Escape 5.0TA storage question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Arizona
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Bob and Julie Send a message via MSN to Bob and Julie Send a message via Yahoo to Bob and Julie
Escape 5.0TA storage question

My wife and and I are considering upgrading from our Casita and have done an exhaustive search of all the S.O.B. trailers. The quality is really disappointing or they are too heavy for a comfortable towing experience. Leaving the fiberglass community would be hard for us because the Casita has been such an amazing camper. I am also very leery of the membrane roofs, especially here in the PNW.

Our biggest issue (other than living space) with the Casita is lack of outside storage. The pass through storage of the S.O.B.'s is really convenient. The introduction of the Escape 5.0TA has really caught my attention, it really looks like a slick outfit. But what about storage? I would love to able to leave chairs, small tables, ect. in the basement storage, but it doesn't have one. The hitch will take up a fair amount of bed space, and it is no longer secure while traveling. So to those who have a 5.0TA or are familiar with it, how do you store all the stuff? Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
We have an Escape 5.0 (currently for sale) which we tow with a Ford F150. We have a plastic storage container (about 4' by 2' and as deep as the pickup box). I holds our barbeque, two small chairs, hydraulic jack, outdoor mat, and other odds and ends. It can be locked with a small pad lock but we don't bother. The two larger chairs (I think they are called gravity chairs or something like that) are strapped to the pickup bed between the hitch and the tailgate (depends on how far back your hitch is mounted). Leveling blocks, wheel chocks etc. ride on each side between the hitch and the bed sides. The propane fireplace and the extra 20lb propane tank ride beside the plastic bin up front. I have a bicycle rack (for two bikes) above the plastic bin behind the rear window of the pickup. I can slide the bin back to get stuff out without removing the bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
011.JPG  
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Are you sure that the Escape 5.0 TA doesnt have an outside storage or that it can't be ordered? Someone posted a photo on the Escape Forum of one under the front of the trailer - looks really large. The thread is called "The Big Easy has landed:- Post 16 has photos of it.

Edit to add: there are also small storage hatches on both sides of the front. Also a 3rd on the rear passenger side is optional.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Julie View Post
My wife and and I are considering upgrading from our Casita and have done an exhaustive search of all the S.O.B. trailers. The quality is really disappointing or they are too heavy for a comfortable towing experience. Leaving the fiberglass community would be hard for us because the Casita has been such an amazing camper. I am also very leery of the membrane roofs, especially here in the PNW.

Our biggest issue (other than living space) with the Casita is lack of outside storage. The pass through storage of the S.O.B.'s is really convenient. The introduction of the Escape 5.0TA has really caught my attention, it really looks like a slick outfit. But what about storage? I would love to able to leave chairs, small tables, ect. in the basement storage, but it doesn't have one. The hitch will take up a fair amount of bed space, and it is no longer secure while traveling. So to those who have a 5.0TA or are familiar with it, how do you store all the stuff? Thanks
Hi: Bob and Julie... I've had both a 5.0 and now a 5.0TA. You're right you can't have a pass thru basement storage... but you can have a lower sleeker more fuel efficient RV.
There is more lockable storage in the 5.0TA. My pricey S/S Spitfire 180 Grill fits up front and all hoses cables and mats fit in the optional rear hatch. Chairs tables etc go in the truck box under the attached tonneau cover.
It really depends on what you want!!! A trailer you can take all your stuff in... or one you can take a few things that fit the space you have.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140604_153001.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Bob and Julie Send a message via MSN to Bob and Julie Send a message via Yahoo to Bob and Julie
Thanks to everyone for the replies. One more question, is there any under the bed storage? Often times a dedicated bed will be hinged to lift up on the front for additional space. Thanks, Bob
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Registry
Hi: Bob and Julie... The 60X80" Queen sized mattress is placed directly on the carpeted/insulated sub floor. There is no other platform for it. The only storage is accessed by the exterior hatch, behind the top step... above the gas bottles, and under the interior hinged middle and bottom steps. There's also an exterior access hatch to the space under the drawer that's quite tall. We've still not filled that one yet!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030665.jpg   P1030667.jpg  

Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Thank you Alf S. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully we can make it up to the factory and see one in person.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Thank you Alf S. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully we can make it up to the factory and see one in person.
Hi: Bob and Julie... You can also call ETI @ 1-855-703-1650 and ask if some one has a 5.0TA nearest to your location. That's how we first saw a 5.0 in 2007. We bought that trailer in 2008 and never looked back!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1000279.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If your free this week-end take a little drive to Silver Falls State park where the Fall NOG is taking place and you will see one or two?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just got back from Fall NOG. There's so much storage in Ten Forward, it took me three days to find the box of Kleenex I KNEW I had packed.

I've got the two 6v batteries, they're in the rear dinette cabinets (u-shape dinette). The entire passenger side dinette cabinet is completely empty. If you get the u-shape dinette, you could get the rear hatch too and have PLENTY of room for all that extra exterior storage you're looking for.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Thanks Donna, we would get the u-dinette. I think we need to see one in person. We went to the RV show in Tacoma this weekend, there isn't much to like!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
So I was looking in my tow vehicle owners manual and it says that it was not intended or designed to haul a 5th wheel. My vehicle is a "heavy half" 1500 Sierra so it is more than capable. My concern would be insurance in case of an accident. It may be an excuse to not to cover or drop our policy. I guess a call to USAA will be required.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

British Columbia
On the one hand, I'm pretty sure that when GM wrote the manual they weren't thinking about a 2600 lb Escape 5th wheel trailer. However on the other hand it would be interesting to know if the owners' manual for almost any truck towing an Escape 5th wheel (given that almost all are medium sized pickups) also have that disclaimer. My '08 F150 is out getting a new windshield right now so I can't check, but I will when I get it home. Just checked - the Ford F150 (1/2 ton) manual does acknowledge towing a 5th wheel trailer. Wonder why a GM can't?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a 2011 silverado 5.3 8 cylinder 3.42. I towed a new 5TA all the way from British Columbia to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and it towed great. We had a 17B escape that we traded in. We love the 5TA. I'm surprised by your comments on the manual and towing. I looked it up before we purchased ours, I looked it up in the on line manual, and it gave the weight numbers for 5th wheel trailers etc.
I am very confident you would have no problem, the 5TA tows as well as our 17B did and the total length when hooked up is a foot less than the 17. - so it fits in the same parking spaces in a parking lot.
It definitely doesn't fit what the big 5th wheels, with a basement does- we have friends that have one and take pretty much everything you could possibly think of, it's like a shed.
I had a storage box on the front of my 17 and I can certainly fit everything in the storage spaces in the 5TA that was in the trunk.
Min D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
So I was looking in my tow vehicle owners manual and it says that it was not intended or designed to haul a 5th wheel. My vehicle is a "heavy half" 1500 Sierra so it is more than capable. My concern would be insurance in case of an accident. It may be an excuse to not to cover or drop our policy. I guess a call to USAA will be required.
Hi: Bob and Julie... The Nissan Frontier manual gives the same "Not intended" etc!!! I don't think they're acquainted with Escape Trailers. With a 6100# tow capacity I have no problem towing a 3700# 5th. wh.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030900.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #16

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Just curious about these trucks that are not rated for towing 5th wheels -- is it possible that they have composite, plastic or aluminum floors on the truck bed, rather than steel? Clearly, the drivetrain is suitable for towing, but is there a possible question of whether the mounting point can handle the stress?
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Only your mechanic or dealer can answer that or even a hitch installer.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I spoke to the dealer before I went forward with buying one. They sort of chuckled at the weight and said there would be absolutely no problem.
Min D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
The 5th wheel hitch attaches to the frame of the truck, not the bed floor. They actually drill thru the floor to get to the frame rails.

The only truck I'd think might be problematic would be a Honda Ridgeline. I'm not sure they have a frame to attach to - aren't they unibody like cars, vans, etc.?
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #20

British Columbia
We are skirting the salient aspect of this discussion. What would the Insurance Company say or do in the event of an accident? We all know that these vehicles can physically handle the Escape 5th wheel trailers.

Tags
escape