Trip Report - 111 days, 18,700 Miles - Escape 17B - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Trip Report - 111 days, 18,700 Miles - Escape 17B

I just finished a Spring/Summer trip around the Western US & Canada pulling an Escape 17B with a RAV4. Had a great time, saw over 20 National Parks & Monuments and twice that number of state parks.

Rather than cut & paste all the journal entries here, I'll provide a couple of links. A Blogspot journal with a limited number of photos is here, and a series of web pages with more photos starts here.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
What an amazing jouorney and your pictures are phenominal. Thank you for sharing...gives me something to aim for when Mr. 2yax and I hit the road when I retire next year.

I haven't explored your sites completely, so please excuse if I ask this and it was adressed somewhere....what kind of camera are you using? The color and clarity of the pictures is awesome.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Another thanks for the wonderful pictures and reports. It has inspired me get back out there next summer!

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Beautiful Color combo with tow/trailer! Is your RAV4 the V6 model? How do you think it did through all the mountains?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Thanks all. The RAV4 is the V6 with tow package. As to the mountains, it did fine, although I'm not in a race! I usually drive 57mph in 4th gear (no overdrive); the best combination of speed & gas mileage. I did slow down on 8%-9% grades, sometimes down to 2nd gear, but I feel it is a good combination.

As to the camera, I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D700, a full frame digital SLR with a number of different lenses.

Thanks again

Jon
Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler hunting
British Columbia
What a fantastic read!

Wow, what a heap of miles you put on! I read somewhere in your post that your GPS has the name, Matilda, as given by your late wife. I'm sorry if I missed something, but did you do this entire trip by yourself? If so, bravo for driving and navigating at the same time. Not a single scratch or bump, if I read it correctly.

Anyway, it's always so much work to keep a blog up-to-date complete with pictures, but you did an excellent job. The photos are a great add-on to text-only entries. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Lastly, did you find the Escape met all your needs or would a larger trailer be the way to go? We've been to the factory in Chilliwack and like the design and features of the Escape. They're a wee bit on the pricey side, but if it doesn't give me grief on the road then it's worth the premium price. Thanks again for the great blog post.
Cheers!
Kevin
lookinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Yes, it was a solo trip.

As to the Escape, If I had a truck prior to purchase, the 5th wheel probably would have been my choice. Still, the 17B met all my needs. Towed well, plenty of room for one or two, and when friends visited all 3 of us were comfortable. All in all, I'm a happy camper. I'm finishing a early Fall trip to the Niagara Wine Escape & Letchworth State Park today, and plan to follow the Fall colors south in a few weeks...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

Name: Lex
Trailer: BIOD
Drenyhe
Registry
Hi Jon,
While surfing your webpages I came across this one: The Niagara Wine Escape, 2011
Nice pictures and a nice campground.
We discovered the campground in 2009 and Alf & Mary Anne paid us a visit while we were camping. In a way it was the start of Niagara Wine Escapes. Alf and Mary Anne took us on a wine tour. It is nice to see the gatherings are still fun :-)
Imho the report of the Niagara Wine Escape earns its own entry in this forum
Lex
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #9

New York
Registry
I believe it does: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-46588.html

Tags