those smallish coolers, runs on 12V or 110AC

Or you could build yourself a real good ice box....(that's what I'd do I think) a block of ice will last 5-6 days in a well built ice box....How long do you usually stay out?.....dunno where you live but around here blocks of ice are available at every corner store/gas station.....pretty handy....find the right container and you could make your own ice at home

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
kla9.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
and forgot to mention...

with the last two options you would have some cubic footage (space) left over that you could use for something else....more space...always nice
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Beautiful campsite picture, Francois.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Klaklakama Lake....

sounds just like Hawaii don't it?.....LOL..but it's on northern Vancouver Island....

click on pics...
Attached Thumbnails
kla1.jpg   klapan.jpg  

kla5.jpg   brewb2.jpg  

Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Like franswa says, it depends on how you use the trailer. My choice would be to switch to a compressor fridge so it gets cooler faster and leveling is not as critical.

You might try an eBay and Google search of the control panel part number. That's what the used parts guys do.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
Like franswa says, it depends on how you use the trailer. My choice would be to switch to a compressor fridge so it gets cooler faster and leveling is not as critical.

You might try an eBay and Google search of the control panel part number. That's what the used parts guys do.
Thanks for the suggestions. While i like the idea of a compressor fridge, I also like to be able to run on propane when there is no electricity available. I did try searching ebay and google for parts for the Insta-matic IM30, but since they went out of business around 1980 (yes, the fridge is older than the Bigfoot), parts are few and far between.

I also searched kijiji in all the western provinces for a used fridge, and found more people looking to purchase used fridges than people trying to sell them, especially here in Saskatchewan. So, we have ordered a new Dometic RM2354 3-way to be installed next week.

*** If anybody wants the Insta-matic let me know - it still works on electricity.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Ouch....

and how much was that I wonder???.....seems like the biggest "hit" one can take with these RVs (all of them) is fridge problems/replacement....I feel your pain....but warm beer is the pits...
Attached Thumbnails
fixit.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 ft / 2000 Toyota 4-Runner
What is the name of this camp ground?

Yes, these photos are wonderful. Can you tell us the name of the campground?
Jenny Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
it's called...

"Upper Klaklakama rec site".....that's what the "BC Backroads Map Book" (Vancouver Island edition) calla it.....but there's no sign.....and it's all of TWO sites there...the one I'm parked in (picture) and one more beside it in the trees.....and one outhouse
Attached Thumbnails
klapan.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
81 Bigfoot fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Our fridge is leaking propane from the control panel, and I've been told by the service tech that replacement parts are not available and would actually cost more than a new fridge (they stated that the current fridge is older than the camper). They want $1000 for a new 3way fridge plus $300 install. Can anyone tell me if these prices are reasonable? Does anyone know of a RV wrecker that sells used parts/appliances - preferably in Canada?
Thanks!

$300.00 for a install is to much to pay. You could do it yourself.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
price.....

well if you look on eBay....for a RM2354 they want 950.....your canadian price sounds ok...even good actually........2351s (2 way) are 100 to 150 bucks cheaper.......I never used mine on DC, alternator couldn't keep up....so you could save a couple of bucks there maybe

300 for install sounds expensive...the guy ain't doing you any favors that's for sure....but there could be some reworking of the cabinet that I don't know about....(?)

how about traveling with a good cooler for a while and keep looking for a "deal".....you might come across an RV that somebody is parting out

me, I certainly wouldn't part with a grand "without a fight"....and certainly not the 300 (household plug for the 110, connect two wires to a block on the back for DC, connect the propane line and check for a leak)

(both fridges need a DC connection for the control board....even the 2 way) good luck
Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Geoff, all RV refers are big $$$ new and nobody wants to have to replace one. But, sometimes it just has to be done. I had to replace one about 15 years ago. Yes I could have had it fixed for $600, but as it was 15 years old some of the plastic parts were starting to crack on the corners and replacement plastic parts were only available used. I went ahead and had a new one installed, LP and AC only for $1200. Turned out to be a good move as it would be cold in two hours.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
What are the dimensions of your IM30 ?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #15

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
What are the dimensions of your IM30 ?
Lol... I have no idea, but presumably the same as a dometic RM2354 [URL]http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/refrigerators/Refrigerator-Product-Display/?productdataid=71135/[URL]

Tags
bigfoot, fridge