front bunk size, Scamp 13 vs Casita 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Hello to all,

This spring or summer I planning to buy either a Scamp 13 or a Casita 13. Been over the specs and am weighing the pros and cons. One consideration is the size of the front bed. I know I'll be sleeping in it from time to time. (I think I'll just take off the top bunk/backrest part to make it less closed in.) The Casita people say the Casita front bed is 27 inches wide and I think the Scamp is 30 inches but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

I live about 16 hours closer to Casita so that's a factor, but I might be willing to go to Minnesota for 3 more inches of bedspace.... especially if I'm required to go camping up North for a week in order to get them.

Having gone to a Casita rally last fall, and being an avid reader of the forum, I'm hooked. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the two trailers.

Thanks,

Karen M
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Karen,

There is a 2008 Scamp 13 for sale not too far from you if it is still available, that is only 3 months old and you could save a ton of money over getting one from the factory, plus save all the driving.

2008 Scamp 13

If nothing else, you could go see it and see if it would work for you.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
The Boler (Scamp is a Boler clone) front bed (i.e. couch base) is just barely 28" at the center, which is the widest, so I'd probably say 27" Definitely not 30"

I agree that if you remove the backrest (upper bunk), which on the Boler is a matter of six screws and about five minutes, the front bed seems roomier (although not as comfortable for day sitting). It's not really any wider that way [edited to add: than it would be with the back cushion out of the way in "upper bunk" position], but certainly more airy.

Just for specs' sake, I think the Trillium 1300 front bed (couch base) is about the same 27" (although it carries its width further to the ends); the Trillium 4500 has a 30" front bed (couch base).
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Karen,

You'd have no problem sleeping on the couch with the couch back off. I've taken the couch back off because I wanted more room and use throw pillows in place of the couch back. I don't sleep on it as I store things on the end of the couch that is by the stove.

I just measured the cushions which are stored in my spare bedroom. I get 27". 21 for the main cushion and 6 for the banana cushion, which is a filler behind the couch back. The one difference that I love is a screen door. Casita wasn't putting them on their 13 or 16 footers last I heard. Scamp does. I love having the screen door.

Casita is a spin off of Scamp and there is very little difference between the 13 and 16 of each company. The major difference is the bath tub bottom section of the shell, which in my mind isn't a big deal and must be the cause for Casita's weighing more than Scamps.

They are both great trailers, you pick.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ditto what Joy says.

Either my shorter than average husband or my 5'2 self sleep comfortably, but Fred did say how huge the back is when we switched sleeping spots.

We also have the back removed and then I made new foam that fits without the dumb banana thing, used half of a queen foam thingy. The other 31 or so inches I used to make a topper for the larger dinette.

It is not 30 inches at the widest, closer to the 27. Have seen a mod where someone made it a bit wider at the door side for night. Just remember that the hip area is the wide area. Maybe would be more of a problem for man with wide shoulders.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Thanks for the replies. That takes one question off my list. The differences seem a matter of details... 13 vs 14 inch tires, location of AC, crank open vs sliding windows. My dad grew up on Lake Superior and a trip up there in the middle of the Texas heat is actually pretty appealing.

Greg, I have been checking out all the referrals you have posted in my area... the older ones were w/in 2 hours and I've seen them, but needed help beyond my skill level... like new axles!! The newer Scamp is about 10 hours away and doesn't have AC or the roof reinforcement. Still thinking about who I could get to add AC in the closet or front and since most of my extended camping time is in summer I'm not willing to go without.

Nancy... love the foam idea. Thought I would leave the bed down in back anyway.

Great forum; everyone so generous. Hope to see you on the road!

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't know about Casita, but Scamp will substitute windows if you ask for it -- They are very amenable to changes of that sort -- It really just depends on whether the windows are still being made.

Scamp was the clone of Boler and Casita was the clone of Scamp, so all have a lot in common, esp in the 13' models.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Karen,

You mention leaving the bed down in the back. That's exactly what I've done. The dinette has never been made up as a dinette it's always been a bed.

The reason the cushions are stored in the bedroom is because I took them out of the Scamp and made a permanent bed. I ordered memory foam and cut it to fit. Had just enough foam to replace the couch cushion also. A friend made me a cover for the foam.

I love having a permanent bed, an actual mattress and not feeling the joints of the dinette cushions.

Plus the memory foam is soooooooooooo comfortable.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp