Replacing Rear Window In Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Replacing Rear Window In Casita

I made the decision to dispense with the rear window mounted air conditioner in my 86 Casita. It has the rear window with three fixed panes of glazing. The center panel had the air conditioner was mounted in it so is missing. Looking at the other fixed windows in the trailer, it looks like the OEM glaze mounting was via an extruded rubber gasket. My question for you today, does anyone know the rubber profile of this gasket and where it might be purchased? I plan to use lexan for the replacement window. If anyone out there has done this mod, I would love to hear from you. My trailer rebuild is getting close to being going on the road so this window replacement is immanent.

Thanks!
Mike
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I got mine searching the internet. I will try and find it again and post back when I do. It comes in 15 and 25 feet I think, and 15 isn't long enough to go all the way around, unless you are going to only do the inside where the A/C was. I did the whole thing, single window. I also replaced with Lexan. Made the mistake of getting a plastic type like lexan that was not see-through, so I had a second change to cut and fit
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I got mine searching the internet. I will try and find it again and post back when I do. It comes in 15 and 25 feet I think, and 15 isn't long enough to go all the way around, unless you are going to only do the inside where the A/C was. I did the whole thing, single window. I also replaced with Lexan. Made the mistake of getting a plastic type like lexan that was not see-through, so I had a second change to cut and fit
Thanks for your reply Eric. I am keeping the original aluminum frame with the two side windows intact. The center window where the air conditioner popped through is the only window I hope to replace. If I remember right, you went directly from the fiberglass body to the lexan via the extruded rubber. Correct? I am instead going from the aluminum frame to a single sheet of lexan via some kind of extruded rubber. There is about a 1/4" channel around my window frame. I am hoping to find some kind of rubber that would fit that channel that would morph into a slot for whatever size lexan between 1/8" and 1/4". I am waiting to buy the lexan until I get the seal. I have been looking online but have yet seen exactly what I am looking for.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Look on the website of perfectfit.com. We Uhaul owners buy a rubber weatherstrip there to install our side windows. But those have rounded corners, and I suspect you are working with square corners, so may not work for you. May be worth a look.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Look on the website of perfectfit.com. We Uhaul owners buy a rubber weatherstrip there to install our side windows. But those have rounded corners, and I suspect you are working with square corners, so may not work for you. May be worth a look.
That is a great resource. Thanks! Unfortunately the minimum quantity is 50 ft. I only need about 8 ft. tops. But looking at the profiles, I did see another way to look at it. Instead of thinking of my frame in the terms of only a 1/4" channel, I could look at the outside edge of that channel as as a 1/16" flange. That will open up a lot of possibilities. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
That is a great resource. Thanks! Unfortunately the minimum quantity is 50 ft. I only need about 8 ft. tops. But looking at the profiles, I did see another way to look at it. Instead of thinking of my frame in the terms of only a 1/4" channel, I could look at the outside edge of that channel as as a 1/16" flange. That will open up a lot of possibilities. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.
If you have found the right size of strip then use their product description keywords and head to Amazon or Ebay. This technique of transplanting the keywords is how I have found smaller quantities of the exact same material.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

California
I found something on Ebay. The total including shipping came to $23 USD. It isn't exactly what I was looking for but I think it will work using the outside edge of the aluminum channel in the window frame as a 1/16" flange. It is a one piece lock design that needs no key to tighten it up around the glazing.

Tags
casita