Just getting started with a '99 Scamp 16' l/o #6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Just getting started with a '99 Scamp 16' l/o #6

We're pretty excited about bringing home a new-to-us baby bean this past week; figuring out priorities. It's in good shape. Needs curtains (I can sew), a bit of hardware and some shine outisde. One curtain bracket needs a new rivet and looks kind of like the rivets go in from the back side?---go figure. So far we haven't been able to release the awning latch to pull open & see what shape it's in. Any expert insight for these issues would be nice. It looks like one dinette table overhead light will need to be replaced for deterioriated plastic. I saw some mention about going with LED's but not sure we need to try anything that ambitious for awhile. I've seen stock pics showing a stove cover for a 2-burner but not shown in the parts store---maybe as simple as an 800 call?
Steve n Donna M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Donna.
There are lots and lots of helpful people here.
And lots and lots of other Scamp owners.

For best results, lots and lots of pictures will
help everyone know what you have and/or need.

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Congratulations on getting a great little trailer. My advice...don't worry about trying to make it perfect before you use it. Just make it safe and comfortable. Then make memories. There's lots of info here on this forum to answer all your questions. It will be helpful to post some pictures.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

Name: Russ & Vivian
Pennsylvania
If your awning is like mine on a 91 Scamp 16ft, there is a long rod that you insert into the holes at the center of the awning, slide to the right and drop the support arm and same for the left, you can either put the base of the support arms into the bracket on the trailer or stake them down.

Not sure if this is what your looking for or not.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...er-detail.html
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

Missouri
Cleanup in progress

Thanks Shadow for the link to the stove cover--somehow missed that on the site. Pricey but great for prepspace I think. Yep, we found the way the awning is supposed to work, just hasn't yet

We gave the inside a good cleanup and moved it under cover to continue on the outside--eventually. Crazy Missouri weather---cold and snowy off and on the past few days. I'm calling it fluffy spring rain. No rush to get things done. So what's the favorite cleaner for the fiberglass?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi guys, you will love the your new egg. As far as cleaning fiberglass....inside or outside ? Inside I pretty much use a damp cloth with water as we really don't cook inside. Mostly just keeping up with any dust.
The outside depends on condition. My '06 Casita had sat outside in the last owners driveway for two years, medical issues. It had a light haze to the gel coat. After reading many posts on polishing the shell I went with the Zep. I did a very light wash down with a minimal amount of Barkeepers Friend and applied 5 coats of Zep. After four coats it looked really good but what the heck, five was easy. My egg sits uncovered for now, (the eggport is in the works), in the desert and the shine is great after a year. I have had a few people comment on the shine. One guy said he was glad he had his sunglasses on
I'm sure others will pop in soon.
BTW, it took longer to wash it down than it did to do the Zep.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Missouri
Working on the details for our '99 scamp 16 ft

We are slowly working on the punch list and hope to get this little bubble out yet this fall for a shakedown. I am going to try to post a few pics--new bedspread and curtains. (Tiebacks will Velcro to wall if we want light). sliced and hemmed from thermal and light blocking panels at the local Old Time Pottery store. Bedspread is a King quilt chopped way down with plenty left to make shams. If anyone has an answer we really want to know what the plastic bracket is on the wall above the single dinette (against the toilet wall). So far the refrig has not successfully been lit for propane test but furnace and stove are fine. Also we still need to figure out the awning---seems stubborn and needs to be pulled out of storage space to fully open IF it will cooperate

The exterior picture is prior to any cleanup, right after dragging it home. So far Steve has used MacGuires 3 step system. It took the oak tree grunge off OK. It's not super shiny but OK for now. It will need a belly band detail eventually and we'll see if we want lots more shine at some point. Like I mentioned before, this car guy can't quite bring himself to apply floor polish yet.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Donna & Steve
Attached Thumbnails
June 2014 download 007.jpg   summer 2014 download 084.jpg  

summer 2014 download 085.jpg   summer 2014 download 087.jpg  

summer 2014 download 086.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Donna M. View Post
If anyone has an answer we really want to know what the plastic bracket is on the wall above the single dinette (against the toilet wall). <cut> .

Also we still need to figure out the awning---seems stubborn and needs to be pulled out of storage space to fully open IF it will cooperate

You have done a nice job of making the trailer yours! Looks good.
Sorry have no idea what that plastic bracket is or was for.... not seen one before.

Regarding the awning- if its the Dometic/Catalina one I highly recommend reading and following the instructions for pulling out and putting away carefully. They are pretty easy to get mad at and jam back into the case but in doing so you are probable putting to much pressure on the end caps where the guides for the arms are and they will bend out of place - when that happens you will always have a hard time with it until you replace the end caps. Have found that when pulling it out and putting it back if I set the legs as high as they will go it will come out and go back in much easier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp