Help us make a decision Aliner or Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Aliner or Scamp
Aliner 1 2.70%
Scamp 36 97.30%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #61

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm. aliner.com sez 30 seconds to set up and the well rehearsed video was a little longer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #62

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Also, unlike a pop up they only take 5-10 seconds to set up. The problem is setting up draws attention. We stopped at a grocery store in Wyoming to do some shopping. I set up and went in to use the porta pot. Here's some guy with his nose against the window trying to look in. Luckily the windows were mirror glass. I opened the door and startled him. Twenty minutes later I got into the store. Raz

Wow, you must be very agile. I've owned two Aliners and Columbia Northwest used to advertise 30 second set up. The fastest I was ever able to do it (when I was trying to see how fast it could be done) was 19 seconds. That was from standing outside the door with both side latches disengaged. Took 19 seconds to push the roof up, step inside, raise and latch each side.

The only leak I ever had in either Aliner was along the front roof section hinge when I was driving for 2 hours in one of the heaviest rainstorms I ever encountered (ahh, Florida in the summer). I found a sleeping bag on the dinette bed had a small moist area, maybe 4" by 4".

On the other hand, upon returning home from Backus after picking up my Scamp I pulled both Fantastic Fans and put butyl tape underneath them because I had heard from other Scamp owners that many leak within a year or two. What I found is that Scamp's idea of a "quality" installation involves cutting a hole, dropping it in, and running a bead of silicon around the edge and over the rivets. NO butyl tape used, at least in my Scamp 19 Deluxe. Unfortunately, I finished the reinstallation with silicon, then was told I should have used a different edge sealant. A year after that, I had an acquaintance in NH who called me telling me their almost new Scamp was leaking around the Fantastic Fan. No butyl tape there, either. My point is ALL TRAILERS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO SPRING A LEAK!

Many valid points have been made for both trailers but IMHO, an Aliner is more fuel efficient and easier to tow and will fit in any garage, but the Scamp is more convenient and comfortable once on site. And frankly, I personally don't give a damn about resale value because I do not make purchasing decisions based on resale value; I buy what I like and what will best suit my needs. So in choosing one has to decide where he/she is willing to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #63

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nope, Aliners are considered hardside trailers and are allowed in bear-country CGs where tent-side popups are not.
You may be right, I have no personal experience except one thread on a blog and at least one report from an Aliner owner.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #64

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
On the other hand, upon returning home from Backus after picking up my Scamp I pulled both Fantastic Fans and put butyl tape underneath them because I had heard from other Scamp owners that many leak within a year or two. What I found is that Scamp's idea of a "quality" installation involves cutting a hole, dropping it in, and running a bead of silicon around the edge and over the rivets. NO butyl tape used, at least in my Scamp 19 Deluxe. Unfortunately, I finished the reinstallation with silicon, then was told I should have used a different edge sealant. A year after that, I had an acquaintance in NH who called me telling me their almost new Scamp was leaking around the Fantastic Fan. No butyl tape there, either. My point is ALL TRAILERS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO SPRING A LEAK!
Mine? Properly installed and ten years without a problem.
While I disagree with your assessment of "Scamp's idea of a quality installation" ,your other points are valid.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #65
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Wow, you must be very agile.
Yup. Perhaps it's quicker with a Chalet??
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #66

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Columbia Northwest invented the design. Chalet is a copy cat. Maybe better. I don't know. I've only had experience with the two Aliners.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you use laminate flooring get the type that is clearly marker "Waterproof". The smallest spill left over night in a throw rug can destroy some laminates.
Good point, but even with "waterproof" laminate flooring... I find it best, as I earlier described, to seal the surface. We have laminate in our house and it is sealed then maintained once a year, just like our camper floor.
I would do the same with sheet vinyl as well, even though it is seamless.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #68

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Who would of thought to use Red Max Pro on the floor?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #69

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's not the surface of laminate floor that's the problem. It's what happens if any water gets in the joints or at the ends, or gets under the flooring that is the issue. Again, for a few extra $$ for a small amount, the stuff marked "waterproof" is a good investment.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #70

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Who would of thought to use Red Max Pro on the floor?
Dave & Paula
What!? Do you think it would work on a floor??
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's not the surface of laminate floor that's the problem. It's what happens if any water gets in the joints or at the ends, or gets under the flooring that is the issue. Again, for a few extra $$ for a small amount, the stuff marked "waterproof" is a good investment.
Right, the purpose of sealing the surface is to prevent moisture from penetrating it at the seams and to facilitate clean-up as well as to keep the shine.
This helps keep the subfloor dry as well.

Tags
scamp