Scamps on government auction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Scamps on government auction

Govliquidation.com has these listed in Alaska.

Scamp Travel Trailer, Approx. 16 Feet long, 2 Burner stove, Unknown VIN / Model, Unknown electrical, water system condit - Government Liquidation
Scamp Travel Trailer, Approx. 16 Feet long, 2 Burner stove, Refrigerator, Unknown VIN / Model, Unknown electrical, water - Government Liquidation

They both appear to need a lot of work/TLC.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Government couldn't keep track of VIN?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Registry
When I bought one a few years ago I got a title. The Govliqidation rep was probably too lazy to search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Probably cost several times the purchase price just to get shipped home from AK.
Darl Sabraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Drive it home from Alaska! Lots of Scamps have made the (round) trip.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Anything already in Alaska will most likely sell for more money than it would in the lower 48. If there is any demand in Alaska for these units, and there most likely is, they will go for top dollar and stay in Alaska. If I took my trailer to Alaska and offered it for sale I would almost certainly sell it for more than I would in Washington. Supply is very limited in this market. It's hard to find a bargain on any outdoor equipment in Alaska.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Bought mine gov't surplus. Only negative was the lack of maintenance. Electrical work, new bearings and tires and new cabinet doors and it looked great!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #8

I gather we all trust our governments, so if a commercial operation uses Gov in their name and URL, then it follows that the objects being sold are being sold for a loss ( isn't that what government does? ).
Currently, Target Canada is in liquidation. Selling off millions worth of product. Some think that Target is selling the stuff. More likely, Target has sold the inventory to a company that specializes in "Liquidation Sales - everything must go". And they are in the business of getting the most for the least.
One customer reported looking at the TV he had seen earlier for $199 at Target, now on sale for $349 ( 30 per cent off!! ).
Anyway, if you can't tow it home, you might be able to drag it home.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

Registry
I've had two Casita's from government auctions. One from one of these sales and like Dennis it needed a lot of TLC. The other one was a sealed bid auction from the local air base recreation agency. They had them to rent out. TLC needed but not as much. This is the first Scamps I have seen. I agree they are likely rare in Alaska. I wanted to post this for anyone up there to be aware of so they can bid on them.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #10

Is govliquidation.com a private, for profit company ( the .com may indicate that it is ) or a government agency ( .gov ) ?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #11

Registry
Govliqidation is a private company that contracts to sell government surplus. They add a small premium to every sale. The stuff turned in to the base/post surplus agency that doesn't get requisitioned by another unit, federal or state agency, or law enforcement goes to sale. Restricted items are destroyed.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #12

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Alaska
Gene -
Thanks for your posting. I bid on and purchased one of the 16' Scamps at Ft Wainwright, AK this week. There were two in total up for auction.
No VIN# identified so I don't know the year but it is Layout #4.
I bought it sight unseen.
I plan to travel next week to pick it up and inspect.
From the pics it is in need of TLC.
Excited about getting it and restoring it. I plan to use it for camping trips around the state; husband and two daughters.

Lorraine
akskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Govliquidation.com is merely a commercial entity that sells what appears to be liquidation items, most of which do not come from any government. Just becasue it has gov at the beginning of it's commercial name does not mean it has anything to do with any government. Many items are from banks, insurance companies, and who knows where. Regardless, it's "Buyer Beware!"

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #14

Registry
Perry, you are incorrect. I have dealt with this outfit for years. They are contracted to sell Federal Government surplus located only at military bases. There are some other sites that sell city, state, or county surplus or confiscated items. Not sure if that is also a part of this company. Military bases have a recreation agency that rents these to base personnel. These might be from that or units used at some remote sites. I bought one once that was used as a guard shack at a small base in Duluth, Mn.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #15

Registry
If you go to the bottom of this page you will see links for other surplus web sites. Some of them might be for private companies selling also. Others are for sites for other government sales.
Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation
Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #16

Registry
Akskier,
You are welcome. I am surprised at the price they went for. Demand has it's price I guess. Stuff tends to go rather high at that site quite often. I got one of mine when the recreation agency did a sealed bid sale. Only paid $1236 for it! Put under $500 into it to get it usable. It was in better shape than those.
I hope that they will give you a title. They did for me. Wouldn't surprise me if someone was just too lazy to look for a serial number hard enough. Call the Scamp people and ask about it. There is likely more than one location for it. The appliances in them are pretty standard so you should be able to replace them easy enough. Don't forget to post some info of your project getting it fixed. The rest of us are nosy/curious that way. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #17

Registry
akskier,
Which one did you get?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #18

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Sorry Gene, but I am correct. Yes, govliquidation.com does sell government surplus and I said that. They also sell other items for other reasons. However, I realize I should have used the word "some" instead of "most."

Our Casita was owned by a couple in Bismark. A drunk jumped the curb, went across their lawn, perfectly hit the front of the wheel at 90 degrees while the trailer was parked in their yard, ruined the wheel, and bent the axle. They accepted insurance money for the camper. The insurance company sold the camper to govliquidation.com (or used them to sell the camper) and then it was sold to the dealer we purchased it from. Not only did the dealer tell me where the auction took place but the camper had the original paperwork for the camper. The paperwork had the couples name and phone #, and they told me their side (insurance) of the story.

Right now govliquidation.com has a 65 Ford Mustang on their main page. I doubt it was previously owned by the government. Why did the government purchase two Scamp campers in Alaska? My guess is they were civilian insurance jobs or something similar, just like our Casita. The reason for my previous post was "Buyer Beware!"

When we arrived to look at the camper it had an obviously ruined wheel, bent axle and all the doors on the impact side were open because of the broken knobs. I crawled underneath the entire camper and found the frame to be perfectly straight. There was no broken paint or ripples, so after much inspection we took the gamble and purchased the camper for a nice price. Once home (ruined the tire in the 35 mile drive) we bought a new complete identical replacement axle with brakes for $425 and had it installed for $50 locally. Casita axles easily and quickly bolt in whereas Scamps are welded. I found a new tire and rim on Craigslist for $45. We also had to replace the battery door for $50, that I installed, put in some new door knobs that snapped on impact and replaced a couple of rivets. We've been camping in it for the past two years and it's been great. It will be our camper until Terry retires in three years and then we'll get a fg camper with AC, a bathroom and heated/insulated tanks.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
All military bases have a facility called MWR (morale, welfare, recreation). Many MWR units rent travel trailers. I've seen 17' Casitas at Lackland AFB (San Antonio, Tx), 13' Scamps at Wright-Patterson AFB (Dayton, OH) and we used to rent 16' Casitas at NAS Ft Worth. I would guess that the Scamps in Alaska were used by MWR and turned in to DRMO for disposal when deemed unfit for use.

Tags
scamp