What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #61

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Yea, what you said👍
Yes I did remove the larger part of back seat to give my dog more room. He's getting old and needs more room to turn around. Put 3" of foam and outdoor carpet down. With his own heat and AC he is living large
That sounds like a great idea. The back area of my SuperCrew is sure BIG. My only issue is that Jasper loves to sit on the back seat, which has Carhartt seat covers and a blanket on it, so he can watch out the window and stick his head out to get air when conditions allow. Fortunately, nearing 10 years old, he can still jump the near 4' up onto it. We usually have the floor area to seat height filled with stuff.

Something to consider, though with a rear cargo box I am building, I will not need that space as much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #62

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That sounds like a great idea. The back area of my SuperCrew is sure BIG. My only issue is that Jasper loves to sit on the back seat, which has Carhartt seat covers and a blanket on it, so he can watch out the window and stick his head out to get air when conditions allow. Fortunately, nearing 10 years old, he can still jump the near 4' up onto it. We usually have the floor area to seat height filled with stuff.

Something to consider, though with a rear cargo box I am building, I will not need that space as much.

Lion, my dog is 95lbs. He's 12 or so, best guess as he's a rescue. I have to lift him into truck now, his jumping days are over but he still loves road trips. As long as my back holds up we are good. When he stands he can look out window. I know he'd like me to cut him a window at floor level but that's a mod I'm resisting.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #63

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A "big" truck in my book is any truck that doesn't fit in a standard garage or parking spot...
Attachment 113813
You see where that yellow line stops?
When angle parking on a public street there ought to be a lane marker line protecting the traffic lane from intrusion from parked vehicles. Also for parallel parking from curb to lane marker.
If you don't fit you don't park,period. Fair enough?

I do like the headlight placement on some of the newer Ford trucks, which brings them down next to the bumper and not at rear window height of an normal crossover or SUV.

These concessions and the offering of smaller trucks would go a long ways toward solving the oversized pickup problem.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #64

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...though with a rear cargo box I am building, I will not need that space as much.
Do a thread on this Jim. Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Do a thread on this Jim. Inquiring minds want to know....
I will do, pretty much done the planning stage, just need to have a meeting with the welder to confirm a few things.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #66
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Canyon/Colorado or F150

From a girl perspective: Happy with my 2017 Canyon 4x4, All Terrain, Off Road diesel that I only use for towing. My everyday car is a big Buick.

I have driven my dh's Sierra gas 2x2 (not as comfortable as a Canyon) and currently driving a borrowed F150 4x4 diesel for the last month (not as comfortable as the Canyon).

-Canyon can tow 7700 lbs. although I am no were near that with my 13 ft. I can't tell it is behind me. It is really easy to drive and I prefer it over my Buick.
-Canyon best millage so far (and towing seems to get better each time I take it out) is 29.9 not towing, 23.7 towing. Driving the F150 around town for the last month not towing I am getting 11.1
-Canyon is quieter than the F150.
-Canyon is easier to drive than the F150 (I've run over the curb 3 times in the past month of driving the F150).
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #67

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot and Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
eco boost vs. Tacoma

I have little to add to this conversation other than the followinf. After 5 Tacomas....2wd, V-6, towing pkg SR5 and TRD I have given up on Tacom. my '16 was a huge disappointment. Consider that I handily pulled a '79 Airstream Safari, 3900 lbs dry, from the Southwest to Montana and back with two grandkids and wife and had no issues or problems avg 65 to 70 mph except when climbing. 3 years later and a new model new engine and new transmission in the '17 Tacoma and I couldn't pull an empty an empty utility traler without the transmission shifting all the time. Before you gest it the EFT switch which is supposed to help with trailer towing is a wasted.

Fast forward to this past September and I bought an F15, 4 door, ecoboost 3.5 and 10 speed and I couldn't be happier. Empty and not towing the avg
mpg is about the same to slightly better. just finished a trip to Albuquerque, I 25, speed set at 75 and monitor says I avg 24.7 mpg. Nover got that with the Tacoma. Around town I am 17.5 to 18...the Tacoma might have been a bit better. I tow a Bigfoot 17 and get 17 to 20 on the highway.

Say what you want about it being an oversized, Old man's truck, but I'll keep it until I see what the new Ranger is like..... but I doubt they will beat the performance of this truck.

OK, my rant is done
Oh and I doubt I paid anywhere near what I would have for a Colorado diesel.
Apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #68

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
I have driven my dh's Sierra gas 2x2 (not as comfortable as a Canyon) and currently driving a borrowed F150 4x4 diesel for the last month (not as comfortable as the Canyon).
Where did your friend get an F150 Diesel? They're not available until spring of next year.

There's alot to be said for a mid-sized truck: easy to drive, easier to park, etc. But claiming that a Canyon is more comfortable than my F150 is - how do I put this - ludicrous. Today's F150 rivals a luxury car for driving comfort, and is quiet too. And mine gets 25 1/2 mpg - not 11.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
...There's alot to be said for a mid-sized truck: easy to drive, easier to park, etc. But claiming that a Canyon is more comfortable than my F150 is - how do I put this - ludicrous. Today's F150 rivals a luxury car for driving comfort, and is quiet too. And mine gets 25 1/2 mpg - not 11.
"Ludicrous" is a strong word, Robert, and I'm not sure it allows for the subjective nature of comfort. Some like it soft, some like it firm. Some like it snug, some like it roomy. Some like road feel, some like isolation. And so on...

I think we can agree that in general, newer trucks are more comfortable than their predecessors, and that's true across all size/weight classes. Ought to be, given what they cost.

For me, an SUV or van has lots more interior space and comfort (especially in the back seats) compared to any truck, a much smaller footprint, and in many cases, a more palatable price tag. When I really need that open cargo bed, I hook up a utility trailer, which carries more and is easier to load than a pickup truck. The only thing an SUV or van can't do is pull a small, molded fifth wheel, which is about the only reason I would ever consider another truck.

But if a truck is what you like, that's a subjective preference, too!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #70

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
"Ludicrous" is a strong word, Robert, and I'm not sure it allows for the subjective nature of comfort.
Fair enough, Jon. You're right, comfort is subjective. But I can guarantee one thing: my F150 is definitely more comfortable than the F150 diesel mentioned above - because it doesn't exist.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #71

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
[emoji106]
Very nice photography, Cliff! Although your subject got away with sticking a tongue out at you...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #72

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I always read " BIG " truck on this and other FG trailer forums
What is a " BIG" truck ? Why is TRUCK a swear word ?
To me a "BIG" truck is a 53 ft , 18 wheel semi truck.
My buddy once owned a Ford F250 crew cab dually with an 8 ft box. (Purchased from a RR )
His truck was close to being a big truck but did not quite.qualify.

There are many small vehicles that are capable of towing 5000 lbs and most FG trailers but they don't appeal to us.
I accept the fact that some people have an aversion to big , overly large full size trucks , I just wish others would accept my aversion to small , cramped , uncomfortable vehicles that require a trip to the chiropractor everytime you CRAWL out of the vehicle.

My last point is , Who realistically expects to get 30 or 40 MPG'S
towing a 3500 lb trailer up the side of the Rockies ?
It seems that many in their insatiable search for fuel economy are willing to tow with an underrated tow vehicle in hope of reaching Nirvana
SAFETY BE DAMMED !

"NO" , Floyd , I am not saying you need a one ton , diesel , dually ,
truck to pull your 13 ft Scamp DLX !
Steve, you should get a Peterbilt or Volvo or similar. Hard to beat the comfort of these big over-the-road trucks during a long trip, wherein you can actually stand up and stretch while driving! Or so my buddy, Tony, a hotshot trucker, tells me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #73

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax

Another vote for the F-150 here. We bought a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew and have towed our previous Escape 17 and current Escape 19 over 30,000 miles in all manner of terrain, over hill and dale, and I have done so with a permagrin, because Ford has really nailed it with this truck. I have a few niggling annoyances with the truck, eg how it autodetects when a trailer is attached, but doesn’t automatically turn that off when you detach the trailer; or how it doesn’t memorize transmission mode eg the excellent Tow Mode, but instead you must press a button to turn it on every time you start the vehicle.

We bought the F150 for one simple reason: in 2016 when we bought it, it was the *only* pickup sold in the US, by any manufacturer, that was a Recommended Buy by Consumer Reports.

This was actually a big deal for us as my father in law is a retired GM guy, and how shall I say, anything made by anyone else is taboo. My wife gnashed her teeth when I showed her all the reports from CR, and we had to dance the family politics. But it was definitely worth it. Great truck. A keeper. Comfortable. Fun to drive. Hauls anything with ease and gets very reasonable mileage. And it has literally saved our bacon on two occasions when operator judgment failed.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #74

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Scott, my feelings about the same truck, mine is 2015. Having to turn on the tow.haul mode fevery time starting is a pain and I have forgotten to do so on more than one occasion. Also unplugging the trailer having to push a few buttons to get out of the trailer connected/disconnected mode is not fun.

Otherwise we love our F150 2.7EB and although have only 33000 km on it probably 75% of that is towing our 5.0 and always have great power for the mountains, and the tow haul mode is wonderful on downhill, often shifting right done to 2nd and not having to touch the brakes most of the time. Of course the back up camera is not helpful for hooking up the fiver but have hooked up to son's boat trailer and car hauler a couple of times and have stopped with ball lined up perfectly without help other than the camera.

I didn't know that the 2016 F150 was recommended by Consumer Reports.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #75

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
like your thinking

jon we both pull the same rig I am in your camp but I have a ford f150 2003 year it sets in the garage rarely used.

it has 175k on it and runs like a champ but I just cannot get used to driving a pickup truck. I have had 3 of them for some reason they wear me out driving them.

now at 75 oh I am not supposed to say that my trucking days are over I guess I need to let it go along with a bunch of other stuff. it is really hard to start thinking in that direction.

I do agree that an suv is better but I am glad for what anyone thinks they like the best!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #76

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Very nice photography, Cliff! Although your subject got away with sticking a tongue out at you... [emoji38]tu
[emoji106][emoji41]
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #77

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Having to turn on the tow.haul mode fevery time starting is a pain and I have forgotten to do so on more than one occasion. Also unplugging the trailer having to push a few buttons to get out of the trailer connected/disconnected mode is not fun.
That's interesting Adrian. While I've also forgotten to select Tow/Haul mode a few times, I soon remember to select it when we hit some hilly terrain. As for having to push buttons for the trailer connected/disconnected "mode", ours seems to work automatically.

Tags
eco