Lil Snoozy peek?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: T@B
Texas
Lil Snoozy peek??

Hi all, we are new here! We are very interested in the Lil Snoozy but are in Texas. Would there be someone out there that perhaps owns one closer to us that wouldn't mind us having a peek before we think seriously about ordering? We have looked at it and the 16' Scamp (which we are also trying to get a look at - but when we see one listed it's gone before we get a chance ha)

Looking forward to all we can learn on this group
Laura
LauraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Odd Couple?

Welcome, Laura!

If you don't get any offers here, I know Scamp has a referral program, and I suspect Lil Snoozy might, too. Their sales department sets you up with a nearby owner willing to give you a tour. No obligation to purchase, but if you do, the owner gets a small bonus. Win-win.

I am curious though... Many people cross-shop Scamp and Casita, but this seems an unusual match-up. They are about as different as two molded fiberglass trailers can possibly be. What led you to these two?

Scamp: old-school design, side entry, traditional lined single-wall shell, treated OSB subfloor, riveted fiberglass cabinetry, propane/electric appliances, small (45"x76") convertible main bed, flush toilet with black tank, electric brakes, painted steel frame, compact size, limited headroom, lighter weight

Lil Snoozy: new design, rear entry, double-layer honeycomb core unlined shell, full fiberglass bathtub floor, bonded wood cabinetry, electric-only appliances, large (60"x80") permanent main bed, cassette toilet, hydraulic surge brakes, galvanized frame, larger size, more headroom, heavier weight

Have you looked at Escape? An Escape 17 would be an in-between choice, size-wise, and combines some of the best attributes of both. Not to discourage you from either Scamp or Lil Snoozy- they're all great trailers, just different.

And the obvious, as you're in Texas- Casita... no?

Best wishes finding the one that's perfect for you!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Best feature, in my opinion, is the wide aisle width. Important if you have big dogs!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Name: B. E.
Trailer: still hoping and praying
Texas
Smile Lil Snoozy

With our precious United States going to h#!! in a handbasket I chose a Lil Snoozy because of the many features which allow to go off grid with their options ie: solar etc.
I too am just a few hours away from Castia but Lil Snoozy remains my first choice, too many better features to mention (for me). Don't be in a hurry, take your time, find out which is better for YOU. Prov. 11:14
B. E. Neis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: LeaAnn
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Texas
Living in Texas

Hello Laura!

There are several LilSnoozy owners living in Texas. What area do you live? My husband and I just showed off our "Belle" to a nice gentlemen from Mexico, (moving back to the USA ). If you are in my area,my husband and I would be honored.

You might want to also check the forum with LilSnoozy owners website. You might get more information.

LeaAnn
LeaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Interesting comparison, thanx

These notes are rare to find for anyone shopping. This kind of comparison can become confusing when shoppers are leading with their hearts and not their minds and fall in love with fit/finish and fail to notice important differences. Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Laura!

If you don't get any offers here, I know Scamp has a referral program, and I suspect Lil Snoozy might, too. Their sales department sets you up with a nearby owner willing to give you a tour. No obligation to purchase, but if you do, the owner gets a small bonus. Win-win.

I am curious though... Many people cross-shop Scamp and Casita, but this seems an unusual match-up. They are about as different as two molded fiberglass trailers can possibly be. What led you to these two?

Scamp: old-school design, side entry, traditional lined single-wall shell, treated OSB subfloor, riveted fiberglass cabinetry, propane/electric appliances, small (45"x76") convertible main bed, flush toilet with black tank, electric brakes, painted steel frame, compact size, limited headroom, lighter weight

Lil Snoozy: new design, rear entry, double-layer honeycomb core unlined shell, full fiberglass bathtub floor, bonded wood cabinetry, electric-only appliances, large (60"x80") permanent main bed, cassette toilet, hydraulic surge brakes, galvanized frame, larger size, more headroom, heavier weight

Have you looked at Escape? An Escape 17 would be an in-between choice, size-wise, and combines some of the best attributes of both. Not to discourage you from either Scamp or Lil Snoozy- they're all great trailers, just different.

And the obvious, as you're in Texas- Casita... no?

Best wishes finding the one that's perfect for you!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Laura, For what it's worth, the rear entrance of the Snoozy has its advantages for hauling longer things things like kayaks, bicycles and pole tents (load straight in length-wise), protected inside the camper while traveling, versus side entrances where long things often can't make the 90 degree turn on entering the camper. Just something else to think about....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #8

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Another benefit to rear entrance-it's 28" wide and can have an optional ramp made for big dogs and/or wheelchair.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Name: SCOTTIE
Trailer: Lil Snoozy on order
Nevada
Registry
Hi, I am new and would like to comment on Lil Snoozy Travel Trailer. My Wife & I (both retired) live in Las Vegas and have decided that the Snoozy fits our needs. I flew to S.C. and placed our Snoozy Order on December 7th, 2016. We were told not to expect it to be finished until July. We ordered many options and are quite excited about the Trailer. I had never seen the trailer in person until my visit to the factory. I was hoping I might find an owner that would answer some questions:
1. Are the Surge brakes sufficient in most driving conditions? We have 7 pin connector.
2. If the Base Snoozy weighs 2,650lbs should we add 1,000 more lbs for personal belongings? I really have no idea, but would like to keep weight below 3,000lbs.
3. We are towing Snoozy with electric vehicle. Less weight the more range we have.
Do campgrounds have NEMI 14-50 outlets & NEMI 5-15 outlets at hookup location?
Thank you for any information you would like to share.
ScottieLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Hi Scottie. I have towed a large variety of trailers over the last 48 years, and now have towed our Lil Snoozy 60,000 miles since 2014, and can say that the surge disc brakes work flawlessly. I am so pleased with the seamless operation of the brakes, and hope to never go back to electric brakes. I did connect the reverse lights wire from the tow vehicle to the solenoid on the trailer that blocks out the brakes while backing up, through the 7 pin connector. The Snoozy is so stable that we never experienced any sway, even while passing semi-trucks, cross winds, head winds, etc. I never had our LS weighed, but others have, and loaded for camping 2700-2800lbs was the average range of their trailers. I have found that most RV parks have 20, 30, and 50 amp service available. What brand of electric tow vehicle do you have? Congratulation on your LS purchase.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Nevada
Registry
Lil Snoozy comments & questions

Hi David,
Wow, thank you for answering my questions. I am really happy to hear about the surge brakes. I was a bit concerned about them after talking to others. Snoozy's owner told me the surge brakes were all that we need. As far as that wire from tow vehicle back-up lights, I will deal with it if I have to. I am hoping my Tesla's 7pin connector will have that taken care of. Is this something that all Snoozy owners have to do to block brakes when backing up?
We have been Tesla fans since 2014 and are pulling our new Snoozy with a Model X 90D. This vehicle has a towing package installed and can tow up to 5,000lbs.
It is a heavy vehicle and tops the scales at about 6,000lbs. Here is the part you might find interesting. It has a rated range of 255 miles. I have been reading towing effects range considerably. For example, range will be reduced by head-winds and mountains, and speed. I have read that trailer weight is not as important as aerodynamics when towing with model X. Weight will definitely effect range when towing up a mountain. Long story short, if I keep my speed around 50-55mph we can expect a range reduction of 50% on good terrain with little headwind. Our plans are to stick close to major interstate highways and Tesla Superchargers. I am pleasantly surprised about the weight you mentioned. I was thinking a loaded Snoozy might be more like 3500lbs. I am really happy to hear your 60Kmiles of experience adds up to happiness with Snoozy. I have a few more questions if you would not mind me asking?
Weight will de
Old 12-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Can someone explain the major differences between the toilets found in a Casita/Scamp and Lil Snoozy?
Thanks,
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy peek??

The Snoozy has a cassette toilet. Sort of like a porta-pottie. You remove the tank, transport it to the bathroom and dump it in a toilet or to the dump station. Most trailers have a holding tank and you go to the dump station, connect the waste hose to the trailer, and open the dump valve. I personally would not want to carry the cassette to an appropriate dumping location.

But......the Lil Snoozy is a nice trailer, cassette toilet or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #14

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Thanks, Carl. I suspected as much. . . I like lots of the other options of the Lil Snoozy, but I think the toilet might be a deal breaker for me. I appreciate you taking the time for the explanation.

Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #15

Nevada
Registry
Great Film on Snoozy Thetford Toilet

Hi Tonie,

If you have not seen this video on Lil Snoozy, it does explain the benefits of Optional Thetford Cassette Toilet. My feelings, after having experienced hooking up the dump hose and finding an appropriate dump station this seems much more sanitary. But to each his/her own.

Check out this short youtube video:
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The Snoozy has a cassette toilet. Sort of like a porta-pottie. You remove the tank, transport it to the bathroom and dump it in a toilet or to the dump station. Most trailers have a holding tank and you go to the dump station, connect the waste hose to the trailer, and open the dump valve. I personally would not want to carry the cassette to an appropriate dumping location.

But......the Lil Snoozy is a nice trailer, cassette toilet or not!

We have owned and used our LiL Snoozy going on three years. The cassette toilette is not " sort of like a porta- pottie" . The Toilet works just like a standard RV toilet except you slide the 5 gallon cassette out from outside the trailer. The Snoozy has a hatch in the back. The cassette is sealed and can be dumped in a toilet, dump station etc without the mess of a dump hose. I would never go back to the old system..Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I agree with Charlie. We mostly boondock and so many times our friends are having to break camp to try to look for a place to dump. We simply take the bottom half with us to ANY toilet (rest areas, gas station, visitors center, home, etc.) or dump station. To answer the question "does every Lil Snoozy need to block out the brakes when backing up", the answer is only for DISC breaks, and they can be manually blocked out if desired. When we purchased ours in 2014 wee had a choice of either hydraulic surge disc or surge drum, or your normal electric trailer brakes.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We have owned and used our LiL Snoozy going on three years. The cassette toilette is not " sort of like a porta- pottie" . The Toilet works just like a standard RV toilet except you slide the 5 gallon cassette out from outside the trailer. The Snoozy has a hatch in the back. The cassette is sealed and can be dumped in a toilet, dump station etc without the mess of a dump hose. I would never go back to the old system..Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

For the average person requesting an explanation of a cassette toilet (or in this case an explanation of the differences), a comparison to a Porta-Potty is absolutely appropriate. When it is full, you separate the waste container from the top and as I previously stated, dump it in the appropriate location. A person unfamiliar with a cassette toilet can understand that explanation/comparison. It is certainly more like a Porta-Potty than a "conventional" RV toilet. And cassette toilets require more frequent service because the cassette has to be light enough for the user to remove and transport to a nearby bathroom or to a vehicle for transport to the dump station, so it cannot go as long between emptyings (is that an actual word?) I have friends with a Snoozy and am familiar with its layout, including the location of the cassette. It is the one feature my friend hates because, as he says, he is "more likely to get splashed with unpleasant substances when cleaning the the cassette than when he emptied his previous trailer with a stinky slinky." Having used a Porta-Potty for many years in two Aliners, I can understand. I hated dumping and cleaning the dam thing every couple of days. So I personally would avoid purchasing a trailer with a cassette toilet. I also like having propane and that would rule out the Lil Snoozy for me, even though it has several good points. That's my two cents........but to each their own. If a cassette toilet meets your needs and more importantly your preferences, stick with it.

It would be interesting to see a survey of people who have owned trailers with each type of toilet as to which one they like better.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When I sold my cabin, the porta-potti was included. Never want to see another.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm curious to know if the Tesla can be recharged from 120V? It looks like it normally needs 240V service to recharge the batteries. I don't think you're likely to find campgrounds with 240V. So my next question would be, will this limit you to campgrounds where there's a charging station in the general vicinity or along the route?

As for the cassette toilet vs holding tank discussion, it's totally a matter of personal preference. I've had both and I prefer either a porta-potty or cassette, but I camp alone and I only need to empty one of those devices about once per week. If I had a convenient way to dump a holding tank at my house (when I return from a trip), my feelings might be different.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy