Scamp Barn find! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I may be wrong, but it looks like your axle is sagging.
Might be, but I used mine locally with one that was lower. I just did not do any long trips or real bad roads until I could do the axle.

Looks like the well goes across the top of the rim, mine was down across the rim at least a couple inches lower looking. Sort of miss how easy it was to get into, not much of a step up.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp Barn find!

Nice pictures! We have seen far, far worse here. You have a fair bit of work ahead, but if you take it one step at a time, you will have a very nice trailer before long.

I've heard to check two things on the axle. One is to see how much clearance there is between the top of the tire and the wheel well. There should be a fist of clearance or so. The other is to jack up one side (on the frame near the axle, not on the axle itself). The axle arm should drop down as the trailer is raised a couple of inches or so.

Wondering about the floor... That could be the biggest project.

The Ensolite looks to be in great condition considering the age. Definitely worth keeping.

In any case, a thorough cleaning inside and out will go a long way!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Doesn't look too bad at all Bill. You'll be surprised how serviceable it is once it's cleaned up. As others have mentioned, remounting the seat bottoms and other things isn't hard. At least you have most of the major pieces.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #24

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Oh and like others have said Scamp still has a fair number of parts for the old ones. Link to the Scamp online store. Heck you can even replace the decals.

Hardware

If you don't have the top to that stove it leaves you no reason not to consider something better (amazon has lots of them) or even storage and counter top if you don't generally cook inside.

Sorry I really get excited when I see one of the older ones rescued
Thanks RogerDat for the Scamp parts link. Boy, I could spend a LOT OF MONEY there!

The top to the stove range is laying in the lower compartment for the ice box. however, it is quite rusty, and I'm thinking about just using one of the single burner asian table stoves. Cheap at $10 to $14 each, and I find them easy to use. Maybe doing away with the LP bottle.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #25

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
I may be wrong, but it looks like your axle is sagging.
I sure hope not! But, it's an old trailer.

The tires are under inflated at this time. Just enough air was added to flat tires to drive about 15 miles home. (air tank was enptied(sp?)

I did experance some banging when hitting some large pot holes. However, the LP bottle was loose, and I'm hoping that was causing the noise!

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Nice pictures! We have seen far, far worse here. You have a fair bit of work ahead, but if you take it one step at a time, you will have a very nice trailer before long.

I've heard to check two things on the axle. One is to see how much clearance there is between the top of the tire and the wheel well. There should be a fist of clearance or so. The other is to jack up one side (on the frame near the axle, not on the axle itself). The axle arms should drop down as the trailer is raised a couple of inches or so.

Wondering about the floor... That could be the biggest project.

The Ensolite looks to be in great condition considering the age. Definitely worth keeping.

In any case, a thorough cleaning inside and out will go a long way!
Thanks again Jon!

I'll follow your tips on checking the axle. If it's bad, it will be the last thing replaced. I'd have to decide if the cost would be worth it. Or maybe just use the trailer for a tiny guest house?

I believe at least the front part of the floor will need attention. It feels soft in a couple of places. But, i won't know until I can move everything out of the trailer.

If i have the trailer in camping condition by October, i'll be happy. But, if not then there is next year!

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #27

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Doesn't look too bad at all Bill. You'll be surprised how serviceable it is once it's cleaned up. As others have mentioned, remounting the seat bottoms and other things isn't hard. At least you have most of the major pieces.
Thanks Robert. I do wish that I had some of the missing dinette parts, table, etc.

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cheap works, good for you Bill!

Just a bit of suggestion. Don't get so involved in changes/mods to forget why you bought the trailer.

Two things, be safe to go down the road (you're share it with others!) and make certain the inside is clean (your dirt is cleaner than THEIR dirt), and have a ton of fun!

Make memories every single time. What it looks like? Who cares? You're out having a ton of fun while every other person is sitting on the couch.. wishing and hopin'...

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #29

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cheap works, good for you Bill!

Just a bit of suggestion. Don't get so involved in changes/mods to forget why you bought the trailer.

Two things, be safe to go down the road (you're share it with others!) and make certain the inside is clean (your dirt is cleaner than THEIR dirt), and have a ton of fun!

Make memories every single time. What it looks like? Who cares? You're out having a ton of fun while every other person is sitting on the couch.. wishing and hopin'...

Hi Donna D,

Your advice is very good, and quite timely. A person can get caught up in trying to make an old beat up trailer into a like-new one!

Not that I don't admire those trailers. But, I've been down that road with other projects, and at this time in my life...somple, small, and cheap is all I need and want!

Just a place, out of the wind and rain, where I can sleep, and/or enjoy a cup of coffee!

A good friend, who owns a Compact Junior, suggested that "I put in a cot, and a reclining chair, and I'd be good to go".

Ha! I'll try to do a bit more!

Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
i would post the price I paid, but it is so low I'm afraid no one will believe it!
Quote:
Since I'm sure she was just joking...I won't repeat her nasty comments!
Seems to be a lot of secrecy surrounding this trailer.

Congrats on your find. Make the work a labour of love, and don't work on it just because you feel you need to. It can be quite rewarding this way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #31

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Exterior looks good and interior will clean up nicely. As someone (and you) previously said if your floor is rotten that will be one of your biggest jobs.
Good fimd!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #32

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seems to be a lot of secrecy surrounding this trailer.

Congrats on your find. Make the work a labour of love, and don't work on it just because you feel you need to. It can be quite rewarding this way.
Ha! Well, Jim, If you promise not to tell anyone else...I'll tell you how much I paid for the Scamp. OK? I paid $300.00 for it, plus $42.50 to transfer the title.

Now, you can see why I had doubts that anyone would believe me.

I really bought the Scamp only to have something to think about, and work on, in a attempt to keep my mind and body active!

However, I do hope to also make it, as you suggested, a labour of love, I only wish I was a more skilled craftsman!

Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #33

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Exterior looks good and interior will clean up nicely. As someone (and you) previously said if your floor is rotten that will be one of your biggest jobs.
Good fimd!
Thank you for the kind comments!

I wonder if anyone has done a fast, cheap, and dirty job of just adding a extra layer of plywood to the top of the rotten area?

Well, I am cheap!

Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Ha! Well, Jim, If you promise not to tell anyone else...I'll tell you how much I paid for the Scamp. OK? I paid $300.00 for it, plus $42.50 to transfer the title.

Now, you can see why I had doubts that anyone would believe me.

I really bought the Scamp only to have something to think about, and work on, in a attempt to keep my mind and body active!

However, I do hope to also make it, as you suggested, a labour of love, I only wish I was a more skilled craftsman!

Bill
That is a good deal, I paid $1,000 Canadian pesos for my Trillium 1300 I am rebuilding, which too was a good deal. Lots of work needed with it too, though I could have put much less into it, and still had something quite usable. The biggest costs are the rebuilding, but I am going just about whole hog on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My best deal was $100 for Humpty Dumpty:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html
It has been sitting with the roof jacked up to where it should be. It is amazing to me that the fibreglass has more or less bounced back to orignal shape. I should post an update to that thread.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #36

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
My best deal was $100 for Humpty Dumpty:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html
It has been sitting with the roof jacked up to where it should be. It is amazing to me that the fibreglass has more or less bounced back to orignal shape. I should post an update to that thread.
Oh My! Your $100 Trilliun "Humpty Dumpty" first photos make my Scamp look good. But, of course, i did pay three times as much for the Scamp!

I have read only a few of the messages on your "Humpty Dumpty" thread, but I have saved the link and will read all of them. So much good intormation there!

There is no doubt that you are the craftsman I can only wish I was!

Bill
Old 03-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ummmm..... Bill, I am good, but way slooooooooow. Humpty Dumpty is one of six trailers, five kids, three cats, and one wife. That, and I am a procrastinator. I think though, Humpty Dumpty is this years big project.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #38

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The ensolite in our 76 13' Scamp would no longer stick. We tried every kind of glue and adhesive. We think that it was so dirty between the ensolite and fiberglass that it just had to come out. So, that is what we did, pulled it all down and then ground off the remaining pad and glue. If you can get it to stay stuck you can fill in between the gaps with paintable caulking and then just paint the whole thing.

Ian's Boler rebuild has some really good pointers on fixing the ensolite.

Good luck with your project and don't give up. By the way we bought our Scamp from a cousin of my wife's and paid $500 for it. We love it and plan to make it fit our needs vs. Scamp's idea of user needs. We will add a full size bed, narrowing the cabinets and moving the kitchen to the front, don't use the bunk beds anyway.
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #39

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
The ensolite in our 76 13' Scamp would no longer stick. We tried every kind of glue and adhesive. We think that it was so dirty between the ensolite and fiberglass that it just had to come out. So, that is what we did, pulled it all down and then ground off the remaining pad and glue. If you can get it to stay stuck you can fill in between the gaps with paintable caulking and then just paint the whole thing.

Ian's Boler rebuild has some really good pointers on fixing the ensolite.

Good luck with your project and don't give up. By the way we bought our Scamp from a cousin of my wife's and paid $500 for it. We love it and plan to make it fit our needs vs. Scamp's idea of user needs. We will add a full size bed, narrowing the cabinets and moving the kitchen to the front, don't use the bunk beds anyway.
Bob, your message couldn't have arrived at a better time!

The truth is that since I learned the Scamp that I bought had a bad torsion bar axle, I have become a bit discouraged. I now have to make a dicision whether I replace the axle in the next few days, or wait until I have repaired the insides. Or should I just sell the trailer before I start spending money on it? I guess I should explain that I'm a old man...even older than dirt, and twice as ugly!

So, I may use the trailer only once or twice a year.

But, enought about me! I really like your thoughts about moving the kitchen to the front! Heck, Scamp places a toilet and shower in that space...why not a kitchen.

What will you place in the existing kitchen space? Is there room for a two-person dinette?

I also nave no need for bunks, and may copy your front kitchen idea. Please post lots of photos showing your modifications as you go along.

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #40

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Bill,

We are planning to put the kitchen up front and since we have a fixed plexiglas front window replace it with a window that can be opened vs. installing a fan. We are trying to squeeze a dinette in but are also looking at making the bed dinette in a u shape like Ian's 13' boler. While we are waiting for the axle we have time to figure it out. We plan to get the axle installed and do enough to get the shell back on and use her as we put her back together. We will need to make sure the structure is supported. Heard of one left over the winter that collapsed without cabinets to support it. Ours is called Hummingbird.

We are located near Mount St. Helens if you are in the neighborhood let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp