Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #21

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
That is looking good! Glad you found the ticket with that power washer... Let the tools do the work!

By the way, you better contact the factory and call off the arranged wedding... You're going to have quite an attachment to this mistress of yours by the time you're through this adventure with her.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I have till October, so thought I would wait a little in case I find something really bad with the frame when I lift it. I towed fine coming home. Wonder if anyone would like my time slot with Scamp -- Jan 15th -- 13, with big bed, A/C and bath... don't know if Scamp does that.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #23

Illinois
Power washer done

finished the power washing of the inside today. Glad that job is over. The inside is now free of most of the stuff that was on the walls. I will let the inside dry and see about finishing the floors tomorrow. The back one is out, and the others won't take very long, I don't think. Dentist tomorrow, so we'll see how I feel after the root canal. There is a little stuff that will be sanded off, and I think I will put a light coat of epoxy over some of the loose fibers, but then it is one to fixing the cabinets and building some support for the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 30 17 finished wash (1).jpg   Aug 30 17 finished wash (2).jpg  

Aug 30 17 finished wash (3).jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #24

Illinois
Demo done

Well, I think we are at the end of the demo work -- all is off the floor, and the body and frame are separated. I noticed while I was working that there were a couple of places where the floor was buckled, and a little lifted up. So will set it flat on plywood when it comes back down, and make sure that the floor and the fiberglass are both solid together. While working I also noticed that I had no grey tank, never thought about the fact that there was a hole to the ground -- never registered that is where the tank is supposed to be -- so now I will order one, and have it in a few days. While I have it separated, I am going to wire brush it all and repaint the frame. There are some holes on the floor of the fiberglass and I will be fixing all that. Looks like a couple of days of stuff before I am ready to get it all back together.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 frame start.jpg   sep 9 17 on blocks side.jpg  

Sep 9 17 up on blocks.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #25

OH
Standing on the floor of something great. Good feeling to be at that tipping point. Building brings momentum. Enjoy.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

Illinois
Thanks -- I love what you did with yours, the floor was what gave me the idea for painting the walls with the epoxy paint, except I won't put in the color chips, and I am using a color that will go with the carpet I am putting on the walls.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

Illinois
Beautiful day outside today -- nice day to work on the frame. Wire brushed the frame to get rid of the loose stuff, then used a Rust-o-lium primer "rust reformatter" that is supposed to convert the rust into a protection. Don't know the chemistry but tried it out. Worked well. It was nice to have a little hill in the back yard, so I could extend the frame over it to easily get under it. Then for the front, a piece of PVC lifted it higher in front, and the hill let the back end go down, so that let me easily get under the front.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 wire brushed.jpg   sep 9 17 paint.jpg  

Sep 9 17 painting.jpg   sep 9 17 frame done.jpg  

Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Illinois
After the painting was done, time to start looking over the parts, and figure what I will need to make, and what will need repaired, and what will work. I had purchased a larger grey water tank, but when I went to put it into the frame, It was not going to work. The top of the tank would be above the frame, and if something happened, I would have to take the body off to work on it, and it hung really a little to close to the ground, so I will order the smaller one from Casita and install it next week. The gas in the stove works, and the door is not too bad, the vent hood needs a filter, and there are a lot of other "little things" that will need to be done as I start putting it back together. I am hopeful that the body and frame will go back together tomorrow, and I can start the floor finish work. Then electrical -- and I could go camping -- but probably will wait till more gets done.
Attached Thumbnails
sep 9 17 sorting parts.jpg   sep 9 17 door started.jpg  

Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Lovin' the restoration!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #30

Illinois
Thanks -- I have been enjoying these last few days with the weather in the low 70's dry and sunshine, it makes working on the camper fun. I hope the have the body back on the frame tomorrow, with some plywood under it to hold everything flat.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #31

Illinois
Been a little while sinc3e update -- got a little sidetracked -- grandkids -- wonderful sidetrack!!!
Before setting the shell back down -- I put tape on all the little holes under the floor -- all the screw holes and other breaks. I used the silver aluminum tape, wanted a good bond, but also planned on setting the floor back down on a sheet of plywood and didn't want the epoxy to glue to the plywood. I had noticed that they was a little bow in the front, a lift from the rot and some damage where the body came to the frame. I also put tape on all the places that the drains came through for the same reason. Also, it seemed that the floor was a little weak, so I planned on adding one mat of fiberglass and epoxy on both sides of the wood, and a mat of fiberglass to hold the wood more rigid.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-11 14.07.47.jpg   2017-09-11 14.08.05.jpg  

2017-09-11 14.08.18.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #32

Illinois
Noticed someone had painted the frame, so should have no trouble getting it in the right place.
Cut all the pieces, and set the rear piece. I put weight on the hold it down, and braced into the body to pull the sides up a little. Have everything cut to finish, the parents come back from wedding in Florida on Monday, so will finish it up, then start putting the pieces back in.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-12 14.51.36.jpg   2017-09-12 14.44.21.jpg  

2017-09-14 13.31.46.jpg   2017-09-14 13.31.53.jpg  

Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #33

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I look forward to each update.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #34

OH
You'll be walking around in there in no time at all. That is going to be one solid floor!!!

This is such a fun hobby. I think the manufacturers get it 90% there. But because the last 10% will cost you 20% there is always some compromise. In a build like this, however, profit margin is measured in smiles and you end up with a no-compromise, built-like-it-should-have-been, result.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #35

Illinois
Yes I wanted the floor solid, and when taking it up, I noticed that it didn't connect in a number of places where the fiberglass dropped slightly between the frame supports. That's why I used the plywood under the body, and made sure I used pressure to get a good bond. The glass and epoxy on the top with strengthen it a little more, and insure that there are not water issues going forward. I want it to last another 30 years with no floor problems. I also noticed that when the floor got a little rot, the front and back edges at the frame go a beating, so there will be extra glass and epoxy at the frame sites as well. I've also decided to glass in all the cabinets and counters to give it more strength and put a 3/4 plywood narrow cabinet and support over the wheels.
It is a lot of fun on the rebuild, so glad I went this way, rather than just buy one. I just have to figure out how to get a "new smell" air freshener.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #36

Illinois
getting the next thing ready

Finally got the shipment of epoxy, so tomorrow will be the next thing on the floor. I plan on glass and epoxy over the wood, to keep it trouble free. I also cut up all the scraps of FG I had laying around and put them into the edges and will fill the edges with epoxy as I put the FG on the floor. That will give me some extra strength, and will fix the places that had cracked on the frame over the years. Took out one window, and will take out the rest after I finish with the epoxy. I think I will get the outside ready to paint next, since the days are moving towards winter. Would be nice to get it painted the first week in Oct. so if we decide to take off, it looks okay.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-20 19.41.52.jpg   2017-09-20 19.40.49.jpg  

Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #37

Illinois
Will put all the windows back it after painting.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-20 19.42.02.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #38

Illinois
floor coated

Put an extra layer of FG mat on the floor over the wood, and sealed everything with epoxy -- filled the spaces around the edges with epoxxy and spare FG I was amazed how much expoxy I used to get all this done. I am really looking forward to standing on it and seeing how solid it is. We were in a new scamp last June and I was a little surprised by the give in the floor. I added a bit of weight I know, but I think it will be worth it, and I will enjoy the solid feel. I also brought the FG up the sides a little, especially in the center area over the axle. I noticed that there is not a lot of support there, and this will help stiffen it.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-21 13.49.44.jpg   2017-09-21 13.50.02.jpg  

2017-09-21 13.49.38.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #39

OH
Lookin' Good! My guess is you emptied a gallon just into the seams alone. That is one strong egg shell now and.... I bet it floats too!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #40

Illinois
Yes it took a bit... I used 3 1/2 gals on the bottom side, and 4 gals on the top. I was a little surprised by the top.. thought I would have plenty left over when I bought 4 gals. Will order another 2 gals, and see where I end up I think I am feeling good with the FG and will probably try a canoe later this winter. I am surprised by just how strong it is with a mat and epoxy.

Tags
casita