I am Chris from NH looking at ParkLiner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The thing about pretty much any traditional trailer (like an Airstream) is they are wider than most molded fiberglass trailers. And at 22 feet long, only the largest Bigfoot and the largest Oliver have that kind of length.'

So in the end, you end up with a lot more square footage.

Its one reason slide outs are so popular. Yes, they are mechanically complicated and can be a source of leaks, but they make the trailer MUCH wider, and add to the square footage.

FG trailers are an acquired taste. They tend to cost more than the traditional trailers (other than an Airstream), dealers don't carry them (other than Bigfoot), there is a several months long waiting list for each brand, and unless you live near one of the factories, figure a long trip just to get a new trailer.

So I understand why someone would be attracted to an Airstream.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The thing about pretty much any traditional trailer (like an Airstream) is they are wider than most molded fiberglass trailers. And at 22 feet long, only the largest Bigfoot and the largest Oliver have that kind of length.
Our Escape will be 21' 4" long, so that's pretty close to Airstream's 21' 8".

The 22FB's published width is only 7' 3.25". Or, 7' 3 1/4" as the more conventional all-fractional notation would have it.

This appears to be a unique trailer in Airstream's current lineup in this respect. Even the "little" Sport 16 is a full 8' wide. With the exception of the Basecamp, I believe all their other offerings are either 8' or 8' 5 1/2". The narrower width of the 22FB was a big part of the appeal to me.

As vehicles get wider, it takes more concentration to handle narrow old bridges and skinny highways. I don't know if it's just my imagination or if more people are now driving larger vehicles than they know how to handle, but I seem to find more and more vehicles creeping over on on my side of the center line.

I was grateful last month for the full size (dually?) pickup driver who was on a stretch the historic Columbia River highway, driving with his mirrors folded in. The "guardrails" there are low basalt walls and everyone tends to maintain a goodly shy-distance away from them. In this case, I'm not sure that I would have cleared if he didn't have his mirrors in.

The bridge across the Columbia at Hood River is another skinny one.

I think I can handle a larger vehicle and/or trailer, (don't we all? ), but personally I like having the extra grace of a skinnier trailer and being able to use my stock mirrors. It's more relaxing.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #23

Name: Chris
Trailer: Looking
NH
We did end up buying a bigger Tow Vehicle too. A 2017 Toyota Tundra.

A little bigger then we expected but it gives us some flexibility moving forward and plenty of power to handle NH hills.

FGs are surprisingly rare in the Northeast. I am hoping the Lil Guy RV dealer in Rutland, VT decides to carry ParkLiner just so I can check one out.

See you out there.
Chris
Chris W. in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #24

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W. in NH View Post
We did end up buying a bigger Tow Vehicle too. A 2017 Toyota Tundra.

A little bigger then we expected but it gives us some flexibility moving forward and plenty of power to handle NH hills.

FGs are surprisingly rare in the Northeast. I am hoping the Lil Guy RV dealer in Rutland, VT decides to carry ParkLiner just so I can check one out.

See you out there.
Chris
Hi Chris,

I am selling my 2017 Parkliner, the ad is on the Classifieds, and it is located in South Carolina. The reason I am selling it is this was my first camper and I found that I do not like towing or backing up. I'm 63 years old, and it is a struggle for me to do all the hook ups and unhooking. I'm looking to get a Class B or a small Class C. I am retired, but my husband still works, so I go on my own a few times. I've mostly had it out on weekends with my hubby, and a week at Disney World, FL. Just got back from a 4 day camping trip in Georgia with Sisters on the Fly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Parkliner, and it does tow easily, but I would feel more confident with a Class B or a small Class C.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Thing that really helped me hooking up is a backup camera. It turned out our 2010 F150 has one built in. It took me a while to understand what I was looking at, but the camera is perfectly aimed to see the hitch ball and the trailer's hitch. I can now hook up solo, no problem. It was the one thing holding me back from camping by myself.

The screen on my backup camera is really tiny. Newer Fords (and other vehicles too) have much better screens now.

No RV is perfect for all travel. If we are just heading to Florida for the winter, staying put in one spot, then a big fifth wheel would be ideal. If we are heading to Alaska, camping at a different spot every night, then a Class B motorhome would be ideal. If we want to head west for a month, stopping for 3 or 4 days, then heading to the next location, then our Escape is ideal.

Molded fiberglass trailers are pretty rare everywhere. The average RV buyer does not appreciate the advantages of a molded trailer, so unwilling to pay the price. My RV friends are shocked how expensive molded trailers are.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Chris, This is a KOA camp and the campground will have the rec director working, In fact she's the gal who will be give our Spring Flingers a paint class. She is great for the Kids all week end long
Hope to see you.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #27

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
I had a backup camera installed so I can see the coupler line up with the ball. I had another camera installed on the back of my Parkliner so I can see what's behind me. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford Ranger V6 4L with a tow package installed.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner