Ideal tow vehicle for towing Scamp 19 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post

I've never known anyone that had 4wd pick-up and regretted it but I have know several that they wished they had bought a 4wd instead of 2wd.
Having had lots of 4wd pickups in fleet, I have never had to regret buying one for myself. The right choice for me has always been 2wd.
I knew a Ford dealer who had four 4wd trucks languishing on his lot for months, first 2" snowfall and he sold all four in two days. Clearly these purchases were impulsive and irrational, the very type of purchase which leads to regrets!
Plan ahead, think twice, buy once. That's the way to avoid regrets.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
With a smaller truck you can not go to a larger camper. With a larger truck your options are not limited.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #43

Registry
Attachment 100614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
With a smaller truck you can not go to a larger camper. With a larger truck your options are not limited.
Like this?
(I tend to prefer the right sized tool for the job)
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #44

Floyd just went off the deep end.
When it comes to pickup trucks, the Silverado has the most comfortable ride. Smaller pickups with smaller engines ride rough and their engines heave their guts out and guess what, that Silverado gets almost the same fuel mileage and will take you up the hills with far less strain.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
When it comes to pickup trucks, the Silverado has the most comfortable ride. .
Last month I took the Silverado, Dodge 1500 and the Ford F150 for a test drive. My co pilot and myself decided the Dodge was the hands down winner in the comfortable ride category. Did not even feel at all like I was driving a truck. Felt like a car. We actually went out of our way looking for speed bumps to take it over just to see how it did on those as well.

Same day took the Silverado and the Ford down the same roads. While both where pretty comfortable rides compared to trucks of years gone by I have to say both felt more like I have come to expect a truck to feel like, far more than the Dodge did.

Nope did not buy the Dodge could not get my head around the shifter being a knob on the dash and a few other things I found quirky.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #46

Carol, now that is a great comparrison and well appreciated.
Our Silverado is a 2007 and obviously things have changed.
2WD ride better than 4WD and some models have different suspension packages.

If I were to look for a new truck, i would most defiantly give the Dodge a look and drive test.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Floyd just went off the deep end.
When it comes to pickup trucks, the Silverado has the most comfortable ride. Smaller pickups with smaller engines ride rough and their engines heave their guts out and guess what, that Silverado gets almost the same fuel mileage and will take you up the hills with far less strain.
Smaller trucks set up right are a joy to drive and out handle oversized trucks by a huge margin. Plus, it can fit in a parking spot and you can actually look into the box.

After 16 years of towing everything from car trailers to travel trailers with my little 3400 pound truck,its "guts" are still intact and up for the task of towing the Scamp across the country then out for a fun day on twisty mountain roads.
BTW; I've been known to take an occasional Silverado home on my car dolly.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #48

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Carol, I have a drop hitch receiver that your raise and lower,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I suppose it depends on the truck but from Scamps web site the ball hitch height on a Scamp 13' is about 18 inches high for the 13 foot trailer and 21 inches high for the 16 foot trailer. The very top of the hitch receiver on a new Ford F150 4x4 is about 24". The Dodge Ram 1500 is about the same maybe even a little bit lower. So one should have no problem finding a drop receiver that would work.
: with a Allen Wrench, so easy.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
2WD ride better than 4WD and some models have different suspension packages.

If I were to look for a new truck, i would most defiantly give the Dodge a look and drive test.
My test drives were all 4 WD, including the Dodge 1500. I seem to think that getting in and out of the Dodge was a bit easier as well. May have been a bit lower to the ground than the others. Not sure on that point though.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Smaller trucks set up right are a joy to drive and out handle oversized trucks by a huge margin. Plus, it can fit in a parking spot and you can actually look into the box.
Problem is that there are not any smaller trucks around anymore. Which is why used Rangers are in high demand. You should have bought a dozen of then Floyd

Most of the newer midsize are close to the size of a full size trucks of a decade ago. All the mid sizes are MUCH bigger than the your old Ford Ranger. Its even hard to see into and reach items in the back of my 4 WD Frontier for example.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Problem is that there are not any smaller trucks around anymore. Which is why used Rangers are in high demand. You should have bought a dozen of then Floyd

Most of the newer midsize are close to the size of a full size trucks of a decade ago. All the mid sizes are MUCH bigger than the your old Ford Ranger. Its even hard to see into and reach items in the back of my 4 WD Frontier for example.
You've got that right!
Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #52

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:

Quite correct there, my Frontier weighs just a tad over 5,000 pounds. I once owned a 1982 Ford F-150 Super Cab that weight around 3,800 pounds. The mid sized trucks of today seem to be as large as I would ever care to own. Ford is to reintroduce the Ranger in a couple of years, it will be interesting to see what it will be.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #53

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
------------------------------<o> ---------------------------------

With a smaller truck you can't go to a larger camper , but you can get better gas mileage as you pull into a smaller parking space or a smaller camp site. ! lol
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #54

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm Rintel View Post
I am looking at 2 vehicles right now one is a 3/4 ton chevy 2wd (I know the truck) it's set up for towing. The other is a 1999 Ford Ranger 4wd towing package well kept and maintained.
You didn't say what year the chevy was.
I tow with a 4.0l 94 Ranger 4x4. Check the manual, mine gives a maximum total frontal area as well as towing capacities based on options. Basic maintenance parts are getting hard to find. Parking brake cables, rear drums etc. take a while to locate. Some parts can't be had. There is a little ball on the end of the shift tube that the tranny shift cable clips onto. Mine has worn/rusted so it is smaller and the new tranny cable pops off every now and then. The ball can't be replaced. The shift tube has been out of stock for years. I had to MacGuyver a clip with some Stainless steel wire and cable ties to keep the tranny cable on.

Quote:
2 wd tricks are light in the back end and real poor in the snow.
My 4 wd is pretty light on the rear end as well.

The transfer case is way up front. 4wd is a push button and the vehicle has to be moving for it to engage. It disengages by going in the opposite direction. 4wd on dry pavement is a no no for this truck. So in the big city with early and heavy salting you rarely need 4wd and when you do you have to remember to engage it while moving before you start to lose traction.
I've had the truck over 10 years. A little over 150,000 km on it. At most I've only "needed" 4wd a few times a year and half the time I couldn't get it to engage. For me, I'm thinking 2 wd with positrack would suit my needs.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
------------------------------<o> ---------------------------------

With a smaller truck you can't go to a larger camper , but you can get better gas mileage
Actually a number of the full size trucks get better gas milage than my 2011 V6 Frontier. Times are a changing. More power does not necessarily translate to a loss of gas milage these days.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Actually a number of the full size trucks get better gas milage than my 2011 V6 Frontier. Times are a changing. More power does not necessarily translate to a loss of gas milage these days.
True that! The problem is that more efficiency should not result in bigger trucks. The assumption seems to be that everyone would want a grotesquely oversized truck if only it got 30mpg.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #57

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope we all know that newer big trucks can get better gas mileage than older small trucks, Carol. But you only included part of my quotation ...... and not the ( lol ). That meant it was a bit of a joke. About tight spaces . . . . ( L O L )
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #58

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Off topic, but since we've beat this one to death, it probably doesn't matter...

Would someone explain the practice of inserting several rows of dashes before starting a post? I've observed it before but don't have a clue...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
True that! The problem is that more efficiency should not result in bigger trucks. The assumption seems to be that everyone would want a grotesquely oversized truck if only it got 30mpg.
Agree would be thrilled to have a truck with a smaller foot print with the same specs that would do the job its required for.

But the bigger is better phenomena is not restricted to the newer model trucks. Take a look at many of the compact cars! Many of the small car models that were made two decades ago and are still being sold today with the same name are much larger than the previous generation models of them. But at the same time parking spots are getting smaller. Go figure.

Funny enough The Pathfinder is an example of mid size vehicle that seems to have gone full swing on size. It originally was a fairly small SUV - then it got much bigger in size. In 2010 for example it was actually had the same foot print and mass as the Nissan truck. Mass wise the Pathfinder was actually larger than the truck.

Saw a new Pathfinder the other day and it totally redesigned and its smaller again. I assume its due to it have been switch from a truck based to a Unibody.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #60

Little Big Truck - We also have a 2012 Frontier V6 and it looks to me to be as large as the Titan. The Titan has a V8.

The Frontier gets almost the same fuel mileage as our V8 2007 Silverado.

Tags
scamp