Help us make a decision Aliner or Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Aliner or Scamp
Aliner 1 2.70%
Scamp 36 97.30%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Help us make a decision Aliner or Scamp

Hi everyone! We're looking to buy a compact trailer/camper and have narrowed it down to the Scamp and the Aliner. Would like to hear what seasoned campers like you have to say. This is our first camper of any sorts.

Scamp Pros:
1. We like the look of it -- solid, fiberglass, round.
2. It has more headroom (when standing).
3. It's fully sealed, which means rain, bugs, etc., won't come in.
4. No assembly is required - it's ready to drive!

Scamp Cons:
1. It won't fit in our garage, so we'd need to pay to park it in an RV lot. Time spent to get to to house and pack it, and do the same when we return. Can't park in our community due to HOA
2. Used ones aren't typically available in our state (VA), so we'd need to either pick it up or have it delivered.

Aliner Pros:
1. It has more room in general - longer, more spacious.
2. It has a microwave (classic) - good for morning tea, etc.
3. It will fit in our garage, which makes it easier to just get up and go. We tend to be spontaneous, so it's more likely we'd use the camper if we had it readily available.
4. It's easy to tow since it's more compact.

Aliner Cons:
1. We don't like the look of it as much when it's up.
2. It's not fully sealed, which means bugs and water might come in.
3. It requires a simple assembly.
4. Reading that the floor starts leaking

Thanks in advance.
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Here's another thought, have you checked out www.escapetrailer.com yet? You didn't mention trailer length yet. Escape has 15' 17' 19' 21' and a 5th wheel.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Aliner isn't molded fiberglass, Scamp is

I think our opinions will be greatly biased due to the mission of this website.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gaurav,

It is possible to park a Scamp in a garage. David B(rown) parked his in his garage by changing the tires before storing it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Gaurav,

It is possible to park a Scamp in a garage. David B(rown) parked his in his garage by changing the tires before storing it.
That kind of kills the spontaneity factor, though it does save the expense of storage fees.

I have friends with Aliners and Chalets who like them a lot, but they are pretty new so long-term issues are just popping up. (No pun intended.) Friends with Scamps, too. Have you looked at where you'd have to store it and how much $$? Storage fees for ten years might pay the difference between a Scamp still being usable and an Aliner needed to be replaced or repaired. And storing in the garage probably helps the lifespan of an Aliner.

I bought my Campster (very old) due to being able to store it in a garage and i think that is a big plus. Best of both worlds. But not as spacious inside as a Scamp, and harder to find (though used is a given..)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Help us make a decision Aliner or Scamp

Seem to recall there's one forum member who previously had a FGRV and now owns an Aliner. If you did a search for "Aliner" you should turn up his post about it. You could send him a PM asking for his thoughts. Unless you've used both, it's mostly speculation. FWIW, I'd choose the egg for wind stability, leak resistance, and (most of all) resale value. The latter could offset the cost of storage, though not the inconvenience. I did look at an Aliner. BTW- Norm's suggestion might work, but only on the 13' models and not with roof AC.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
I'll second Bobbie's suggestion of a Campster or a Hunter Compact. But only for two people.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We had a Chalet. Loved it. Much roomier than our Trillium. It towed well and like an egg you are always giving tours. But....

1) every time you stop and want to go into your trailer you have to open it up. A quick bathroom break is not as quick.

2) Until you lock it, the only thing holding the roof halves together is a bungie cord. Wind is an issue.

3) Lots of moving parts to wear out.

4) what keeps the water out at the joints is foam. It always needs attention.

5) there are very few 20 year old A frames on the road.

We had ours for 4 years. We replaced it with a molded fiberglass trailer because it addresses all these issuses. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Using an inexpensive electric impact wrench and a floor jack, changing two tires is a 15 minute operation with a Scamp. Then it can often be fitted into a garage.

With the "A" liner, to get ready you will usually have to pull it out, set it up, stock everything you need and then put it down to tow, then repeat when you get home.

With the Scamp it is always ready to stock and go, even including having the refrigerator cold and stocked and, in a pinch it can double as a spare bedroom for unexpected company.

As mentioned, Campsters and Hunters are another choice and they garage as-is. For two of us I find ours perfect.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Thanks for all the replies. We need room for 3 and looking at scamp 13 and Aliner 12/10. Hope this helps.

Rv parking here is around $1100 a year closer and about $600 a little farther out.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As you will find out, spontaneity doesn't happen all that often. If nothing else, depending on where you want to camp, you will find that reservations, sometimes months in advance, are often necessary. And, to save $100 a month, I can change a pair of tires several times and keep the Scamp in the garage and not out in an RV storage yard, exposed to that lovely VA weather. (I lived in Springfield for 10 years)

And Ya, three peeps is a deal breaker for the Campster and the Hunter FGRV's

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Not being able to park my trailer at home can be a PITA, but I've learned to manage. I live in northern VA and park the trailer about 30 minutes away for about $600/year. I am not limited to a particular size as the storage lot will take any size trailer or RV. Another plus is that the storage area is on the way to the vast majority of the places I like to camp so it really is not out-of-the-way.

I second the notion of checking out the Escapes. They are wonderful trailers. I've had mine for over a year and have had zero issues with it. Escape offers a 15 foot trailer and will build it with or without a bath.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I can't fathom not being able to park my trailer at home nor paying big bucks to store it (somewhere else). Personally that would kill the whole deal and I would just do without. But more to the topic, my Mother had a pop-up, a brand new clean one. She used it and enjoyed it but the experience was still enough to convince me that I did not want to pop, slide, or tip any dadgum thing, ever. I stopped at a second hand store today (Saturday) I had driven by a million times but had never stopped at before. Out back they had a real classic, a Scotty "Sportsman". It was clapped out (rotten) and not worth saving, a real shame. They also had an Avion that was a Cadillac camper in the day, but was now just a mess. I see stuff like that and think about how good a shape my 26 year old Scamp is in, and will still be in years from now, and feel pretty good about the old egg (sitting in the backyard). Anyway, you pays your money and makes your choices, just be aware with the Aliner you may be buying a depreciating asset.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Gaurav,

Here is how I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01352.jpg   DSC01355.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #15

Florida
David, Apparently the Scamp 16 is 4 inches taller than a Scamp 13. Would a Scamp 16 fit in your garage? Does the Snoozy fit in your garage?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Post-fire (2007+) 13' Scamps are a few inches taller. Could be deal-breaker in terms of garageability.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #17

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
Have you looked at Lil Snoozy ?
Our Hunter 1 fit nicely in the garage.....but.......now we have Snoozy.
We hate to pay for storage but..........found a friend w/ lots of room next to their trailer in the back yard...........End up giving them a $100 every 3 or 4 months and we're all happy.
Best of all they don't mind us plugging the charger into their elect.
And their dog discourages "visitors."
Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Advantage Scamp...
Stopping for lunch and a nap, or to change clothes and freshen up.
Staying overnight at Walmart or a rest area.
Arriving late at campground or staying in the staging area... set-up can wait, simply unlock the door grab a snack and get some sleep!
Staying where hardsides are required (often A-liners count as soft sides).
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #19

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp, no A/C on roof. It fits in the garage with 8' door. I can back it into the driveway, lining it up to the garage door, unhook, and push it into the garage. Very convenient to load/unload. Can be used as a spare bedroom for loud snoring relatives. Has all the comforts of home, TV, electric, water, bathroom. Can be used as an office when not on the road. Go Fiberglass.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #20

Florida
In part it depends what kind of camping you plan. If you're a weekend camper, it may not matter.

If you're a long range camper, as Floyd states, it's nice to be able to stop anywhere and use your rig. I remember driving across Labrador and stopping in the highway for Lunch, no rest areas, no restaurants, just stopping in the road, opening the door and have lunch or a short break.

It's nice to stop in a campground in a pouring rain and just go inside, no real set up required.

We view our trailer as a little house on wheels, always ready for occupation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
scamp