ALERT-STOLEN CASITA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
My 17 ft. Casita Spirit Deluxe was stolen from my driveway East of Dallas Thursday night, Jan. 15, 2009. The Tag number is 599Y5C, Texas. It most noticably has a square aluminum tube riser under the Gas bottles and a broke vent cap above the bathroom,(front left), among others identifiers. I would apreciate any information that can be provided. We really want our "Egg" back.
Reply to 214-662-1176.
Craigslist Notification
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Well that stinks! I hope it is recovered.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #3

Well, I have some very good news. I just heard from the owner of the stolen casita:

Quote:
Hello Greg,
Please help me by adding a follow up to my posting.....the trailer was found today in Tyler Texas in relatively good shape except for the door that was pride open. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up and take it straight to Rice, Tx. for reconditioning.
Thanks again for everyones help,
Jody

I'll fill you in tomorrow night. It was found Tyler, Tx. police I believe. From what I understand, it was going to an auction.
more news later,
Jody
Hopefully, she'll find everything in good shape. Looks like this one has been found.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Glad to hear that they found it!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">GREAT, GREAT NEWS</span>
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am sooooo glad to hear they are getting their Egg back!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
And the rest of the story........???
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I hope Chuck Norris kicked some Varmit Butt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=casita.jpg Views: 29 Size: 14.7 KB ID: 17622" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #9

Here's the reply from Jody when they picked it up today:

Quote:
Good Evening Greg,
Ok, here's today's developments.
We picked our trailer up this morning in Lindale, Tx. (about 100 miles east of home) and took it directly to where all Casita's are "hatched" (Rice, Tx.), another 70 miles away, for the refurbish. Then another 70 miles back home. The worst damage done was to the door frame where they pried it open and the small access panels were pried open also, but they can be fixed. Other than that, everything we had stocked the trailer with (dishes, towels, tv, bedding ..etc.) was gone. That stuff is easily replaced. We're just waiting on insurance to visit Casita. We just feel very fortunate and blessed with the outcome. Thanks to everyone for the support.
We hope to se ya'll out & about.
Jody & Devona
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Coleman
Glad you got it back. I hate people messing with my stuff.

I'm thinking I am going to just put a zip tie over the door and not locking it. I'd rather that that they just cut the zip tie and look inside than pry the door open. No lock, even a heavy hasp with a big padlock and chain around the whole camper can keep someone out if they are willing to do damage.

I am also going to have a sign laminated and hung from the doorknob (English and Spanish) that says,

"Please don't break in. No money, no food, no beer/whiskey, no electronics, no guns, no tools...nothing of value inside. Also, I have cameras hidden throughout the property so I probably have your photograph. Thanks."

There are some very cheap game cameras ($100) and motion sensor alarms ($20) that can be set on the counter and lanyard alarms that can be rigged to the door. So loud that you will not want to be in the trailer with them. I carry one hanging from my rearview (lanyard with alarm and strobe). If someone breaks into my car at night for the radio/sunglasses/radar detector, I think they are very likely to grab the little black box and try to take it with them-surprise! May help for carjacking as well.

For about $100 you can get a Linksys (sp?) motion activated, stand alone, wireless webcamera. The great thing about this is that it will send an image (video or still) to your yahoomail (or other mail) so you have an image of the theif stored offsite. They can steal your trailer, your camera, everything, and you still have their picture stored at some remote location. The camera has a large, blue, LED on the front so they know they are on candid camera. I have mine pointed to the front door and mounted inside the window. Everyone notices it when they walk up.

I've got a pretty cheap home alarm system (under $1000) at my home that is entirely wireless (no installation mess) with perimeter security, motion sensors, fire/smoke sensors, freeze sensors, water leak sensors, and carbon monoxide sensors. The system calls my blackberry when something is activated and lets me know which alarm it is. On top of that, I've got the cheap stand-alone motion sensor alarms. Those are just for distraction to keep the theif from going straight to the "real" alarm system and disabling it. The "real" system is silent in the house. (GE-Simon).

All told, someone would have to be pretty drunk or stupid to hang around long. I figure that one break in would cost me $1000 easily. Also, I got an engraver and everything has my drivers license number hidden somewhere on it and a couple of identifying marks on the front (very subtle) so I can spot it at a pawn shop.

Anyway, glad you got it back. Time for my medicine now....

Tom
Tom B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Remember the old saw " Locks are for the honest people"!!! Glad to hear your "EGG" is back. Now you have to deal with "The Ins. Co."
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita