The Birth of Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
The Birth of Casita

In July of 1971, in Minnesota, Duane Eveland was involved in remodeling damaged mobile homes. A factory representative from the “Boler American” franchisee stopped by to ask Duane if he would like to manufacture trailers for Boler*. The Boler* trailer was designed in Canada and Boler American was a company attempting to develop the US market. Duane was interested and together with his brother Gerald Eveland and sister Gladys Coffland, they negotiated a contract with Boler American in which Eveland’s Inc. would manufacture trailers and Boler American would market them. But Boler American had its own problems and went out of business late in 1972. This left Eveland’s Inc. with molds but no marketing company. Duane, Gerald and Gladys decided to build their own trailer. They came up with a new name, Scamp, after using the name Acorn for one year in 1979. Don Eveland, having left the family business, began the Casita line and built the first Casita trailer, based on the Boler* mold, in 1981. The business was moved to Texas, but soon filed for bankruptcy, and its assets purchased several years later by Casita Travel Trailers current owner, John Lang, and moved to Rice Texas.
Parts of this article excerpted from Ian Giles document on boler* history. History of the Boler - Boler-Camping * Technically, “boler” is spelled with a lower case b.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When Casita moved from Backus to Texas, they went to Kerens, Texas... then to Rice.

Check this old ad out.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita_EvelandSales.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
One correction, The original referenced article was written by Tom McMahon, He generously granted permission for me to reproduce his article on my site
History of the Boler – Boler.ca
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes, when would "soon filed for bankruptcy" have been?

"...and its assets purchased several years later by Casita Travel Trailers current owner, John Lang, and moved to Rice Texas"?

Pretty sure my 1989 Casita was from Kerens. I don't have it anymore so I can't check, but I recall being surprised it was from Kerens, not Rice.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
There is considerable folklore on what the connections are between the manufacturers. I appreciate this clarification.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This is from the Casita faq. Got to wonder why they say that. Especially in light of Donna's post.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180316_120333.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

Denver, CO
Raz, Others may know. I recall that Casita FAQ. I would conclude that relations between Casita and Scamp are not too amicable. They do chase the same customers, even though both are at capacity.

Perhaps Don Eveland, who went to Texas acquired his molds from Boler, or Boler's bankruptcy. I am speculating. But in that case, Casita would have no connection to Scamp, making Casita's statement technically correct, even though Don was an Eveland. I welcome correction or clarification.

I bet Thanksgiving Dinners were interesting while Don owned Casita, and other Eveland's owned Acorn-Scamp.

PS, A closer look at Donna's ad shows Eveland Sales Inc, which is not quite the same as Eveland's, Inc the name they use today. Just like a web address, it does matter. Donna's ad does suggest that Casita was associated with Eveland Sales Inc, and that my speculation above in this post is probably incorrect.
Now whether Casita can claim not to be a spinoff of "Scamp", may still be a technicality, or a fib. The name Eveland Sales Inc now belongs to a used car lot in AZ. I have no idea if that played any role in the name Eveland's Inc. ended up using.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp
New York
We have a Scamp built in March 1973. I read somewhere that Eveland used the name Acorn only 1 year, and began using the name Scamp in 1972.
mccownw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Wow, thanks all. Wonderful information and documentation. I'd heard a few rumors about the historic connection to Scamp, but not to Boler. Love that ad Donna.
Note the claimed weight of 950 lb. Roughly half the weight of current 13ers. There'd be a lot of interest in a trailer with that weight. Towable by almost anything bigger than a Smart Car.

Walt
Old 03-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I reread this and maybe I missed it but what relationship is Don to Duane E. and the other E's.

Are the Evelands' still alive?

I vaguely remember someone saying that Lane's daughter(s) now run Casita.

Here is an interesting time line:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/top...casitas/page-2
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
as in all families

it is hard to run any business with family involved. although they are related they still compete with each other and I bet family dinners if there are any are no doubt strained.

2 good companies of one I like it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

Denver, CO
Below is a link to Duane Eveland's obituary from Sept. 4, 2016. It describes him as founder of Scamp, along with brother Gerald and sister Gladys.

The obituary lists a brother Don, living in Backus, MN. I saw no other relatives named Don. If that brother founded Casita, it appears he made his way back to MN.

PS, Rzrbrn's link in post 10 above is interesting. It was as of 2006.

https://minnesota.funeral.com/2016/0...ane-eveland-3/
Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #13

Tennessee
This is a really interesting information, thanks Kenvin K for posting.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #14

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
My brand new history of the boler trailer (with references to Scamp and the Evelands) is here:

History of the Boler - Boler-Camping
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #15

Tennessee
You are all wrong.

I was sitting by my campfire, threw in a handfull of dried mushrooms...er...herbs...and had a revelation.

The Great Snow Goose was flying north when she stopped off in MN and pooped. Locals noticed and Said “What a SCAMP”.

Sometime later the Great Snow Goose was flying south and stopped off for a bite of some Rice in Tx. The locals were in awe of the hughness of the bird they said hence forth we shall build a town here and it shall be called Rice.

Then they noticed on the outskirts of town a big beautiful egg. And the locals exclaimed “Oh, La” we shall put it in a chassis with an axle and it shall be Called Casita!

I own a Casita. The smoke from the campfire did get in my eyes, so it may be the Snow Goose laid the egg in Backus and pooped in Rice, but that does not seem reasonable, all things considered.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Some of the information presented here is correct, but some is not.

I'm currently working on a new publication titled "The History of Casita" that will tell the real story. I hope to have it published within the next few months. Until my my research is complete, for now, let me just say...

Scamp and Casita are connected only by Donald L. Eveland and two other employees who left Scamp to build Casitas.

The molds used to make Casitas did not come from Boler nor Scamp.

Casita never filed bankruptcy, and it was not John Lang who purchased the assets.

Eileen
Love My Casita
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Eileen, when do you foresee your publication to be released? Interesting stuff.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Eileen View Post
Some of the information presented here is correct, but some is not.

I'm currently working on a new publication titled "The History of Casita" that will tell the real story. I hope to have it published within the next few months. Until my my research is complete, for now, let me just say...

Scamp and Casita are connected only by Donald L. Eveland and two other employees who left Scamp to build Casitas.

The molds used to make Casitas did not come from Boler nor Scamp.

Casita never filed bankruptcy, and it was not John Lang who purchased the assets.

Eileen
Love My Casita
"Eileen, when do you foresee your publication to be released? Interesting stuff."

Sigh!!
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #19

Name: Joanie
Trailer: Casita SD 2015
Texas
Berth of Casta

John and Connie Lang established Casita in the 80’s in Kerens, Texas. (Where I first saw one and instantly wanted one). Later moved the business to Rice.
The Lang’s are a wonderful family, and their business is a good, honest company that do their best to help owners, potential owners, and wanna-be owners.
https://businessviewmagazine.com/cas...ravel-trailer/
JoanieMilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
"Eileen, when do you foresee your publication to be released? Interesting stuff."

Sigh!!
Hey Walt! Been awhile since I last saw you in Quartzsite.

It'll be at least another two months before the new publication is ready since it not only will tell the story of how Casita began and succeeded, but will also include photos that cover the last 40 years.

Every time I think I'm close to being finished with the narrative, my interviews turn up new details and individuals who were critical to the story, leading to more research, writing, and rewriting. It's been like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Timelines, verifying dates, and cross-referencing take time, and I want to be sure I get it right. But I can tell you for sure, it's been a lot more intriguing than I expected!

Eileen
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita